You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Port Forwarding

Ezio Cingolani 953405

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross, I have a question regarding the vPilot network set up. I use a networked configuration with vPilot installed on both PCs, but actually running on the Client PC and having only the Proxy running on the Master PC (where FSX is installed). I have a router where both PCs are Ethernet cable connected.

I have everything working fine (I left Router settings at their defaults)…I see other online aircraft, voice communication is OK, the connection is stable (I completed two days ago a 7 hours long haul flight with no problems). In the past, with earliest versions of vPilot, I used to randomly loose connection to the voice servers (i.e. I was connected but all of a sudden I stopped seeing the ATC s listed in the left section of the vPilot interface and lost voice…I had to disconnected, exit vPilot and reconnect to solve the problem….it happened sometimes and apparently the problem has now disappeared since I upgraded to the last vPilot version)

The question is: although Forwarding Port 3290 is highly recommended in the manual, do I have to do it even though everything is running fine and stable ?

What would be the added value ?

Thanks

Regads

Ezio

34.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I used to randomly loose connection to the voice servers (i.e. I was connected but all of a sudden I stopped seeing the ATC s listed in the left section of the vPilot interface and lost voice

This isn't the typical "lost/broken connection to the voice server" issue. The voice servers are completely separate from the VATSIM server you connect to (e.g. the server that distributes pilot/ATC positions and callsigns). If you're seeing ATC disappear from the "in range" list in vPilot, that's an issue with your connection to the VATSIM server itself. The subsequent loss of voice is probably just the expected outcome of not having any controller in range - vPilot voluntarily leaves the voice room it was otherwise connected just fine to.

Alternatively, you could be having general Internet connection issues (e.g. vPilot lost communication with both the VATSIM and voice servers simultaneously).

The question is: although Forwarding Port 3290 is highly recommended in the manual, do I have to do it even though everything is running fine and stable ?

Manually forwarding UDP port 3290 is one way to solve the common scenario wherein voice communications are lost if no transmissions are made after a few minutes (exact time varies, likely coinciding with "UPnP Timeout" settings). In more extreme cases, it's possible that it resolves issues where voice communications are never received at all without the forwarded port.

If no such issues affect you (the one you reported above doesn't seem applicable), then it's possible that you can skip the recommendation without any ill effects. Basically, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies.

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Bradley, thanks for your answers....

Have a nice day..!

Ciao

34.png