You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot voice problem

Dhagash Kapadia

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Hi, I quite recently got a new microphone. It so happens that when I try to transmit through vPilot, the transmission button gets highlighted, but the controller doesn't receive my voice. On his side, he has the receiving icon highlighted, but he can't hear me. Except vPilot, my mic works perfectly in other softwares like TeamSpeak, etc. I tried reinstalling vPilot as well as reinstalling windows, but that didn't help. Earlier it used to work fine with my inbuilt webcam + mic. Ever since I moved to a new one, it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What are the results of the mic calibration in vPilot?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

The voice calibration says 'speech drowned out' and squelch 13.87

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the mic is muted or the record volume level is very low.

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

How can I unmute it/increase voice level for vPilot? (its the same calibration for Euroscope as well). Only VATSIM clients don't receive my voice. Rest all work perfectly.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know ... maybe there's something about your audio device driver that is incompatible with the VATSIM voice code that all clients use.

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Well.........its just a plug-and-play device. A driver isn't needed for it. Are any further solutions available?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

All hardware uses a driver ...

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Um........well, this one doesn't need an external installer for a driver. It's installed automatically. I tried reinstalling it, but that still didn't help. Is this an only vPilot and Euroscope problem? Or it may occur with SquawkBox or FSInn too?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

its possible you may be running another program thats using the same port and blocking vpilot. although i dont believe that would have any affect while you are calibrating the mic, just when you try to transmit

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Try switching your device mode (Wave vs. Directsound).

Also, and it's happened before to others (and me, by the way!) as a simple oversight, so no insults meant, but verify that the audio device (headset) you're trying to use is truly the one that is selected in vPilot. I think that that when I have switched headsets before, or sometimes plugged in my headset after starting vPilot, I had to go in and ensure the correct device was selected.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Um........well, this one doesn't need an external installer for a driver.

That just means the driver is included with Windows.

Is this an only vPilot and Euroscope problem? Or it may occur with SquawkBox or FSInn too?

You're the only one that can answer that.

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Ok, confirmed, even in FSInn voice doesn't work.

So in short almost all VATSIM clients don't work with voice. The transmit button will be highlighted (in FSInn transmit sound will be heard), but the other side still won't hear.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I can't remember, and I'm sure Ross or someone will chime in, whether if the UDP 3290 port were blocked, if the PTT keypress would indicate a transmission and just not allow the voice, or if there would be no PTT indication.

Here are a few thoughts, in descending order of likelihood of helping (you can tell I'm really grasping at straws after the first couple):

The first two steps are covered in the vPilot Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide

1. Please verify that UDP port 3290 is forwarded on your router.

2. Another possible cause is that your antivirus/firewall is blocking the UDP port. You will need to either close conflicting applications and/or ensure your antivirus/firewall will accommodate any of the pilot clients. You can test this by temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall, starting vPilot, do a transmission test, and seeing if that solves the issue.

3. One other thought, since you mentioned FSInn, ensure the FSFDT control panel (which handles voice for FSINN) is not set to autostart. If it is, it will take control of the UDP port, not allowing other programs access. The flaws in that thought is that FSInn should work, and vPilot mic calibration should work.

4. If you have access to another headset, even one that you could borrow to test, plug that in and then try again and see if you can isolate to how the headset is interacting with the programs.

5. I know this last one is a long shot (which is why I listed it last ) since you said your microphone was working with other audio applications, but this issue could also appear if your computer isn't recognizing your input sound device is installed (or configured as active). With vPilot running, on Windows, right click on the speaker symbol, then select Recording devices. Tap on your microphone or make a sound. Do you see the green bars move up ?

Don Desfosse

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Ernesto I just saw your post And yes, before starting vPilot I have checked all other voice clients are shut down. And Don - for now I use a headset only for speakers, and a desktop mic for my use (yes, those green bars move accordingly even if there's a slight noise out here somewhere). And I've been trying to post here since long, but my net would eventually screw up and disconnect me from browsing -_- Well, I've got an update, somehow I resetted my router to factory settings and when I transmitted, the controller said he could hear static noise, but no voice. So does this mean I'm a bit close to my solution?

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Uh and also I'm trying to forward UDP port 3290 in my Wi-Fi router, but tell me which app should I select from the entire list of games - http://prntscr.com/61w1bp for vPilot and FSInn

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Rober Wilco may work... but in the end, there should just be a "none" or blank option. The router doesn't need to know the application; it's only using that to determine the port numbers (which you already have).

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Ok, these are the port forwarding rules for my WiFi router. http://prntscr.com/642u48

I've got to get this mic working anyhow before 14th as I have my OTS then. I've tried almost everything you wrote Don, except the 4th one. The green bars in windows move up, and it works properly 5/5 with all other applications except VATSIM clients. This was my voice calibration in Euroscope after port forwarding - http://prntscr.com/642v81

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Short of obtaining a USB headset (either borrow for troubleshooting or purchase), which has an integrated sound card (so you'll need to remember to select your headset in your program), if you have already verified that you have selected the correct input device (e.g. under Primary Input Hardware), I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

Don Desfosse

Dhagash Kapadia
Posted
Posted

Ah ok, my other headset works perfectly. Only this desktop mic doesn't. Tried everything. Thanks for your help.