You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

unicom question

Steve Vaughn 1322087

Steve Vaughn 1322087
Posted
Posted

Hello, im new to Vatsim and still learning, my question is about Unicom 122.8 when I see other pilots post a text in the Unicom frequency it will type "their call sign on Unicom 122.8" and then their message. When I type a message on Unicom it doesn't type my callsign on Unicom 122.8 then my message, it just types my message, so im wondering if im using the Unicom the right way if im even texting on the Unicom frequency or am I doing it wrong? Thanks for any help.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It will only show " on : " if you have both of your COM radios set to receive. That's so that you know which of your two frequencies the message was received on.

When you transmit, you are only transmitting on one frequency, so there is no need to show the frequency for your outgoing text transmissions.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You're using it correctly. Ostensibly, you know your own callsign ( ) so there's no need for you to see it yourself. That said, others do indeed see it as part of the text string that gets transmitted with your message.

EDIT: LOL, Ross types faster than I do....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Steve Vaughn 1322087
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks for the replies, just wanted to make for sure I was using it correctly. That brings me to another question, would I be correct to say that I can tune frequency on com1 and listen to a nearby atc and have com2 tuned to Unicom frequency to minitor Unicom in the area that I am flying (with no atc online) and send a text on Unicom frequency? I guess what im asking is will it send the message on Unicom and not the com1 frequency that its tuned to?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can listen to two frequencies at the same time, but you can only configure your radio stack to transmit on one frequency at a time. So your message will go out on whichever frequency is enabled for transmit.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

That is perfectly fine Steve...actually better than just being on UNICOM.

If you're VFR near a major airport for example but don't need to be in contact with ATC (since you may be outside of their airspace), monitoring the above frequency could provide some important information such as where traffic is in relation to you.

I personally would just tune the com1 to 122.8 and set the com2 to the frequency being monitored.

Simple answer, what you are doing works perfectly (as long as you are actually transmitting on UNICOM and not on the active frequency)

Steve Vaughn 1322087
Posted
Posted

Thanks again for the reply, that was my main concern that I was transmitting on the atc freq and not the Unicom freq. Thanks for the help.

Chris Honke
Posted
Posted

As an example for Unicom usage, if I am landing at an uncontrolled major airport, I would xmit my intent at the outer marker for which runway I am coming in on?

Heavy Metal Driver.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

doesnt have to be at the outer marker, thats only about 4 - 6nm out, im usually making my last call before landing at that point.

generally start making your calls 10 - 15nm out. gives you plenty of time to make your traffic calls and coordinate with other traffic coming in.

on VATSIM if im flying the jets, i often start checking for traffic at about 30nm with a simple (ABC Traffic, any traffic ABC). if no replies, i may double check using vattastic or one of the online maps to be sure. if there isnt traffic, ill announce on final and thats about the last call i make at that point since nobody is around. if there is traffic, ill make the last call at about 5 miles out