You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkbox 1.3 Beta

Christopher Collins

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted (edited)

UPDATE: I'm not accepting any new Beta applications. Update at the end of the thread. Rest of message left for information.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All, I've recently stepped in to take over XSquawkBox maintenance from Wade.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, it's been over a year since XSquawkBox 1.2 was released, and some rather unpleasant bugs have since been discovered in with the way it behaves with XPlane 10.

I've spent a couple of days getting things in order, and I believe we'll have release 1.3 within a month. There's already a beta, and I need your help testing it!

The main goal of the 1.3 release is just to fix bugs and get XSquawkBox back into a stable, reliable state for all users.

Got questions? feel free to post them in reply

---- Applying to Help Out With This XSB Beta ---

The XSB 1.3 release is a maintenance release with aims to:

• Correct the rendering issues with HDR + global shadows
  • Fix random crashes on launch on Windows systems

If you are affected by either of the above, I really want to hear from you, but even if you aren't, I still need hands on the beta to make sure nothing else has broken!

The beta for 1.3 only supports Windows and OS X 10.8+ at this time. The main target is 64bit X-Plane users, but 32-bit only users are welcome to apply too.

There is currently no Linux version yet - if you are using Linux, do feel free to apply and I will let you know once a Linux version is available. I am currently working on the Linux build, but did not want to hold up the Windows and OSX users.

If you wish to help with the XSB beta, please make sure that:

• You have have experience flying on VATSIM under air traffic control
  • That you fly regularly in areas with other traffic, under voice capable controllers
  • You are correctly set up for voice on VATSIM and have tested it with older versions of XSB or with other pilot clients (on other simulators)
  • That you are capable of testing on X-Plane 10 or newer
  • That you are using a Mac or Windows system

I will not validate VATSIM experience unless I get an overwhelming number of beta applications. The expectation is that you are sufficiently aware of how voice works on VATSIM, have a working voice set-up that you have used and tested and will not need hand-holding through the initial set-up of XSquawkBox.

If you qualify for the above, please send an email to with "XSB 1.3Beta1" in the subject and provide the following information:

• Your preferred contact email address (if not the one you're emailing me on)
  • Operating System & Version (eg: OS X 10.10, or Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
  • X-Plane Version Number and, for 10.20 or newer, if you're using the 32bit or 64bit executable
  • Version of XSquawkBox you're currently using/have previously used or any other pilot clients you have experience with using
  • That you understand that, as this is a beta, that there will most likely be bugs and that you accept the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated risks

The information you provide will only be used to produce rough demographics of systems used for testing so I can work out what is and isn't getting tested.

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming I'm not overwhelmed with offers, I should be able to get a link out to you within 24 hours that has the beta release and instructions for reporting issues during the Beta testing period.

For privacy reasons, please ensure that you ONLY send the above via email to the nominated address - do not post to the forum.

Edited by Guest

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Just an update on the Beta,

I have plenty of Windows testers, thanks.

I could do with more MacOS and Linux based testers.

And for the Linux based users, I have a preliminary Linux build working as of 5 minutes ago which is working fine on my test system except for audio device select (can only use PulseAudio right now) - this is the home stretch for an updated 64bit Linux plugin and I should hopefully have this ready shortly.

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

hi I would be interested in being a beta tester for Xplane.

I know you have a enough windows testers but I have only just managed to get to this as I have been rather busy today.

Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Robert Drummond 1166519
Posted
Posted

I would like to test for MAC OS..

thanks,

Rob

Branko Gojkovic 1074685
Posted
Posted

test for windows

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

I sent you an email on June 26th saying I'd like to test on OSX. No reply as of yet. Do you still need testers?

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

An update on the beta!

Sorry to everybody who has applied but I haven't responded to yet - I had to take a brief break, fell behind by about 20 applications and I haven't had any time free to spend on XSB since then. I'm closing beta applications because I have plenty of testers now, but won't have enough time to process the backlog until I have the next "official" 1.3 beta ready.

If you sent me an email and haven't yet received a reply, you will most likely get an email when the next beta release goes out.

As for that, I've received mostly good news about the beta from the testers so far, so I think we're on track to have a 1.3 final along shortly if we can get Linux under wraps.

For the Linux users, the good news is that we have a plugin that works (mostly) with 64bit X-Plane 10. The bad news is that it still has a reproducible crash-to-desktop bug in it. We're still working on it and hope to have it fixed soon.

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted
The bad news is that it still has a reproducible crash-to-desktop bug in it.

That's better news than if it were an intermittent bug!

swift - Developer

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
The bad news is that it still has a reproducible crash-to-desktop bug in it.

That's better news than if it were an intermittent bug!

Sure - it's good news for us developers - doesn't help the users much

Thomas Drewing
Posted
Posted

Thank you, Christopher, for your contribution especially to the Linux community.

Your efforts are one of the few positive signals (besides of the Swift Client).

I have been grounded for over two years now, due to the lack of support for X-Plane 10 (64-bit) under Linux.

May you do well and be persistent enough to eventually provide access for the Linux community to VATSIM again.

Andrzej Borysewicz
Posted
Posted

Hi Christopher,

If I understood right, you will not release anything for Windows/Mac until you have Linux problems sorted out?

Thank you for working on that project, it is so much needed and anticipated.

Cheers, AJ

Eddie Doloughty 810086
Posted
Posted

I second the comment by Thomas. I've been grounded for a couple of years now after discovering the XP/Linux combination. Thank you for your efforts!

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Another update!

The 1.3.0 release for Windows and OS X is imminent - I'll be preparing the release build(s) in the next 48 hours.

Linux should get a 1.3.0b2 release to the testers who applied within the same time-frame. I made a fairly significant breakthrough in the past 2 hours and I will be executing a closed beta with it to see if it's stable enough for release.

Unfortunately, it's past midnight here, so there'll be no further progress for another 18 or so hours - but keep your eyes peeled for good news soon!

Thomas Drewing
Posted
Posted

That is superb news, Christopher!

I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Linux XSB.

F I N A L L Y !

Charles Rizzi 810637
Posted
Posted

Thank you. Looking forward to being able to fly VATSIM again.

Charles Rizzi

Andrzej Borysewicz
Posted
Posted
Another update!

The 1.3.0 release for Windows and OS X is imminent - I'll be preparing the release build(s) in the next 48 hours.

Hi Chris,

Did you run on any additional problems? I can hardly wait to try the 1.3 without crashes.

Good luck and thank you for your work!

Andrzej Borysewicz
Posted
Posted

Thank you Duncan.

Since there was an announcement in this thread, I was expecting the info HERE.

Going there NOW!

Thomas Drewing
Posted
Posted

Any news/ progress on the 64-bit Linux release?

Thomas Drewing
Posted
Posted
Any news/ progress on the 64-bit Linux release?

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/2015/07/presenting-xsquawkbox-1-3-0/

The posted link is known and already six days old.

It does not answer my question for news/ progress of the 64-bit Linux client.

Andrzej Borysewicz
Posted
Posted

Wasn't known to me as I expected the updates here.

And it answers your question by using word "shortly".

If anything new comes up, i am sure it will be announced in the old posted link.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

A closed beta has been running for XSB 1.3 Linux with the people who had applied during the original 1.3 beta.

Unfortunately, real life flying and study along with an event I'm involved with have been eating my time the past few weeks . I should finally have some time again this week.

On the good news front: Linux got some major bug fixes last time I worked on the code (some of this the closed beta testers don't have hands on yet).

• Audio device selection now works.
  • dsnoop/dmix now works.
  • Optimum sampling rate selection improved

This means it's possible to use XSquawkBox without pulseaudio, and more importantly, you can actually pick which audio device you want to use.

There's a few stability related changes I want to get in before we have a final release (we still CTD on a whole slew of audio related problems that we shouldn't crash on), but as the audio code is now working well enough to be considered usable, I'm hoping that this will be a much faster process than it was to get to this point in the first place.

Eddie Doloughty 810086
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update and great news!

• 3 weeks later...
Oliver Drewing 978335
Posted
Posted

It's the end of the month and I am wondering if there are any news on the linux client?