You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can't see traffic

Robert Bressert

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

I've been using Vpilot in FSX-SE for quite a while and it has been great! Love it!

However in my last flight which landed in KMIA I could not see any traffic. I could hear the sound of the aircraft around me. There was a lot of traffic as Vattastic showed! I ran .debug and it listed many aircraft. I checked to make sure port 3290 was open and it was. I only ran into this once before and reran VMRgenerator and installed the new rules matching .vmr file and traffic became visible again. This time I have rerun VMRgenerator several times with no success.

I could hear them speaking to ATC, but again, could not see them.

A couple of nights ago I landed in KLAS with a lot of traffic with no problems. I saw them all. I can't think of anything that I have changed that would have caused this.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

were you able to see their shadows?

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Hmmm! I don't recall seeing shadows, but I wasn't looking for that, but I could see the identifying information, model type (i.e., IVAO-MTL, how far away they were, etc.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

In FSX, try disabling ground shadows, and if that doesn't work, ensure DX10 mode is off. Let us know if either of those help (they generally do).

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

OK, turning off ground shadows corrected it, and I can now see the other aircraft. Thanks.

Let me ask, though, is there any way to correct this so I can have ground shadows on?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm not aware of one, though I haven't investigated it thoroughly. Maybe someone else has more knowledge on the subject and can share.

Don Desfosse

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Well, at least I can see the other aircraft now, thanks again.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

from what i remember its due to a direct X issue. there is something called "steves DX10 Fixer" which fixes some directx issues, ive no idea if itll also fix this though. only thing i can think of that you can try for that. can find more about it on the avsim forums.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It is indeed a DX issue and something that was identified just before shipping FSX. Sadly it was never rectified.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

And so, my love/hate relationship with FSX continues!

Markus Kylliainen 1313786
Posted
Posted

I have the exact same problem, neither disabling ground shadows or DirectX 10 helped...

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

What have you tried from the blocked connection section of the Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting guide?

Don Desfosse

Posted
Posted
What have you tried from the blocked connection section of the Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting guide?

I have not tried anything yet, guess it doesn't matter anymore when Ross Carlson decided to remove IVAO Model Matching from vPilot. (I reinstalled vPilot to see if it would work)

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the IVAO MTL is not a requirement

Posted
Posted
the IVAO MTL is not a requirement

No it isnt, but i don't enjoy seeing a bunch of white A321's.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

so get one of the other model sets. really isnt difficult

Posted
Posted
so get one of the other model sets. really isnt difficult

Which of them should i use?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i use world of AI, in total probably have between 6 - 8000 liveries and models to choose from only ones that give me issues are G/A traffic as i dont have a rule set that covers G/A traffic that much. (yet, plan to make one eventually)

Posted
Posted
i use world of AI, in total probably have between 6 - 8000 liveries and models to choose from only ones that give me issues are G/A traffic as i dont have a rule set that covers G/A traffic that much. (yet, plan to make one eventually)

I just checked their site out, do you know that is there anyway you can download and install them all at once?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

download all at once, sadly no. the total size would be several gigabytes

i do wish they at least did it by region. but for me, i started with the most common ones that fly where i normally fly, then added the rest as i went into other areas. so for example i started with many of the usual north american carriers since i mostly fly in the US, then when i ventured to europe, i started adding many of those, etc. etc..

installing, there you can install multiple at once. simply select multiple packages with the WOAI installer

Posted
Posted
download all at once, sadly no. the total size would be several gigabytes

i do wish they at least did it by region. but for me, i started with the most common ones that fly where i normally fly, then added the rest as i went into other areas. so for example i started with many of the usual north american carriers since i mostly fly in the US, then when i ventured to europe, i started adding many of those, etc. etc..

installing, there you can install multiple at once. simply select multiple packages with the WOAI installer

I installed pretty many packages, then installed them into vPilot, but i still saw them all AI Traffic as white A321's...

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

When you installed new packages, did you remember to update your fsx.cfg file to let it know you installed new AI? When you say you "installed them into vPilot", are you really saying that you downloaded and configured a new model matching rule set (or even better, ran VMRGenerator)?

Don Desfosse

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

make sure you only activate the ones you have. vpilot has the rule sets ordered by region, if you open the list it will list each individual carrier, only select the ones you actually have. otherwise its going to get them all

Posted
Posted
When you installed new packages, did you remember to update your fsx.cfg file to let it know you installed new AI? When you say you "installed them into vPilot", are you really saying that you downloaded and configured a new model matching rule set (or even better, ran VMRGenerator)?

No, i did not put anything into the fsx.cfg, but what should i put there?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Read The Model Matching Tab section in the Docomeentation.

Don Desfosse