You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Observer and AI Aircraft

Yunus Aktas 1283699

Yunus Aktas 1283699
Posted
Posted

Hello i have been using vPilot since the release and i'm very pleased with it, Thanks for all your Hard work! But i would like to ask if it would be possible in an Update to add in the Feature to Log in as an Observer whic is very Important to do a Shared Cockpit flight on Vatsim, with the Upcoming Aerosoft Airbus SP3 i'm sure it will be a people many people would want. And the Other request i would have is the Posibility to "Hide" AI Moddels and having the Ability to manually Change the AI Model of the other Player/Pilot. The "Hiding" Feature of the AI would be neccesary too for Shared Cockpit to work in Vatsim otherwise the Observing pilot would have the Plane of his friend his flying with in him whic. Once again Thank you so much for your Hard Work Ross.

Have a great Day

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If I were to enable shared cockpit flying, it would probably work similar to FSInn, where it automatically hides the other pilot's model based on callsign. I have no plans to work on such a feature, though. It has been requested once or twice, but it's definitely a small percentage of users that would ever use the feature so it's unlikely I'll be adding it.

Is there any other reason you would want to hide certain models?

As for overriding models, you can already do that with a custom model matching rule file.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Yunus Aktas 1283699
Posted
Posted

on Fsinn it does not have to do That, on Fsinn Someone Logs in as a Normal Pilot and the other Person as an Observer, If Both would log in as a pilot it would cause a problem with the Scope of the ATC, And the Custom Model Matching rule file you can't do that on the Fly. In FsInn you could change the Other Peoples Aircraft Model on the Fly. This would be a very nice addition and i'm sure people would like those Features.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
on Fsinn it does not have to do That, on Fsinn Someone Logs in as a Normal Pilot and the other Person as an Observer, If Both would log in as a pilot it would cause a problem with the Scope of the ATC

Right, but without using the callsign trick, the observer would still see a ghost of his own aircraft. So if the normal pilot connection uses "DAL123" as the callsign, the observer uses "DAL123A" and the observer connection knows not to show "DAL123" in the sim.

And the Custom Model Matching rule file you can't do that on the Fly. In FsInn you could change the Other Peoples Aircraft Model on the Fly. This would be a very nice addition and i'm sure people would like those Features.

Actually, you can do it on the fly, because there is a button on the debug window to reload your model matching rules. vPilot re-evaluates all aircraft to see if the new model matching rules would cause a different model to be used for any aircraft presently in the session, and changes the aircraft model if necessary. I realize that process is not as quick as you might like, but you need to understand that I intentionally did not create a way for people to quickly fix an aircraft that is appearing incorrectly. This is because if an aircraft is displaying incorrectly, then either the other pilot didn't specify the right aircraft type code or callsign prefix when connecting, or you have your model matching rules set up incorrectly. Either way, the problem should be fixed, not circomevented by temporarily overriding the model.

Yunus Aktas 1283699
Posted
Posted

The Callsign Problem could be solved by having a FsInn Style Menu Where you can Change/Edit/Ignore Other Players AI Model. You have Valid points definatly, but having a Menu in Vpilot where you could say "AALxxxx is an A320" in case it's shown Incorrectly would be easier, you could reload the Model Matching Mid-Flight but for People like me who don't know how to create theyr own Rule Set it's very Hard/inconvenient. Thanks for the Small Discussion too, it may not be a Popular Feature, but a good one for sure.

Cheers

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
having a Menu in Vpilot where you could say "AALxxxx is an A320" in case it's shown Incorrectly would be easier

Easier, yes, but not better. The better solution is to fix the actual problem. Like I said, if an aircraft is displaying incorrectly, either the pilot configured his connection wrong (wrong aircraft type code or wrong callsign prefix) or you have your model matching rules set up wrong. The reason it is better to fix the actual problem is because it is a more long-term fix. If you just change one aircraft, you have only fixed that one aircraft for that one flight. If you fix your model matching rules or you help the other pilot fix his client configuration, you have made a much more permanent fix.

• 4 weeks later...
Jakob Lindved Marker
Posted
Posted

I must agree with OP here. With the recent release of Aerosoft's shared cockpit, I believe that the ability to log on as an observer would be greatly appreciated throughout the community.

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted
I must agree with OP here. With the recent release of Aerosoft's shared cockpit, I believe that the ability to log on as an observer would be greatly appreciated throughout the community.

+1 On that, the A320's shared cockpit actually works really well, and i've already seen a couple of pilots using it. I've tried it myself, and we had to use the EuroScope proxy to connect the other pilot. An integrated feature in vPilot would be great.

By the way, why not making some sort of "traffic poxy" for shared cockpit, where the master client is connected to one pc, and the proxy on the other pilot's PC gets the traffic and voice communication from the master?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
By the way, why not making some sort of "traffic poxy" for shared cockpit, where the master client is connected to one pc, and the proxy on the other pilot's PC gets the traffic and voice communication from the master?

Because it's simpler to just have one of the pilots connect to VATSIM in observer mode. No need to set up one client as a proxy with the firewall issues that come into play there.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I decided to implement observer mode. It is currently untested and I need some users to give it a try before I make it part of the stable code branch. If you want to test it out, view this thread for details:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=68275