You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A Tool for Converting lat/lon coordinates

Gerry Hattendorf 935415

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've read some posts about converting lat/lon coordinates from degree, minute, second to decimal format, as well as setting up coordinates from a radial/distance from a fix, and being the lazy person that I am, created a little stand-alone utility that reads your sector file, and converts a VOR, AIRPORT, INTERSECTION, or RUNWAY that you select to degree decimal format and DDD:MM:SS, and if you wish, you can then set a radial/distance offest to the fix, which can be copied to the clipboard to aid in creating senerio files, or adding new waypoints into your sector file.

Feel free to try it, it's written for any Win32 OS, and is a standalone utility.

http://ghresume.us/downloads/coorddecoder.zip

I hope you like it, please let me know what you think

Thanks

Gerry Hattendorf

Edited by Guest

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

William Raymond
Posted
Posted

Let me be the first to say terrific and many thanks

And as usual we are greedy.....is there a way you could also allow for the manual input of the coordinates and then have your program convert it? Reason I ask is specifically when placing the aircraft on the ground on a runway...or maybe you could read in the runway numbers from the sector file? As I said greedy

Thanks a bunch for this

Bill

VATSIM Supervisor (ret'd)

Richard Snaer 810117
Posted
Posted

Very Neat and useful Tool. Thanks. Found it especially useful in outlying airport scenerios for preparing situation files.

Dick Snaer

vZDV TA

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
Let me be the first to say terrific and many thanks

And as usual we are greedy.....is there a way you could also allow for the manual input of the coordinates and then have your program convert it? Reason I ask is specifically when placing the aircraft on the ground on a runway...or maybe you could read in the runway numbers from the sector file? As I said greedy

Thanks a bunch for this

Bill,

Thank you for the kind words Are you looking to just convert DD:MM:SS format to decimal degrees, or are you trying to do a reverse lookup for the closest fix? If I understand you, your trying to setup aircraft in position on the runway end?

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
..or maybe you could read in the runway numbers from the sector file? As I said greedy

Okay, you ask, and you shall recieve! (dont ask for money though )

Verision 1.2 is available for download at the original link, the enhancements I've made are:

• Automatically loads the default sector Magnetic Variation
    Displays the version name of the sector file
    Runway threshold coordinanates added when an airport fix is selected
    Runway selection is displayed on a drop-down list (combo-box)
    Added smart logic for the and keys to eliminate "mousing-around"

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

William Raymond
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update Gerry. Yes I was trying to get the runway information. I see where you have added that feature, but so far on all the sector files I have tested the runway shows "none" after I enter the airport fix. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Great work

Bill

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the update Gerry. Yes I was trying to get the runway information. I see where you have added that feature, but so far on all the sector files I have tested the runway shows "none" after I enter the airport fix. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Great work

What sector file are you using?

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

William Raymond
Posted
Posted

Great work

What sector file are you using?

I tried a Miami Ground and other Miami files..also some in Jamaica MKJS/MKJP...

Bill

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

You might want to try the Center sector files, because all sector files are built a bit differently. (to say it nicely)

If you not able to see anything in the Runway combo box, use the "Open Sector File for Editing" from the File menu, and then search for "[RUNWAY]", and then look for your airport. It seems that if it's not defined in your sector file, then it will not load any runway coordinates.

If your still having problems, let me know the file name of the sector file your using, so that I can examine it!

Cheers!

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

William Raymond
Posted
Posted
You might want to try the Center sector files, because all sector files are built a bit differently. (to say it nicely)

If you not able to see anything in the Runway combo box, use the "Open Sector File for Editing" from the File menu, and then search for "[RUNWAY]", and then look for your airport. It seems that if it's not defined in your sector file, then it will not load any runway coordinates.

If your still having problems, let me know the file name of the sector file your using, so that I can examine it!

Cheers!

Gerry

I tried a center file and it worked ok. I also examined the other files to see what the difference was in the RUNWAY section and the format seems to be the same and it would not load. Not an expert on sector files but something else is probably wrong. But as you diplomatically said not all files are created the same Since the center files have more fixes etc I will work with it so no need to pursue any further unless you want me to send you the ground file for research..

Thanks again for the program really appreciate it

EDIT: Went back and checked and got it to work...seems the program prefers KMIA instead of MIA for airport and runway or more accurately a four place code instead of three All is well thanks again for the work

Bill

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

For anybody that's interested, I've released v1.22, which adds the lat/lon coordinate display in easy to read DD:MM:SS format, and fixed some math caluclations as C++ math libraries don't play well all the time!

http://ghresume.us/downloads/coorddecoder.zip

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

William Raymond
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gerry. Love the bold font ..good for us old folks

Bill

Alberto Molteni 915217
Posted
Posted
fixed some math caluclations as C++ math libraries don't play well all the time!

Gerry

You can say that again! What algorithm are you using for radial/distance from fix calculations? I'm trying to code a function for Vincenty's direct method but I am getting an underflow error.

Alberto Molteni

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
fixed some math caluclations as C++ math libraries don't play well all the time!

Gerry

You can say that again! What algorithm are you using for radial/distance from fix calculations? I'm trying to code a function for Vincenty's direct method but I am getting an underflow error.

Drop me an email and I can send you the code if you wish!

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

• 2 months later...
Jeff Clark
Posted
Posted

Cheers!

Gerry

Gerry - as part of the "hit squad" project, I'm trying to do a little tweaking of the India sector file, and also cannot see runway info. We -have- a [Runway] section, and the relevant lines for mumbai, which is what I'm trying to work with, read as follows:

09 27 090 270 N019.05.15.651 E072.50.54.433 N019.05.17.628 E072.52.54.264 ;VABB Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl

14 32 135 315 N019.05.53.414 E072.51.29.349 N019.04.47.543 E072.52.41.530 ;VABB Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl

Any ideas why it's not showing me "rwy" info? (if you need to load the sector file yourself it's at http://india.vatsim.info/web/downloads/india_0606.zip

Jeff Clark

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Hey Jeff,

The reason why it wasn't loading the runways as most of the sector files would define the airport [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with the runway at the end of the string prefaced by ;- (so much for a standard format!!)

Anyway, I recoded the program to read them both ways, so if you would like to download it again, (same link) you should be good to go!

Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

• 7 years later...
Bradley Clements 1275828
Posted
Posted

Hello! I am new to all of this and extremely excited to be in the process of being trained! I am extremely tech savvy (troubleshooting/settings issues/resolving any issue windows or mac/adequate knowledge of java and javascript) and I have a macbook pro. All of the programs I have seen so far are windows programs with no mac option which surprises me because mac programs generally tend to be easier to build. I have yet to set up bootcamp and I was wondering if this tool and/or any of the other programs used have mac versions or if there is a better utility than bootcamp to run them. Thanks for your help!

• 1 year later...
Mark-Julius Pikat
Posted
Posted

(Does anyone still own the tool? I need to speed up the process for creating TWRTrainer Airport file.)

DISREGARD! I have the file If someone needs it you can PM me.

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat
Chief Executive Officer of VACC Estonia mark-julius.pikat [at] estvacc.org
Head of VATEUD Examining Program mark-julius.pikat [at] vateud.net

• 4 months later...
Karl Sawatzky
Posted
Posted

Is this program still available? The links both seem not to work.

It would be of great help. Thanks.

Karl Sawatzky

Winnipeg Flight Information Region (CZWG FIR)

Senior Instructor (I3)

https://www.czwg.vatcan.ca/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/winnipegfir

Twitter: @CZWGFIR