You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Any Idea when we can train to be ATC again?

Calum Stevens

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted

"PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, ALL NEW CONTROLLER APPLICATIONS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"

Anyone any idea when this will change? Be that way for some time now. Im really keen to start being a controller for some of the lesser covered airports in the UK.

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted

In the VATSIM-UK RTS Mentoring, Booking and Exam System

I have p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed my Theory exam and I think the next step would be to join the New Controller RTS. It says if its too busy this won't be available (which it isn't). Jusrt wondering, do I just have to keep checking back there or will I get an email saying it is free now or what happens?

vatsim.png

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Hi Calum,

Firstly, I do not speak for VATSIM-UK I can however tell you that there is chronic overcrowding in the OBS>S2 band of training at the division. You might get a more definite answer by posting in the Community Forums at VATSIM-UK, where this announcement was made a few weeks ago:

http://community.vatsim-uk.co.uk/topic/31498-reduction-of-obs-and-s1-intake/

According to that press release, "[t]hese restrictions will be eased when the ATC Training Department consider appropriate."

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link. Yes I was aware that there is a problem with over crowding at the lowest tier of training. Which seems odd because its not as if there is "too many controllers" Often airports around the UK are unstaffed.

If it is an issue with not enough available mentors can they not implement a system that an experienced controller has to mentor say 1 person a month? Like a civic duty to clear the backlog?

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

You're most welcome Unfortunately, this is an issue that has been debated to death and continues to be debated, not only in the UK, but across Europe and I suspect most of the world as well. It is not as simple an issue as telling experienced controllers to mentor... it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted
You're most welcome Unfortunately, this is an issue that has been debated to death and continues to be debated, not only in the UK, but across Europe and I suspect most of the world as well. It is not as simple an issue as telling experienced controllers to mentor... it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Well very true. However equally you could say that sitting exams isn't everyone's cup of tea. Alas its a requirement...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not everyone makes a good teacher. its one thing to learn and do it, its a complete different thing to try and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] that knowledge on to someone else. not everyone is cut out for that part.

im of the opinion there should actually be more specialized training on "teaching/instructing" before letting someone loose to teach others, that way they have a foundation to work off of and can better utilize their time with students.

if they are this overloaded though, should be a good sign something isnt working and things need changing, and some may not like the changes that may be required to keep up with demand.

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted

Yes indeed, good points.

Im just so keen to be ATC

• 3 months later...
Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

In the meantime, study! If you have a good theoretical foundation, your practical training will be far easier and possibly a great deal shorter. Get to know all the ins and outs of your scope as well, this will help a lot and save you time and struggle both during training and after examination.