You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot - need testers for shared cockpit (observer) mode

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Given the recent minor surge in interest in adding an observer mode to vPilot to support shared cockpit operations, I decided to implement this feature and provide it for download for any users that are willing to try it out. Note that I have not tested this version beyond just making sure it connects as an observer and properly ignores the other aircraft so that you don't get a ghost aircraft at your location.

If anyone would like to try it out with another pilot in an actual shared cockpit flight, please download and install from this URL:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vPilot-Setup-1.1.5587.30908.exe

Similar to FSInn's shared cockpit feature, the co-pilot will need to connect in observer mode using a callsign that is identical to the pilot's callsign, with a single letter appended. For example:

Pilot: Connect as JBU123 in normal mode.

Co-pilot: Connect as JBU123A in observer mode. (Any letter will work, doesn't have to be A.)

Please report back here and let me know how it goes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Bradley Grafelman

• Mark Foister

• Ricardo Santos 1108947

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 14 posts

• Bradley Grafelman

Bradley Grafelman 8 posts

• Mark Foister

Mark Foister 5 posts

• Ricardo Santos 1108947

Ricardo Santos 1108947 4 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 22 2015

13 posts

• Apr 20 2015

8 posts

• Apr 27 2015

7 posts

• May 28 2015

5 posts

Luke Gorman 1247198
Posted
Posted

Just did a quick test:

I logged in as BAW25, co-pilot logged in as BAW25A as an observer and we didn't see each other.

So far it looks like it's working, good job

Alexandros Zabetas
Posted
Posted

Oh, excellent ! Thank you so much, no need to use FSINN again

Is working OK

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your prompt work on this. I will try it thoroughly over the next few nights.

Rodney.

Jakob Lindved Marker
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Ross, I have not tested this yet, but will do as soon as I am able.

You work quick, thanks!

Panagiotis Konstantinidis
Posted
Posted

Excellent news Ross, thank you very much. Recently this is a much anticipated feature and FSInn is a no-no, since the release of your fantastic vPilot

ACCGR11, HvACC Deputy Director

Airport Briefing | Air Traffic Overview |  Euroscope Guide | Euroscope Sector Files

Will Reynolds
Posted
Posted

Ross, great add on, I just tested it tonight.

Connection is seamless. I was flying as observer and nobody could see me and I could see the same traffic as the person I was sharing the flight with.

Only issue was that I could also see my aircraft as well as the person I was sharing the cockpit with. On the ground they were mostly together but in the air they flew in trail.

If there was a way to remove my visibility of my own aircraft would be great.

Thanks for implementing this by the way.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
If there was a way to remove my visibility of my own aircraft would be great.

According to the post above, it already "properly ignores the other aircraft so that you don't get a ghost aircraft at your location."

What callsign did you use when connecting? What callsign was your pilot/copilot using? (Subsequently, how did you ensure the adage "Trust, but verify" was adhered to, e.g. verifying what callsign your pilot/copilot was actually using, not what (s)he said. )

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Works as advertised - thanks Ross. Really appreciate the efforts to get this feature implemented so quickly.

Florian Rimoli
Posted
Posted

Ross, you deserve a good beer !

Many thanks

Florian Rimoli

French vACC 

vatsim.fr

Will Reynolds
Posted
Posted

Ross, just a follow up to my post.

The ghost aircraft appeared when the observer logged with a number as follow on to the call sign but works perfectly if adding an "A" to the calling instead.

Either way, extremely happy and impressed, many thanks

Will Reynolds

Emirates VACC Director

Mark Foister
Posted
Posted

Hi there,

My Vpilot is totally fine, But when me and friend try to connectto VATSIM , I use FSX and he uses P3D and his sim crashes but mine stays fine. He will literally connect and then after 4 seconds his P3D will crash but mine don't. Maybe it's just a bug ?

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I would imagine that's a problem with the shared cockpit feature of the aircraft you're using, not vPilot. I'd ask in the relevant aircraft developer's forum.

Mark Foister
Posted
Posted
I would imagine that's a problem with the shared cockpit feature of the aircraft you're using, not vPilot. I'd ask in the relevant aircraft developer's forum.

We are using the SP3 Airbus, So i don't see a problem

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement ... can you elaborate?

Mark Foister
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement ... can you elaborate?

We are using the new service pack by aerosoft for the a318 - a321 connected flight deck, Everyone is using it

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Everyone is using it

Is 'everyone' successfully using it in a mixed-simulator environment for cockpit sharing? If yes, then the problem is likely isolated with your friend's setup. If no, then that's not really a valid data point (read: likely overstated generalization).

It's possible that the crash report might even further identify where the error is (or is not). Can you post the crash report generated by Windows?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
We are using the new service pack by aerosoft for the a318 - a321 connected flight deck, Everyone is using it

Okay ... I still don't see what that has to do with my suggestion to contact the developers.

To reiterate, I don't see that this would be a vPilot problem, at least not with the observer mode change. The changes I made to vPilot to enable observer mode could not possibly cause the simulator to crash.

When you say his sim crashes a few seconds after he connects, are you talking about when he connects to VATSIM, or when he connects to you to share the cockpit?

Mark Foister
Posted
Posted
Everyone is using it

Is 'everyone' successfully using it in a mixed-simulator environment for cockpit sharing? If yes, then the problem is likely isolated with your friend's setup. If no, then that's not really a valid data point (read: likely overstated generalization).

It's possible that the crash report might even further identify where the error is (or is not). Can you post the crash report generated by Windows?

It does not crash my end, My FSX stays ok, so i know it's not me, I mean like i said, I use FSX and he uses P3D, so i am wondering if it is something to do with using different simulators maybe ?

His P3D crashes and my FSX stays ok

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you say his sim crashes a few seconds after he connects, are you talking about when he connects to VATSIM, or when he connects to you to share the cockpit?

Mark Foister
Posted
Posted

When he connects to vatsim

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
When he connects to vatsim

Did he try connecting again in the same location but without the shared cockpit? Perhaps it's just a broken model he has enabled that was being drawn for nearby VATSIM traffic?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

As Bradley suggested, it's probably a problem with a corrupt model causing P3D to crash. Lots of the IVAO models can cause that problem with P3D even if they don't for FSX. Probably other model sets can cause the same issue.

Will Reynolds
Posted
Posted
Hi there,

My Vpilot is totally fine, But when me and friend try to connectto VATSIM , I use FSX and he uses P3D and his sim crashes but mine stays fine. He will literally connect and then after 4 seconds his P3D will crash but mine don't. Maybe it's just a bug ?

Thanks

Mark, there are a few people posting about crashes with 1.3C version of the Airbus. You may need to isolate the incident. Try both you and your friend doing circuits without shared cockpit and without connecting to Vatsim. If you have no issues after about 10 minutes, try connecting to VATSIM without shared cockpit.

If that works, then try shared cockpit without VPilot

If that works ok, then try shared cockpit with Vpilot

It really is the only way to properly isolate the issue. The patch 1.3C is comeulative, but a lot of people are skipping parts of the installation, such as rebooting the PC, and it is causing issues.

Hope you can get it sorted soon

Posted
Posted

I did the first test flight today, I was connected as OBS on a networked setup.

Everything worked like a charm, except the jerky movement of the one online traffic we had at the departure airport, while he was taxing to the gate. It looked like the jerky movement we had back on the initial release, when we were running vPilot on a networked, remote computer.

Overall, great work Ross, thank you very much!

ACCGR11, HvACC Deputy Director

Airport Briefing | Air Traffic Overview |  Euroscope Guide | Euroscope Sector Files