You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Aircraft disappearing and reappearing

Aleksi Laine

Aleksi Laine
Posted
Posted

Hello,

at least since the update where the aircraft configuration detection was added, I've seen this weird behavior. Aircraft disappear, only to reappear some seconds later. This might have happened earlier as well, but not with any version last year.

Example: after arrival at Toronto, I was taxiing behind an Air Canada 777, and during the 5 minutes I was behind him, he disappeared 3 times. Every time he reappeared, it triggered the touchdown smoke effect.

Also, if there's an aircraft that my model matching rules aren't absolutely sure of, then these disappearances can cause the aircraft to change. So far I've only seen livery changes, but for example one time I was next to an American 737. When he began to push back, he disappeared and returned two seconds later as an Alaskan 737, still pushing.

I've also had many unhandled .NET framework exceptions coming from vPilot, and this has definitely only happened after the configuration update, and the error log says something about "config". I don't have the log to attach here now, but I can do that when I get it next time. It gives you the option to "Continue" or "Quit", and there seems to be no problem after pressing "Continue".

Thanks,

Aleksi

Aleksi Laine

Vatsim-Scandinavia S3 Controller

1238102.png1238102.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Aircraft disappearing and reappearing would normally be caused by network lag causing vPilot to think the aircraft has logged off. You should run vPilot in debug mode and when an aircraft disappears, you'll see an entry in the debug window messages that gives the reason for the disconnect.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 4 weeks later...
David Papp
Posted
Posted

Hi !

I have a big problem like this. The other aircraft models are disapperaing. I can only see them NAV lights and the labels over them, but they can't reappering, they stay invisible.

Please help me !

Thanks

David

18.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I can only see them NAV lights and the labels over them

Most folks with texture issues find that if they turn off DX10 mode, the textures all appear.

David Papp
Posted
Posted
Most folks with texture issues find that if they turn off DX10 mode, the textures all appear.

DX10 is always off.

18.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ive seen that happen. im [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming its either the model has a bad texture which the sim rejects to load or incompatible model as some AI go way back to fs2000/2002 and may not work in FSX/P3D

David Papp
Posted
Posted

Okay I've made a printscreen about a B763 in KIAD. ( You can see left and right nav and beacon lights. ) I have this problem in many times in Europe too. I can remember something like this among others in Oslo/NAX 738, in Alicante/772

Which AI pack is recommended ? ( Sometimes I can see that plane, that before that not, so probably it's not a model match problem. )

bug.jpg

18.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

run the vpilot debug mode, see which model is being loaded, then try replacing it (you can use the instructions in the vpilot docs to edit the rule set)

Dave Paige 925700
Posted
Posted

I've had a very similar in the past both on VATSIM and on Pilot Edge. The problem turned out to be 3rd party addon scenery. Once I removed the suspect scenery I could see the aircraft models again. In this case it was in SOCAL anytime I was near KLGB. It was the addon scenery for KLGB that was the culprit.

Dave

Dave Paige

PPL, ASEL, Instrument

925700.png

• 2 weeks later...
David Papp
Posted
Posted
I've had a very similar in the past both on VATSIM and on Pilot Edge. The problem turned out to be 3rd party addon scenery. Once I removed the suspect scenery I could see the aircraft models again. In this case it was in SOCAL anytime I was near KLGB. It was the addon scenery for KLGB that was the culprit.

Dave

That's right ! i've deleted my "wrong" scenery too, and the planes were there. In this case this is a very very big problem with vPilot. I tired with FAIB aircraft models, but they were wrong too. What can we do ?

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Dave

That's right ! i've deleted my "wrong" scenery too, and the planes were there. In this case this is a very very big problem with vPilot. I tired with FAIB aircraft models, but they were wrong too. What can we do ?

What do you mean when you say this is a problem with vPilot? Are you saying it only occurs when you use vPilot and not other clients like SB or FSInn?

Dave Paige 925700
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Just to be clear, when I had this problem, it occurred regardless of the client being used. It's a problem with something in certain scenery files NOT with any client. I don't know exactly what the problem is but it's scenery related. If I have Shez Ansari's latest KLGB scenery active it will cause this issue anywhere near LGB, as far north as VNY, in fact.

Dave

Dave Paige

PPL, ASEL, Instrument

925700.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Since it's not a client issue, have you contacted the author(s) of the faulty scenery? I, like Ross, was taken aback by the statement about a big problem with vPilot appearing here in the vPilot forum where this is a scenery issue.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

David Papp
Posted
Posted

Okay, scenery issue, but not with 1 scenery ! How could I write about this problem singly to Aerosoft, FSDT, Simwings, Flightbeam Studios, IMAGINE SIM and many freeware sceneries... With Sqawkbox I didn't have this problem. I can't understand how can sceneries generate this problem. Probably altitude problem ?

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Okay, scenery issue, but not with 1 scenery ! How could I write about this problem singly to Aerosoft, FSDT, Simwings, Flightbeam Studios, IMAGINE SIM and many freeware sceneries... With Sqawkbox I didn't have this problem. I can't understand how can sceneries generate this problem. Probably altitude problem ?

Hold on ... you're saying it's a scenery issue, but you're also saying you didn't have this issue with Squawkbox.

Another user in this thread, David Paige, is saying he has the problem regardless of client.

Can you, David Papp, confirm that the problem goes away when you use Squawkbox? (You would need to try it again with Squawkbox to confirm this conclusively ... don't just go from memory.)

David Papp
Posted
Posted

Okay, I will today install SB again and test it with the same scenery.

18.png

David Papp
Posted
Posted

So, it was a bit interesting.

With SB I saw only the shadows of the aircrafts.

With vPilot + VIP Model set only the shadows again.

But I tried with vPilot + FSX Default Aircraft and I saw every single aircraft, of course only the white A321, B738, etc ....

So the problem is probably with old models.

So I downloaded FAIB B738 for FSX and a RYR livery. And WOW there was that aircraft.

So when I download ICE AI for FSX there are all planes for FSX and can I create a new .vmr file for that ?

Thanks for help guys ! And sorry for disturbing !

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, you can create an ICE AI rule set. You might search around on these forums plus the vPilot forum to see if anyone has made one yet. I remember seeing mention of it once or twice.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I can't remember for sure, but I want to say that although it's been talked about a few times, I don't remember anyone actually doing one. Of course one option to creating one is to use VMRgenerator after you install the AI.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations