You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Dummy planes in sceneries

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

It happened again today. I land, and ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igns me a gate. I taxi there only to find that there's a dummy plane in the scenery right at that gate. Is there any simple way to make them go away? I see that in some sceneries, such as Aerosoft's EHAM payware you have the option of disabling them. Then there's the other end of the spectrum, where the maker of the scenery has decided to put a plane at almost all gates. And then there's the ones where there's a sensible number of dummies on the ground, but you just have bad luck with the gate [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment - multiple times in a row.

What have you guys done to solve this? I googled a bit and found an old thread that suggest using something called Overlay Editor to manually remove the planes. I wonder if that's still valid advice.

I suppose another option would be to disregard the static planes and just taxi right through them. But that's no fun, is it?

It seems things might improve relatively soon, but even after that update it would still take some time for the sceneries to get updated...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

"static aircraft"

depends on the scenery addon. some will have an addon manager where it will easily let you turn the static aircraft on and off.

other addons may require you to manually move a .bgl file out of the scenery folder to disable static aircraft, and other scenery you may not be able to (this is for FS users, im not sure what the file extensions are in xplane. shouldnt be too different considering people can convert fsx scenery to xplane)

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

other addons may require you to manually move a .bgl file out of the scenery folder to disable static aircraft, and other scenery you may not be able to (this is for FS users, im not sure what the file extensions are in xplane. shouldnt be too different considering people can convert fsx scenery to xplane)

I wish it was this simple. It turns out the file structure of xplane is completely different, and such a simple trick as moving, renaming or deleting a file isn't good enough.

I tried Overlay Editor. It gets the job done, but it's quite a bit of work for airports where there are a lot of scenery planes. Basically, you just click to select an object, and then press backspace to delete that object. But you never get it right on your first click, so you click around a lot. And it's not enough to remove the planes if the stand is littered with additional objects like stairs, cargo loaders, pushback trucks etc. Sigh...

But at least it gets the job done. Although I wonder how hard it would be to automate the process. After all, the object models appear to be named according to a formula such as objects/aircraft/a320.