You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A little Help Please

Paul Crowley 852200

Paul Crowley 852200
Posted
Posted

Ok I must be missing a few things. Ok I installed it on the same drive as asrc. I added the ip address to asrc ip file. So if I understand this, I first open asrc, connect to the sweatbox server and then start sweatbox and connect. Is that first part correct? I guess I need a little more step bu step to figure this out. I read the maunal, I saw the flash presenation, but I still just don't get it. Any help would be great, I have some students that is would help alot and want to get started using it for some serious training.

Paul Crowley

ZJX Instructor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, you connect ASRC to the sweatbox server just like any other server. You configure ACSim with "sweatbox.vatsim.net" as the server, and your CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word in the appropriate boxes. You then open a sector file, then an aircraft file, and those aircraft will start to appear on your ASRC scope.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Paul Crowley 852200
Posted
Posted

Thanks me and ATM go on together and figured most of it out. Just trying to create situation files now for our airspace. Thanks

Paul Crowley

ZJX Instructor

Wayne Higgins 838379
Posted
Posted

Paul, I dont blame you at all.

We are certainly not "thick" anyone able to connect to any virtual aviation network must have some valuable IQ. Does anyone know what the format is for the Lat /Long?

Developers: Maybe some eg.s next to the fields would be a good idea - no????

Kind regards

Wayne Higgins

VATSAF Founder

VATSIM-South Africa (http://www.vatsaf.net.za)

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted
Paul, I dont blame you at all.

We are certainly not "thick" anyone able to connect to any virtual aviation network must have some valuable IQ. Does anyone know what the format is for the Lat /Long?

Developers: Maybe some eg.s next to the fields would be a good idea - no????

I had the same wonder, then i just opened one of those demo aircraft situation files, and saw that you need the degree.decimals

example: N045°30' W040°00'

will be: 45.5 (north, positive)

-40.0 (west, negative)

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Paul Crowley 852200
Posted
Posted

Also how about a break down on all the numbers that are in a situation file so we can easily create our own, I thought I had it figured out, but I was wrong.....lol

Paul Crowley

ZJX Instructor

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Sounds Good Idea!

Martin Leat

Paul Crowley 852200
Posted
Posted

Just not sure on the lat and long, I used the same numbers from asrc for a certain fix and that did not work at all, couldn't even see the aircraft on scope anywhere. So the numbers have to be in some type of order. LAMMA N029.00.52.020 W081.05.23.161

That is what I want, so I entered 029.00.52.020,081.05.23.161 and the aircraft does not show up at all. So I must be missing something here

Paul Crowley

ZJX Instructor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's a page for converting from Degrees/Minutes/Seconds format to Decimal format:

http://sundials.org/links/local/pages/dd_dms.htm

Degrees/Minutes/Seconds format is what sector files use. Decimal format is what ACSim uses.

For your example of N029.00.52.020 W081.05.23.161, you would enter "29 00 52.020" in the latitude box, and "81 05 23.161" in the longitude box. Notice I left the right-most decimal place intact. That's because the last two numbers are a fractional seconds value.

This converts to:

The longitude value is actually negative since it's a WEST value, so it's actually -81.089767.

Edited by Guest

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Callsign, squawk code, lat, lon, heading, altitude, airspeed, climb/descent rate

type, ac type, cruise speed, origin, etd, time of departure, cruise alt, destination, est hrs enroute, est min in route, alternate

Route of flight

Pilot Remarks

I put the

's in there to indicate a new line in the .acs file. With respect to the "type" parameter, it's I/V/S (for IFR, VFR, SVFR). As already discussed above, lat/lon are in degrees and decimal degrees.

A couple pointers/notes/recommendations on creating scenario files. Use either VRC (with .debug 1), or use another program which will give you lat/lon coordinates. I originally used FSNavigator and then Excel to batch convert all the position data for me.

If you have multiple STAR's into the TRACON, create a file for each STAR. Let's say you have 5 STAR's, create 5 files, one for each STAR. The hardest part is creating the scenarios at first, but once you do it, it's done. For each STAR, create a stream of aircraft which are at minimum MIT for your facility. Put perhaps 10-15 aircraft on the STAR.

Then, once you have everything constructed with one file for each STAR (now looking at 75 or so a/c with 5 STARS), create a file with departures, and one with some VFR's. You'll end up with a ton of aircraft (which you would never use all at once). Now, you can just pick and choose what aircraft you want in a particular scenario (or cut and paste various aircraft into a new scenario file). It's a LOT eaiser in the long run to have too many aircraft and just delete the ones you don't need, then trying to add them on the fly in ACSim.

This methodology provides instructors incredible flexibility. For instance if you just want to work with a student on merging two arrival streams, all you have to do is load those two files in ACSim. You can quickly write something to do text parsing for you.

Hope this helps.

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Mark Lee 855721
Posted
Posted

I had the same confusion when I started using it a while back. Another option is if you don't want to convert them yourself, you can enter the fix/navaid into AirNav.com and it will give you back the co-ordinates in both formats. Fairly simple! Once up and running it's an excellent training tool.

Mark Lee

Senior Controller

VATeir - Irish Region

Paul Crowley 852200
Posted
Posted

I finally got it, i tried using intersections as strting points but that does not work, so I started to use vor's and that worked like a charm. I guess LEESE is is Mississippi as well as the approach for KMCO, leese9 arrival. So that is why i wasn't really see the planes, there where in another state. Now quick question, is the departure time important?

Paul Crowley

ZJX Instructor

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

No that's just part of their flight plan. You don't even need to enter a flight plan if you don't want to.

Christopher Serio,

Developer XTower/AVC/XSB/ACSim (Sweatbox)

667.png