You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Absolute Pain in the Rear!

Donald Tonks

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted

ARRRGGG!

Bout ready to trash this gig!

Have only used this client as i'm new to VATSIM in general but using FlightSims since 1995, flew on some other similar based site but can't remember name?

Virtually every time used it fails at some point!

Most common is at end of flight - at the most fun part - approach!

I find myself disconnected from voice to ATC

They hear me...I can't hear them

Does it all the time!

Anyone else?

Donald

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Im going to guess its a UDP timeout error which will be down to your router. When you speak are you then able to hear the ATC for a short period?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted
Im going to guess its a UDP timeout error which will be down to your router. When you speak are you then able to hear the ATC for a short period?

No it basically just quits?

Played around last night after ending flight AGAIN due to issues...I was looking into updates for drivers or? and found a compatibility tab and discovered it was set to default with Windows XP...I run Windows 7...so I reset that value and will be trying again today to check and see if that changes the game?

Donald

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Basically just quits? Care to elaborate a little please.

Is there a pattern?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted
Basically just quits? Care to elaborate a little please.

Is there a pattern?

Well yes in brief.

I load ASN, then FSX-AirCraft, AD and gate, then vPilot, all opened as administrator, which vPilot has been check for also.

Double check vPilot for voice settings before attempting a COM check if ATC are available.

They usually give me a 4.5 - 5 or even 5.5.

It starts at end of flight typically, haven't used long so limited in my personal DATA analysis, however I'm sure I've bailed at the start also as I've been fiddling with this since install.

My verbal communications are fine, can hear controllers and others on frequency.

It just at some point quits...I don't realize when until I'm asked to respond by ATC and they don't get a response then the text msg and I then push my talk button as usual, they hear me, I can't hear them...it's at this point I attempt several times bothering ATC usually, and the type in having vPilot issues, gotta bail.

Like I stated earlier I've now got it running in Win 7 mode hope that fixes issues?

THX for your responses!

Donald

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sounds like a port time out to me, or getting stuck one way (you can send, but not receive)

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Sounds exactly as we mentioned at the start. UDP timeout.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm not a network professional, but I was under the impression that UDP timeouts would temporarily resolve if the PTT were keyed, thus resetting the timer. That doesn't seem to happen in this case. Am I incorrect about how timeouts work/resolve?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

The OP has not stated he presses the PTT and if he does if anything has changed. We could [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume but so far its very limited info. BTW your impression is correct.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I'm still amazed that VVL hasn't implemented a keep alive packet for NAT. It's not hard - send a magic packet that AVS is programmed to ignore.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted
The OP has not stated he presses the PTT and if he does if anything has changed. We could [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume but so far its very limited info. BTW your impression is correct.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume PTT means push to transmit/talk and the answer is of course?

If not elaborate on the meanings of this PTT- and then I can wrap me little brain around these other items...time outs etc...

Donald

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume PTT means push to transmit/talk and the answer is of course?

If not elaborate on the meanings of this PTT- and then I can wrap me little brain around these other items...time outs etc...

Also nothing changes as far as colors in frequency box upper right etc, it has come back but only after I've pretty much lost control over the situation and in regards as to others enjoyment so I then just bail.

Donald

Donald Tonks
Posted
Posted

Maybe a reset via disconnect then connect?

How bout that?

Donald

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I'm not a network professional, but I was under the impression that UDP timeouts would temporarily resolve if the PTT were keyed, thus resetting the timer.

You'd think so, yes... but really what we're talking about is expected behavior of a router's software, and there are lots of different types of routers out there, so YMMV.

I'm still amazed that VVL hasn't implemented a keep alive packet for NAT. It's not hard - send a magic packet that AVS is programmed to ignore.

+1 times a million.

Maybe a reset via disconnect then connect?

In theory, it should also be as easy as selecting a different frequency (or the other radio without enabling receive on both), waiting a moment for vPilot to drop the voice room connection (perhaps Ross can provide a more specific amount of time?), then re-tune the frequency. I'd guess that it would take only a matter of a few seconds to complete this (unless vPilot intentionally latches onto a voice room connection - not at my PC to test that at the moment).

@Donald: You might try the above (disabling the COM radio or changing the frequency, waiting a moment, then re-tuning the controller's frequency) to see if voice communications are fully restored.