You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice cuts out

Kaspars Fogels 1179586

Kaspars Fogels 1179586
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've come across this strange issue where my voice gets cut-out, ignored somewhat by either vPilot or VATSIM. Either the ATC will hear the first transmission and miss each one after that or I have to catch a moment, when, by a miracle, the voice is transmitted. This issue is new, I've used vPilot successfully with my FSX for more than 4 months, without issue, this happened suddenly, no major changes were made to affect it. What I can tell:

1. The microphone is USB. I've switched usb ports, checked the microphone itself with recordings etc. It has previously worked with several PCs and FSInn

2. The transmission light does show up. As does the receiving, I can receive voice with no interuptions.

3. I've changed between DirectSound and Wave, I've recalibrated the microphone several times.

4. I've looked up common issues and the FAQ, thus forwarded ports and re-installed vPilot.

5. I've ran the de-bug version, with no errors to show.

I hope we can find the issue!

All the best,

Kaspars

Regards,

Kaspars Fogels

1179586.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

There have been numerous voice cut-out issues over the past year plus, but no one has been able to pin down why. vPilot uses the same voice code as SquawkBox and FSInn, so one would think it would not be related, but there isn't enough data yet to prove or disprove that. Every time this gets brought up, I (and others) keep saying that we need data to help understand why, but nobody comes back with data.

One thing you can do is review your debug logs to see if you were actually connected to the controller's voice channel.

In order to truly, systematically, pursue root cause and corrective action, the data that we really need, across many users that encounter this issue include, minimum:

Tactically:

1. pilot client

2. voice server

3. if there was a break in the pilot's connection

4. if there was a break in the controller's connection (or shift change)

Systemically:

5. what has changed in the last 12-15 months systemically with the voice servers (cannot be provided by the users; must be provided by the VATSIM network gurus)

Only once we have enough statistical data to look at can we identify trends and properly drill down to root cause and develop corrective action.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations