You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vATIS custom voice pack (SAPI5)

Joel Strikovsky 1136335

Joel Strikovsky 1136335
Posted
Posted

Hi there, how can I set vATIS to use a different TTS Voice Pack (Any SAPI5 TTS Voice Pack) I have Installed on my PC?

e.g. IVONA SAPI5 voice pack

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Not possible. vATIS uses its own speech synthesizer which cannot be changed.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Joel Strikovsky 1136335
Posted
Posted

heeem.

that's a shame. the voice synthesizer just sounds dreadful.

I tired using it the other day for the 1st time and I got many complaints from Pilots at my airspace that ATIS sounds awful, How they described it: "they feel they are space troopers".

I tend to agree with them.

Currently the built in EuroScope ATIS voices sounds much better.

Even the Windows OS Built in SAPI "Microsoft Anna" sounds much better.

I wish you could add at least the Option for those who want to use the SAPI5 Voice pack (like a check box or something)

there are so many free SAPI voice packs out there that we can use, all we need is the option in the tool rather to use a SAPI5

voice pack or the built in synthesizer.

In the mean time I can't use this tool, I don't want to be yelled at by Pilots

It is a Show Stopper , Deal Breaker for me.

Shame, the tool seems to be amazing and has very good potential , until it opened his mouth

Anyway, thank you for the effort , much appreciated.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Then don't use it.

vATIS was built to replicate the real-world D-ATIS system used in the United States, thus the reason for the choice of voice synthesizer. I won't be adding support for third-party SAPI voices.

Listen to JFK or ATL ATIS and you'll see what I mean...

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=kjfk_atis&icao=kjfk

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=katl_atis_arr&icao=katl

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

Serious question,

How can I replicate the annoying pauses that the KDCA ATIS has for realism sake?

Departures may request runway one . . . five or three three for faster departure.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
Serious question,

How can I replicate the annoying pauses that the KDCA ATIS has for realism sake?

Departures may request runway one . . . five or three three for faster departure.

I just tried it with the following and it seemed to work:

Departures may request runway one. five or three three for faster departure.

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

Ah okay so throwing a period wherever I want awkward pauses works. Thanks!

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Joel Strikovsky 1136335
Posted
Posted
Then don't use it.

vATIS was built to replicate the real-world D-ATIS system used in the United States, thus the reason for the choice of voice synthesizer. I won't be adding support for third-party SAPI voices.

Listen to JFK or ATL ATIS and you'll see what I mean...

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=kjfk_atis&icao=kjfk

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=katl_atis_arr&icao=katl

I understand your point, however don't forget that many of us (if not Most of VATSIM users) are based out-side

of the United States, which doesn't have the "Star Trooper" voice ATIS.

if possible, all it takes is a simple radio button in the User settings "SAPI5 / Windows Voice" or "built in voice", as it is now and call for the windows SAPI5 API/DLL if SAPI5 was picked.

I am sure many of us would appreciate this new function. you can even leave the built-in Voice as the default.

I am always in favor of enhancing a Product, in many cases the use case of a product that was originally aimed for and planned by a developer changes based on many factors.

I myself had to change my Products I developed 180 degrees then what I thought it should be , based on customer needs.

why not make this small amazing tool into a great thing and not limit it's functionality to "mimicking the United State ATIS".

Don't forget many of us are ICAO simmers not FAA.

I can help if you want. If you find it to hard or you find no time for it, just give me the source code, I'll be more then happy adding this feature for you,

I'll even do the Docomeentation part for you that explains what SAPI5 is and how to use it with custom VoicePack.

it is not the 1st time I develop TTS products, BTW.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Joel. However, as I've said before, I have no plans on expanding vATIS to use other TTS voice packs. When building the application, my one and only intention was to simulate the D-ATIS system...not other ATIS systems.