You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with Configuring Simconnect

Paul Matthews 1326126

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted

My aim is to run Vpilot from my laptop and FSX from my desktop as I run FSX in full screen mode. I have the machines networked successfully.

I followed Vpilots instructions on installing Vpilot and Simconnect on both machines and running traffic proxy on the server. I achieved this and traffic proxy is connecting fine. Now I'm having trouble getting Vpilot on the client laptop to connect to my Desktop runs FSX.

I realise I need to configure Simconnect and have tried to follow instructions from the third post in this thread. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thread ... nect.5187/ but it is still not connecting. I set up XML and CFG file but do I need to do something else. The first post in the thread suggests I do, but I don't understand.

Is there a step by step instruction to configure Simconnect from scratch or can someone help me?

Ive also disabled firewall on both machines.

Please help!!

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted

I also want to say, after reading other threads. I had to create a .xml file in Appdata/roaming/fsx. There wasn't one already there to edit like it seems other people have. So where is my original simconnect.cfg. Ive searched hard drive and the on I created is the only one.

The same with the .cfg file in My docomeents on client machine.

I created a new txt file and then changed the extensions to cfg and xml. Is this correct?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I have the machines networked successfully.

In what way did you verify this?

I created a new txt file and then changed the extensions to cfg and xml. Is this correct?

That depends. When you create a new text file (I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you right-click, point to New, and select "Text Docomeent"?), does the default filename for the newly created file include ".txt" at the end, or does the complete filename appear to be just "New Text Docomeent" ? If it's the latter, adding ".cfg" at the end doesn't change the extension - which Windows is actually hiding from you - it just adds it to the name (e.g. you end up with "simconnect.cfg.txt", which does not have a file extension of "cfg" as expected/required).

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted
I have the machines networked successfully.

In what way did you verify this?

That depends. When you create a new text file (I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you right-click, point to New, and select "Text Docomeent"?), does the default filename for the newly created file include ".txt" at the end, or does the complete filename appear to be just "New Text Docomeent" ? If it's the latter, adding ".cfg" at the end doesn't change the extension - which Windows is actually hiding from you - it just adds it to the name (e.g. you end up with "simconnect.cfg.txt", which does not have a file extension of "cfg" as expected/required).

They are definitely networked because im able to share files and see desktop files on the laptop.

Also your second point, I have enabled the see hidden files and extensions so I know the true name of the files.

One thing though, and you may confirm. I found a great piece since posting and realised I had never installed SDK for fsx from the deluxe disk. I have since done this and installed the SP1A update. This might be my problem. This is the piece I'm referring to http://forums.bostonvirtualatc.com/viewtopic.php?t=4950

Im currently working through the instructions but will have to leave it til tomorrow as its late here in UK.

Any comments Bradley would be appreciated

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted

Well I'm at my wits end with this now. Unless anyone who has achieved running Vpilot on a remote machine using simconnect can point me in right direction I might have to give up on Vatsim altogether which is disappointing.

I followed the config instructions. At first traffic proxy was connecting on the server machine bfut no connection for vpilot on remote machine.

Now after trying a to get it working, vpilot or traffic proxy is not connecting on the machine that has FSX on it.

One last cry for help, maybe from Ross himself.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

just to cover the bases as you've pointed to other pages, but unless i missed it never mentioned the vpilot docomeentation. you've already ensure you've checked off all those items? ive not installed vpilot on a networked setup yet, tried on my ubuntu laptop but was unable to get it all to work (or any of the vatsim clients on ubuntu).

if those steps fail though, theirs always FSINN, that one can run networked as well, and its pretty much "install on both machines", about the only step needed other then making sure both PC's are on the same network.

Running vPilot Over a Network

vPilot can be run on a remote machine in your network, separate from the machine running the flight simulator, provided you have the correct version of SimConnect installed on the vPilot computer, and you have configured the SimConnect.cfg file correctly.

vPilot requires SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0, which is the version that is included with the SP2 or Acceleration SDK. The installer can be found in the following folder:

\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\SimConnect.msi

You can also download the SimConnect client installer here.

For instructions on configuring SimConnect in a network setting, please consult one of the many guides found online.

In order to get smooth movement of aircraft when running vPilot on a remote machine, you will need to run the vPilot TrafficProxy program on the machine that is running FSX. You'll see a shortcut to run the TrafficProxy in the vPilot folder in the programs list on the start menu. The TrafficProxy can be run on the FSX machine either before or after vPilot is started on the remote machine.

Note that you must install vPilot on both the remote machine and the FSX machine. On the remote machine, you will run the main vPilot program. On the FSX machine, you will run the TrafficProxy program. The two systems must have the same version of vPilot installed.

The TrafficProxy also allows you to configure a keyboard key or joystick/yoke button on the FSX machine to be used as your Push-To-Talk (PTT) button. The TrafficProxy will watch for the button/key press and send it to vPilot via SimConnect. To configure a PTT button this way, press CTRL-S while the TrafficProxy window is active. You will see a Settings screen with options to configure a PTT button. The configuration works exactly the same as within vPilot itself.

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted

I have checked on both computers I have the correct version of simconnect installed. I have also followed the steps below.

After 'restoring to an earlier point' I now have vpilot connecting on the server but still no connection on the client.

Thanks for reply Ernesto, maybe FSinn might have to be the way. So frustrating after all the instructions for the config have been followed.

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Hello Paul

Let's see if we can sort out this problem for you.

Did you set-up your network using a Workgroup?or using the built-in Windows

Does each PC have a static IP address?

Simconnect should not be reinstalled in the SIM PC only the version that comes with FSX SP2 should be installed in the client.

You must install vPilot on the FSX PC (but don't run it) and on the client PC.

If all the above has been done then do this:

Run Traffic Proxy on FSX PC, you will see that it will try to connect to the sim... all good so far.

Run FSX and Traffic Proxy will then confirm that it is connected to sim.

Set up your flight and place yourself at the airport of choice.

Start Vpilot on the client ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have configured it correctly) and the connect button should be active. Connect.

If the above didn't work, please let me know how you set-up your network and post contents of your simconnect.cfg and simconnect.xml. Sometime there may be also an issue with the port number you have chosen for simconnect configuration, please let me know. Let's try and isolate what may be the problem.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted
Hello Paul

Let's see if we can sort out this problem for you.

Did you set-up your network using a Workgroup?or using the built-in Windows

Does each PC have a static IP address?

Simconnect should not be reinstalled in the SIM PC only the version that comes with FSX SP2 should be installed in the client.

You must install vPilot on the FSX PC (but don't run it) and on the client PC.

If all the above has been done then do this:

Run Traffic Proxy on FSX PC, you will see that it will try to connect to the sim... all good so far.

Run FSX and Traffic Proxy will then confirm that it is connected to sim.

Set up your flight and place yourself at the airport of choice.

Start Vpilot on the client ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have configured it correctly) and the connect button should be active. Connect.

If the above didn't work, please let me know how you set-up your network and post contents of your simconnect.cfg and simconnect.xml. Sometime there may be also an issue with the port number you have chosen for simconnect configuration, please let me know. Let's try and isolate what may be the problem.

Thank you Joaquin, I will answer your questions.

1. I set up the network using a 'homegroup' not a 'workgroup' (Is this my first problem?)

2. Im not sure if the IP addresses are static or dynamic, they haven't changed over last 3 weeks. The Client address is different from the server address. I used the server address in both 'SimConnect.xml' (On the server) and 'SimConnect.cfg' (on the client)

3. I'm not sure if I installed SimConnect on the server at the start of this process or if it was already there (looking at the date of install, it says 23/6/2015 on the server which obv means I have installed it). I definitely installed it on the client as that machine doesn't have FSX installed. If I look in 'Programs and Features', on both computers it says 'Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0 ' is installed. The version of FSX I installed original was ;deluxe' then installed 'acceleration' after that.

If this is wrong, how do I correct what I've done?

4. I have Vpilot installed on both machines. Ok, I will not run Vpilot on the server.

I started my simulator at EGLL, traffic proxy connected fine. I started Vpilot on client machine and it gave me the usual 'attempting simulator connection, simulator connection failed'. The connect button did not become active and is greyed out'.

This is my SimConnect.xml which is on my server PC. The path is C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

(I also have the Simconnect.cfg in this file now which I think is wrong, should I delete it? The connection did not work when the .cfg file was not there. Think I just added it out of desperation yesterday).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="WINDOWS-1252"?>

-

SimConnect

SimConnect.xml

False

-

False

IPv4

global

False

-

False

Auto

local

I originally didn't add the local lines at the bottom til later as I'd seen on forums this had worked for some people.

On the client machine I created a SimConnect.cfg . The path is C:\Users\Paul\Docomeents.

[simConnect]

Protocol=Ipv4

Address=192.168.0.4

Port=500

MaxRecieveSize=4096

DisableNag=0

Later when I realised it was not connecting I added it to C:\Users\Paul\Docomeents\vPilot Files (should I delete this?)

So all in all I have the cfg file present in two files in the client and in 1 file on the server. I realise this is probably wrong but it definitely did not work with just the one cfg file in 'docomeents' so I added the other two later. Hope that makes sense.

I have SimConnect.ini on the server. The path is C:\Users\Paul\Docomeents\Flight Simulator X Files

[simConnect]

level=verbose

console=0

;RedirectStdOutToConsole=1

;OutputDebugString=1

;file=c:\simconnect%03u.log

;file_next_index=0

;file_max_index=9

Ok I appreciate you trying to help immensely, I will not give up on this even though I hit a dead end, you've renewed my hope. I look forward to your reply

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Is port 500 open on the server through the firewall?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted
Is port 500 open on the server through the firewall?

Cheers!

Luke

I have the firewall turned off on both machines. I presume this will be enough. Am I right luke?

Thanks

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

This is something I wrote sometime ago for a fellow simmer:

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming both your computers running on Win7 OS. You need to do some prep work to get it all working.

Have identical account names and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words on both computers, with full admin rights.

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System\Change settings\Computer Name\Change - Give a unique name to

each PC but ensuring your Workgroup name is the same on both, example FSNET - Do this on both Computers. You will need to reboot.

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\Local Area Connection(whichever is active), then right click and select Properties, highlight with mouse Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4 and then select Properties tab in the window.

Bullet in Use the following IP address:

IP address: can be any in the range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: this is your router address, often 192.168.0.1 - login to your router and check it out.

Bullet in Use the following DNS server addresses:

Enter the IP addresses of the Preferred and Alternate DNS servers. You'll need to ask your ISP or check

for the info at their website, most of them make this info available in the support pages.

Do the above in both Computers.

As an example, my computers have the following unique IP addresses - 192.168.0.10 & 192.168.0.20

Same subnet mask as above and same gateway IP address (your router's IP address).

Now you need to share some folders and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign appropriate permissions.

Open Windows Explorer

Right click on your C:\ drive and select Properties then Sharing tab then click on Advanced Sharing.

Place tick in Share this folder - click on Permissions, click on Add then in the window that opens

type the common username you have for both computers, then close and you will see this username

appearing in the Group or user names, and below under Permissions for (your username) make sure

you tick all the boxes. Carry out this process for all disk drives you wish to share in your computers, as well

as for any folders you need to share. Reboot.

You have now created a simple network, have [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a unique IP address for each PC and

created shares in various drives and folders. Now the last step is for you to be able to access

those shared drives and folders.

Go to Windows explorer\Tools\Map Network Drive, in the new window select browse and the unique names of

your PCs should appear under Network clicking on any of the PC names will show you the contents of all the drives

you have shared and you can select one and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a Network letter to it. Thereafter every time both PCs are on,

you will have access to your disks.

Now you can install on your client PC any software such as Weather Programs, etc. Be aware that some older

programs such as TOPCAT still require WideFS to connect to FSX remotely.

===================================================================================================

As regards your simconnec.xml - Once you have set-up the static IP addresses for your PCs, it could look like this:

False

IPv4

global

(Server IP address))

any port above 5000 I had great difficulty getting things to work properly using Port 500, then a software developer friend of mine told me that anything above port 5000 will generally not cause any trouble. At least it worked for me.

[simConnect]

Protocol=Ipv4

Address=Server IP address

Port=(Port number you chose in xml)

MaxRecieveSize=4096

DisableNagle=0

As regards how to start simulation. Start Traffic Proxy on server. Start your sim, when the main screen where you selct aircraft, scenery, etc. appears the Traffic proxy window should confirm it is connected to the Sim. That's the first part. Now go to your client and start vPilot if the connect button is greyed out most likely it is because you have not created an exclusion for vPilot on your anti-virus/firewall, when doing this make sure vPilot's port number, in my case it is 3290.

[simConnect]

Protocol=Ipv4

Address=192.168.0.4

Port=500

MaxRecieveSize=4096

DisableNag=0[simConnect]

Protocol=Ipv4

Address=192.168.0.4

Port=500

MaxRecieveSize=4096

DisableNag=0

Always reboot each PC after configurating simconnect files, IP addresses, etc. When you are done both PC should be freshly rebooted and you are ready to start the session.

Hope this helps, if you have any other queries, let us know.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted

OK Joaquim I will have a good look at this tomorrow its late here.

Just quickly though, I did not do what you explained about the IP addresses so I will look at that but I did the sharing exactly as you said it and my servers C: drive shows up on the client machine and I can access the drive without problems.

I'll post again tomorrow after going through the rest of your post.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Hope you get your issues resolved no matter what you decide to do, Paul, but I just had to throw this in... it doesn't sound like you're the type to do this, but consider that blindly following instructions without understanding them can be more detrimental than not (even if things seem to work at the end).

For example (and I mean no offense to Joaquin), much of the above is not only completely unrelated but also superfluous and even misleading/undesirable.

Best of luck to you.

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

No offence taken.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted
Hope you get your issues resolved no matter what you decide to do, Paul, but I just had to throw this in... it doesn't sound like you're the type to do this, but consider that blindly following instructions without understanding them can be more detrimental than not (even if things seem to work at the end).

For example (and I mean no offense to Joaquin), much of the above is not only completely unrelated but also superfluous and even misleading/undesirable.

Best of luck to you.

Yes, I take your point, but I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that I am trying to learn as well as following instructions and feel as if I am learning a lot along the way. Believe me I've been sitting here for hours (which we've all done at some point) trying to get this right. I do know what you are getting at though.

However, I did feel I'd hit a dead end and was at the point of 'any help would be good help'. Thanks to Joaquim I had a new lead.

Paul Matthews 1326126
Posted
Posted
No offence taken.