You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Friendly request for some ATC presence during the week

Can Agbaba 950792

Can Agbaba 950792
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have been flying on VATSIM since December 2005 now but have never had a chance to fly out of my home airport, CYUL (Montreal Pierre-Elliott Trudeau) because there is noone staffing this airport on week-nights like there is in US airports. Also, I've seen occasional presence at Vancouver and even Quebec but complete silence in Montreal.

This is frustrating and saddening for me for I like to fly in my home country and actually get to use my home airport. So I wanted to make a friendly urging to see if any ATC has the time to make to staff CYUL at least one week-night during the week. I cannot fly on week-ends as I work Sat-Mon inclusive so even Friday night fly-ins would be much appreciated.

John

Montreal, Canada

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Hello/Bonsoir,

CZUL_W_CTR covers Montreal airport; they are online fairly often.

Often times, an FIR cannot proceed to staffing the airport or region just based on one users request, but if you have an event planned with a group of friends, our online form at VATCAN should get you the coverage you need.

There are several short hops you can make into YUL, including CYYZ-CYUL, which is almost guaranteed to have ATC the entire length of the route.

Hope this helps,

Can Agbaba 950792
Posted
Posted

Hello Matthew,

I have monitored SERVINFO almost every week-night from Tuesday to Friday inclusive and never see CYUL online but do see CYVR or other Canadian airports online. CYUL does happen to be online now but it's the first time I've seen it online in at least 1-2 months and I do check 2-3 times a week with SERVINFO.

I would love to have friends join for a fly-in but I have no such flightsimming friends.

I'll try to check more diligently for SERVINFO from now on to see if I can catch CYUL online. As you mentioned, CYYZ - CYUL is a good short flight and I have even flown it offline to practice SIDs and STARs.

John

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Yes, CZUL was on tonight; try looking this Thursday, they usually come on and get some of the traffic going into Toronto Thursday

Hope you can catch them, its an awesome thing to hear ATC conducted in english and french!

• 2 weeks later...
Jean-Philippe Vallieres 92
Posted
Posted
Also, I've seen occasional presence at Vancouver and even Quebec but complete silence in Montreal.

WOW! Quebec? You've seen some in Quebec!!! I feel like I'm the only one from Quebec here and in about 1 year I've never seen any ATC coverage in Quebec! I don't blame anybody for that though, I understand Quebec is not THAT popular. In fact, many Americans come here in summertime asking us where the Indian Tipees and Inuit Igloos are!! WE'VE MOVED ON people we're in the 21st century!!! Hahaha Heck we even have high speed internet connection! haha

Maybe I'm not a genius in Math, but I'm always ON the numbers!

legendair2custom6mm.jpg

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

CYQB_V_APP 02/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 04/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 05/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 07/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 08/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 09/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 10/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 11/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 20/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 25/03/2006

Thats the most recent for YQB, March 25th.. only 4 days ago

They are online, you just have to look for them

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted
CYQB_V_APP 02/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 04/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 05/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 07/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 08/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 09/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 10/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 11/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 20/03/2006

CYQB_V_APP 25/03/2006

Thats the most recent for YQB, March 25th.. only 4 days ago

They are online, you just have to look for them

Oh now common Matt, we all know that was you the whole time!

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

I don't speak French to the degree that I would need it in order to work CYQB..

Can Agbaba 950792
Posted
Posted

Yes, Quebec City Jean Lesage is on but not Montreal. I tried a flight last Thursday from New York JFK to CYUL when I was delighted to see both New York and Montreal online .... *sigh* But by the time I did my flight plan, fuel planning and connected online at the gate at JFK ... Montreal was offline already. So I took off with ATC staffing in JFK and landed at a deserted Montreal Trudeau airport.

Perhaps one day, when I can do ATC training, I may have to staff Montreal myself... *sigh* But not just yet.

John

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Yes, Quebec City Jean Lesage is on but not Montreal. I tried a flight last Thursday from New York JFK to CYUL when I was delighted to see both New York and Montreal online .... *sigh* But by the time I did my flight plan, fuel planning and connected online at the gate at JFK ... Montreal was offline already. So I took off with ATC staffing in JFK and landed at a deserted Montreal Trudeau airport.

Perhaps one day, when I can do ATC training, I may have to staff Montreal myself... *sigh* But not just yet.

John

You must have a glitch in Servinfo; a friend of mine, Anthony Beliveau, controls CZUL_W_CTR fairly often. You'll end up with him sooner or later..

Perhaps! Instead of voicing your disappointment, you go right to the source; the VATCAN ZUL forums. Post there your thoughts of lack of ATC presence, see what they say.

Not too many VATCAN folk check/post here, thats why I take it upon myself to try and speak on behalf of us as a whole

• 6 months later...
Jason Vézina 814252
Posted
Posted

I know that I'm late but I f you fly online, you'll see Montreal quite often online MTL_TS_APP , CZUL_CTR etc.. especially on the evening during week days.

Cheers

Jason Vézina

Montreal FIR Ins

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but i know there was a glitch in ServInfo for the Australian FIR's, We have more than YMMM, YBBB. Maybe there was something wrong with Canada?

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Sorry, but i know there was a glitch in ServInfo for the Australian FIR's, We have more than YMMM, YBBB. Maybe there was something wrong with Canada?

No. All major airports and all FIRs display correctly.

Steven Black 813373
Posted
Posted

No doubt there is something wrong with Canada, but it will take a while for me to figure out what that is.

VATCAN 1

• 2 months later...
Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

Hi Canucks, I've been flying more and more regularly and almost always from Toronto to Ottawa, where there is also very little ATC. Quite often, I am controlled by CYUL Centre.

I think the solution is to become an ATCer someday, or maybe both a flyer and ATC. But we will see. For now, I hope to see some of you in the Canadian skies. Maybe I should try Moncton next...

Rob Vanderkam

Canadian Virtual Airlines (CVA) - in operation since 1997

955.png

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Robert,

You'd be more than welcome down east

Edward Mosier 902482
Posted
Posted

Just remember the proper call proceedure when entering Canadian airspace, as an example,..." Toronto Centre, Polar 1287 at flight level 330, hows it goin' eh?..."

Captain Edward Mosier (1287)

"just an earthbound misfit am I..."

www.globecargova.org

Polar and Atlas Freight ops

RFP747-200 & PMDG 747-400

Now with DHL freight division using

Flight-1 ATR, and 727, and LevelD 767

Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

Heh. I just chatted a guy (Arkell, I believe) taking off from Ottawa. He told ATC he was "ready to roll" and I told him, "Okay - takeoff, eh!"

Rob Vanderkam

955.png

Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted
Robert,

You'd be more than welcome down east

Matthew, I thought I saw a rather large airport right in Dartmouth. I was in Dartmouth once or twice but thought the only airport was the big p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger one. Do you know about that, and is it covered by youse guys down there?

Thanks

Rob Vanderkam

955.png

Victor Sussman 911965
Posted
Posted

Hehe, you mean Halifax Intl.? (It's N/NE of Dartmouth).

Anyway, I highly recommend the YHZ experience -- it's a great airport to fly in and out of -- it's not overly large, but it's highly capable of handling a variety of traffic.

Victor Sussman, VAC061

Virtual Air Canada

http://www.vacanada.org

Vancouver Crew Base

'Splendor Sine Occasu'

Victor Sussman, CDN115

Canadi>n Airlines Virtual

Toronto Hub

http://www.flycav.com

'There's a Goose on the loose!'

VATCAN P1

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Vic's correct - CYHZ (Halifax Intl) is actually in Enfield NS, which is NE of Dartmouth. I was in the Tower yesterday, I'll post some pictures on the VATCAN forums today.

Victor Sussman 911965
Posted
Posted

Sounds good! Looking forward to 'em.

Victor Sussman, VAC061

Virtual Air Canada

http://www.vacanada.org

Vancouver Crew Base

'Splendor Sine Occasu'

Victor Sussman, CDN115

Canadi>n Airlines Virtual

Toronto Hub

http://www.flycav.com

'There's a Goose on the loose!'

VATCAN P1

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Does Shearwater get alot of traffic, and is it handled by YHZ approach?

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Does Shearwater get alot of traffic, and is it handled by YHZ approach?

The Tower was open for 3 or 4 hours yesterday, then closed down for the rest of the day. They only see the Seakings now, from what I know. HZ Terminal handles the airspace around it but doesn't deal with arrivals there. I believe AW might have a PAR position manned at times to provide some sort of IFR service into the field.

Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted
Hehe, you mean Halifax Intl.? (It's N/NE of Dartmouth).

I took a look at a map - it's a CFB - Shearwater. (The one in Dartmouth, I mean.)

Rob Vanderkam

955.png