You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot with Two Audio Outputs?

Tom Bergman

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Is this possible? Maybe a feature request?

Since switching to P3D v2.5 I have not been able to use squawkbox and miss being able to split the comms into comm1/comm2 via different audio outputs. On my simconnect PC I have a headset which was mapped to comm1 and then comm2 would be mapped to the computer speakers. This was great as I could take the headset off in cruise, listen to atis/other ATC as I flew.

Is this something which is planned? If it can be done now, how? I don't see anything within the settings or after searching.

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It can't be done now. Not planned either, but who knows, it might get added to the todo list in the future.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

+1 on this request! Same use case as Tom's.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity, why would you need COM1 on the headset and COM2 on the speakers to meet your goal of being able to listen to comms without the headset on? Couldn't you just have the comms routed to a secondary audio device regardless of which COM radio the voice is coming in through? (Perhaps with a button on the main panel that toggles all voice audio between the primary and secondary audio devices.)

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity, why would you need COM1 on the headset and COM2 on the speakers to meet your goal of being able to listen to comms without the headset on? Couldn't you just have the comms routed to a secondary audio device regardless of which COM radio the voice is coming in through? (Perhaps with a button on the main panel that toggles all voice audio between the primary and secondary audio devices.)

Ross,

While 1 output can work, two outputs can provide better mixing.

-Scenario1: On the ground I can have TWR/GRD/APP in my ear, while monitoring CTR on comm2 while on the ground.

-Scenario2: Approaching an airport I can have CTR/APP in my ear with ATIS on comm2.

With Unicom I put 122.8 in comm1 and have comm2 listening to a frequency up ahead or just one I want to listen too since I am in uncontrolled airspace.

I don't know how I could toggle between headset/speakers at the push of a button. Maybe someone else knows.

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
-Scenario1: On the ground I can have TWR/GRD/APP in my ear, while monitoring CTR on comm2 while on the ground.

Not sure why you'd be listening to CTR while also listening to TWR/GND/APP, but okay.

-Scenario2: Approaching an airport I can have CTR/APP in my ear with ATIS on comm2.

That makes a bit more sense, but I've never had a problem listening to the ATIS through my headset while monitoring the controller also on the headset, but okay.

I don't know how I could toggle between headset/speakers at the push of a button. Maybe someone else knows.

You can't ... I was suggesting that as an alternative for a future vPilot feature which would also allow you to listen to comms over the speakers while in cruise without wearing the headset.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

You can't ... I was suggesting that as an alternative for a future vPilot feature which would also allow you to listen to comms over the speakers while in cruise without wearing the headset.

That would be nice...sometimes the headphones get a bit uncomfortable.

One thing that seems like it could be useful would be to have important alert sounds (contactme's, SELCALs, and .WALLs) be broadcast through speakers (and if possible, the headset as well).

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The sounds always go through your default Windows playback device, so you can set that to whatever device you prefer.

• 3 years later...
VALERIO COLLALTI
Posted
Posted

Hello, any news about this feature? I'm using a real audio panel on my cockpit so I'm able to spilt the COMMs channels into comm1/comm2 via different audio outputs and can tune the volume for each separate channel.

Would be fine if in this windows you can add one more setting for second device audio so that will possible to dedicated one device audio out for COMM1 and one for COMM2.

SettingsAudio.png

thanks!!

Valerio

VALERIO COLLALTI
Posted
Posted

Hi,

so no news about split COMMs on two different audio device?

thanks,

V.

• 3 months later...
VALERIO COLLALTI
Posted
Posted
It can't be done now. Not planned either, but who knows, it might get added to the todo list in the future.

Hi,

I'm looking your last vpilot release and I would known if you can add the possibility to split the comms into comm1/comm2 via different audio outputs (like was possible by squawkbox).

Thanks!

V.

• 3 months later...
Tyler Devereaux 816023
Posted
Posted

I know this thread was recently necro'd from almost 4 years ago, but since someone already did that I just wanted to echo some support for this idea. I remember back when the original request was made, there was skepticism on whether there was an appreciable benefit to justify the effort. While I agree that listening to the next controller is a bit unconventional, I very often find myself needing to get an updated ATIS on COMM2 while up on a busy freq on COMM1. I believe mixing has improved, but I also think that part of what makes it difficult to mentally process simultaneous input from both radios is the inability to control volumes independently.

My request, though, would be a slightly different implementation. I also hope for two audio outputs, but my idea was to have an audio output for "headset" and another for "speaker" and then dedicate isolated audio streams to COMM1 and COMM2, with options to bind either radio to either of the audio devices (I'm envisioning something like two audio-device dropdowns, with a series of checkboxes below dictating which outputs each radio sends to).

The benefit of two audio streams would allow for separate volume control (which I would hope could be interfaces with FS, so that advanced audio panels ingame could sync volume knobs with the vPilot audio level for each radio). I think the ability to control each radio's volume independently would make it much easier to mentally process simultaneous output.

The benefit of linking to two output sources would be that, in theory, users of advanced audio panels could make use of headset/speaker switches in FS to control output of vPilot without needing to switch windows and dig into vPilot settings while flying.

Tyler "T" Devereaux

VATUSA-816013-Controller

VALERIO COLLALTI
Posted
Posted

...in my 767 i'm using two real "Audio selector" so separate stream channels (with dedicated audio card) would be more realistic.

Using real Audio selector I would like find a solution to listen the morse code when switch ON the respective VOR's ILS ADF and MKR; I think will be need each USB's audio cards for interface, to split each morse code to dedicated audio out..but I've no idea how to direct that sound to respective USB audio card.

Here is the example of what I meanhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1UG_dTZyM

cheers!