You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR Charlie Airspace...how to

Brian Sommers

Brian Sommers
Posted
Posted

When flying VFR and you want to transistion charlie airspace I know you don't ask for transition clearence like you do for B, D, etc. I know you just have to establish two way communications.

In the real world and in on VATSIM how does this work?

If I'm flying along and want to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] through charlie a/s how do I ask if I don't ask for a transition?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

establish two way radio comms. doesnt have to be anything fancy, just as long as you have that requirement filled, you are good. the minute you call and the controller acknowledges that call by using your callsign, two way radio comms have been established. same for cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D, two way comms. you throw in the transition requests for information, its not a requirement

now, granted for everyone's benefit youll want to throw in who you are, where you are and what you want to do. its always good to throw in a cold call if you arent already talking to them.

"Miami Approach N80457"

APP: N80457, Miami Approach, go ahead (they may respond with "last aircraft go ahead" to avoid unintentionally completing that 2 way comm requirement without knowing where you are)

"Miami Approach N80457 20nm SW FLL @ 2000, Northeast bound request transition cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] charlie" (most, if not all, cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C areas want you to call within 20nm, even if the ring is only 10nm. this will be noted in the magenta boxes on the sectional charts)

APP: N80457, Squawk 4326

readback the squawk

APP: N80457 radar contact 18nm SW FLL 2000

then go from there, you can throw in any pre planned turns, IE you plan to turn southbound over the shore etc.. keep them informed and theyll be happy happy.

the other way is to simply have flight following, you dont need to request anything for cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C as you are already with them. all the lettered airspace borders are open with flight following, except Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B and of course A

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
When flying VFR and you want to transistion charlie airspace I know you don't ask for transition clearence like you do for B, D, etc. I know you just have to establish two way communications.

Ernesto mentioned this briefly in his reply, but to add a little, cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C and D are the same in this respect. Only cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B requires an explicit entry clearance. (So does cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A of course, but that's only IFR.)

And to answer your question about real world versus VATSIM, they're both the same in this regard.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Brian Sommers
Posted
Posted

Very good. Thanks

I forgot about flight following... I always do. A very good option indeed.

I want to do some sightseeing tours around the SFO bay area/Golden Gate Bridge, etc out and back from KSQL.

Removed
Posted
Posted

Hello Brian,

please be advised that the airspace surrounding the San Francisco airport is cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B. Transitioning/entering cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace under VFR requires a specific clearance, to include

"Cleared to enter / out of / through Bravo airspace."

Restrictions on route and / or altitude may be imposed by the controller as necessary.

Oakland and San Jose airports in the vicinity of San Francisco airport are surrounded by cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C airspace and can be transitioned after establishing two way radio communications as mentioned above.

Brian Sommers
Posted
Posted

Yes. I plan on taking off from KSQL heading east/northeast and through the Oakland charlie at 1000'MSL then over the Golden Gate and around the park and then make a loop I can go under the bravo shelf and back through the Oakland charlie and into KSQL.

Wybe van Kampen
Posted
Posted

Very curious that everyone says that cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C doesn't require a crossing clearance. It's simply not true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]

If the US do things differently, a disclaimer that says 'US only' would be very helpful, since this is an international forum after all.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

it helps to read the entire topic, especially the post made by the OP right above yours and no, in the US it does not

Kenneth Bambach 1008842
Posted
Posted

Plus, this is the United States thread

Ken Bambach

ZMA ATM

VATSIM Supervisor

4.png

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
Plus, this is the United States thread