You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot Aircraft Configuration Sync feature now available

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

To all vPilot users:

I've just finished making available a new version of vPilot which implements a new extension to the VATSIM network protocol known as "ACCONFIG". This protocol enables pilot clients to exchange information in real time about their aircraft configuration, such as which lights are on, whether or not the gear is down, how much the flaps are extended, etc. To help ensure compatibility with future clients, this protocol extension was created by a team of developers including myself and several members of the swift development team.

Version 1 of the protocol supports exchanging the following information between clients:

• Landing gear down (yes/no)
  • Spoilers deployed (yes/no)
  • Aircraft is on the ground (yes/no)
  • Flaps extension (percentage)
  • Strobe lights on (yes/no)
  • Landing lights on (yes/no)
  • Taxi lights on (yes/no)
  • Beacon lights on (yes/no)
  • Navigation lights on (yes/no)
  • Logo lights on (yes/no)
  • Which engines are running

In order to ensure a thorough test of this new feature in vPilot, I've decided to release it as an open beta. To facilitate providing access to beta versions of vPilot, I have updated the built-in auto-update feature so that the user can choose from one of two channels: "Stable" and "Beta". The current stable version (1.1.5507.32103) adds a new option in the settings window where you can choose which update channel you want to use. This will be set to "Stable" by default. If you change it to "Beta", then restart vPilot, it will check to see if there is an open beta version that is newer than the version you are currently running, and allow you to download and install it. The latest Stable and Beta versions are also available for download from the vPilot web site.

The latest version in the Beta channel is 1.1.5507.32141, and this is the version that adds ACCONFIG support. I encourage everyone to switch to the Beta channel and download this version so that we can get a good number of users testing out this new feature. Those of you that do regular group flights with friends and VA members, please point them to this thread so that they can learn how to grab the beta version and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist with testing. Obviously, you can't really test out this new feature unless other aircraft nearby are also using it.

Please let me know if you see any issues. Thanks, and enjoy!

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Kevin Jarvis
Posted
Posted

I've downloaded and installed the latest beta.

I can see ATL_1_CTR online even though I'm near St. Louis.

And the radio is not tuned to ATL CTR.

FSX Gold

Win7 Home 32bit

Thanks.

FSELogo.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I've downloaded and installed the latest beta.

I can see ATL_1_CTR online even though I'm near St. Louis.

And the radio is not tuned to ATL CTR.

That's unrelated to the vPilot update .... it's a bug in the server code that causes controllers to appear where they shouldn't. Happens after a server split, I believe.

Kevin Jarvis
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross.

FSELogo.png

Stefano Amatore 1281869
Posted
Posted

thansk!

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

Thanks for making this update, Ross. Here's a log from one of my recent flights on the BETA.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pn1kck3t1ak03do/Debug-20150113164130.zip

2uo1990.png

You don't need Red Bull to get your wings.

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted
Thanks for making this update, Ross. Here's a log from one of my recent flights on the BETA.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pn1kck3t1ak03do/Debug-20150113164130.zip

What am I looking for here?

There's a number of instances where the client receives information about an aircraft that switches back and forth between "true" and "false", most of which gets rejected because the aircraft is not recognized.

2uo1990.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
There's a number of instances where the client receives information about an aircraft that switches back and forth between "true" and "false", most of which gets rejected because the aircraft is not recognized.

That's not a problem ... just means the aircraft is out of range. The config changes are broadcast by the server to all aircraft within *radio* range, which is often much higher than the range at which vPilot actually renders aircraft in the sim.

Don't worry about stuff you see in the debug log ... any real errors that need your attention would be in red in the main window.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The ACCONFIG functionality is now in the Stable version, which I made available a few minutes ago. Stable and Beta channels both point to the same version currently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Ross,

This is a remarkable feature...thank you and the development team for creating and implementing it. Efforts such as these, by developers such as yourself, truly keep making this hobby even MORE "as real as it gets".

Mere mortals such as myself are simply amazed that this can be done and shudder to think what you guys may come up with next.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

The difference is completely noticeable on those AI models with animated components. Thank you for implementing this feature.

2uo1990.png