You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problem with double-waypoints in the simulator/sweatbox

Michael Kuhne

Michael Kuhne
Posted
Posted

Often there are waypoints with the same name, like those used for SID/STAR. Example: GG602 exists both in Geneva and in a country far north of Switzerland.

When using this waypoint in a route ES doesn't necessarily use/show the right one, it just selects the first (or last). Which sometimes ends up in strange behaviour of aircraft.

It would therefore be great if ES would recognise these waypoints and automatically choose the right one.

The best solutions in my eyes would be if ES would choose the nearest to the previous waypoint. Or any other algorithm easier to implement.

Until then I just use other waypoints nearby, the difference of the route flown is marginally, as there are many waypoints near an aerodrome.

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Michael,

When ES loads the route of the simulated AC, then it iterates all possible sources of the names (VOR, NDB, FIX, Airport from sectorfile, plus ISECT from airac data). And it looks for the closest to the actual point. If you see differently then send me an example to see why it there is a bug in the code or not.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 7 months later...
Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

Due to a recent report, I want to bring up that topic again.

As Michael explained earlier, we have sometimes waypoints with the same name, especially when using a navigation database. Waypoints, which help to draw SIDs or STARs, often use radials or runways for naming which can cause identical naming. The example I have now available is the ARPUS8K STAR combined with runway 15 in LFSB (which Swiss Radar covers). The STAR includes waypoints, which exist multiple times. The drawing goes then a bit crazy because it takes f.e. for waypoint IF15 not the one near LFSB, but some 250nm away. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the same would happen if this route is used for a simulated aircraft. It looks like ES doesn't expect multiple waypoints with the same name, but only unique names, and takes just one (this first, last, don't know).

If it is really like that, I would request a quite simple change determing the next waypoint when drawing/predicting routes using the distance (shortest) as an argument to choose the "right" one when having more than one waypoint with the same name available. In short, if more than one waypoint exists, the one nearest the one before should be drawn.

I think some kind of this calculation is already included (because routes are not drawn crazy everywhere even if there exists waypoint with the same names), but it might use a different calculation or just is buggy somehow.

Thanks for having a look at, Gergely.

uc?id=0B5u2QF4jFHDUR0tScDJnVDhhem8&export=download

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5u2QF4jFHDUR0tScDJnVDhhem8/view

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

OK. So the problem was that ES searched for the closest point but only among the first of a kind. It did not handle the same type same name elements. I changed it. It will be available in the next release (beta).

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

A big thumb up! Thanks Gergely!

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS