You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Convention - THANK YOU!

Mark Zameda 810257

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Hey everyone!

I'd like to thank all of you who attended the first annual VATUSA Convention at the Chicago O'Hare Hilton! Our first convention was a resounding success, with nary a snag or problem. We had a total of 41 people in attendance at the convention, and including family, about 45 joined us at dinner on Saturday night!

We kicked things off Friday evening with a meet-and-greet in the convention rooms. I finally got to meet my old vZAU staffers (Marko S. and Pablo N.), and got to put some faces with names now. We convened the convention at 7:00 PM, and opened with some comments from Jeff Turner (VATUSA1). Jeff began the Town-Hall meeting with some comments from VATUSA Staff regarding the current status and future plans for the organization, and the floor opened for discussion. We had a great time going over some new ideas regarding training, websites, and TMU.

Saturday morning we began cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es at 8 AM sharp (no, for the last time I didn't come up with this schedule ). I spoke about real world Chicago ARTCC, then and now, and gave a few minutes to talk about the VATUSA TMU. David Klain enlightened us with a history of virtual airlines. Bill Alderson told us what he does when we misbehave on the network (with Mark Tom[Mod - Happy Thoughts]oni and I adlibing the theme from COPS). John Holt gave us a complete rundown of charts and what to look for on the charts the NOAA/FAA has to offer. Finally, Marc Glorioso finished things off with a great cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on how to provide enroute spacing for aircraft.

As soon as cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] was over Bill Alderson (VATUSA4), Craig Merriman (VATUSA2), John Davis (vZAU Controller), Roger Curtiss (VATUSA10), Max Ritter (PWA CEO), Mike Kaplan (vZBW events), Mark Polston (VATUSA9), and Matt Jamieson (vZLC ATM) piled into my truck and Bill's Jeep for a trek to Aurora. We spent almost three hours at the Chicago ARTCC in Aurora, IL. These guys won a raffle to go on the tour, and all got some "stick time" plugged in with another controller and monitoring a few sectors!

Three other gentlemen (Gerell Mulhollan (Scott Mulhollan's Dad), John Hall (UvA), and a third guy (I'm really sorry I dont' remember - I need a secretary!) joined David Klain of United Virtual and went for a quick tour of Chicago in his Mooney from UGN!

We had 20 guys join us for the VATUSA convention flyin, comprised of sectors from MCO_APP by Tom Ferry, all the way to ABQ_CTR by Mike Mullaly. Nearly the entire United States was covered with ATC, and it was really something to come back from the ZAU tour and see the room set up like a control floor, with all laptops lined up and everyone working traffic together.

At about 5 PM we closed up the flyin and got prepared for dinner, where the Hilton treated us to a buffet of gourmet deep dish pizzas and salads. Now that our appetites for the day were sated, Jeff Turner began a duplicate session of the town hall meeting to give an update to those who couldn't make it Friday night (about a dozen guys had late flights or family engagements). We then started giving off door prizes, ranging from 7110.65's from the FAA, to various charts and plotters from the NOAA. I tried to write down all the names, unforutunately I couldn't get them all. I do know that H. Jehblowme won the first prize, but wasn't present. Peter Griffith won another prize, but we couldn't seem to find him either. The other prizes went to the table in the back of the room, so we sent investigators to check on a possible fix in the raffles . Lucky winners Tom Ferry and Josh Rosard won a 6 month paid subscription to Computer Pilot magazine, courtesy of the company for supporting us in the convention!

After we gave away all the raffle prizes, we began talks of where to hold the convention next year. The attendees decided upon vote to not go to a city in the Central Region again, since Chicago is done already. That left Boston in the Northeast Region, Atlanta in the Southern, and Las Vegas in the Western. It went up to a vote. Atlanta got 3 votes, Boston got 13 votes, and Las Vegas won with 15 votes! We also discussed the dates of the convention, and figured that sometime in late February or Early March would work out best since it's after the Pro Bowl (for the Gamblers) and before spring break (for airline rates).

So...the second annual VATUSA Convention will be held.............

LATE FEB-EARLY MARCH, 2007 in LAS VEGAS, NEVADA!

Since we have more time, we'll have plenty more details before summer is out, thanks!

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported us, I hope we'll see you all next year!

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nicholas Bartolotta 912967

• Jeffery Williams 849847

• Isaac Niedrauer 947516

• Mark Zameda 810257

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nicholas Bartolotta 912967

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967 7 posts

• Jeffery Williams 849847

Jeffery Williams 849847 6 posts

• Isaac Niedrauer 947516

Isaac Niedrauer 947516 4 posts

• Mark Zameda 810257

Mark Zameda 810257 3 posts

Popular Days

• Mar 29 2006

17 posts

• Mar 30 2006

16 posts

• Mar 28 2006

5 posts

• Apr 3 2006

4 posts

Ethan Klapper 884347
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a great time!!! I really regret not being able to attend..I had a commitment at school. Maybe next year . My parents love Vega$!

Ethan Klapper

VATUSA13

VATUSA Deputy Events Director

Justin Deyoe
Posted
Posted

Well Vegas throws me out...:/ Now if it were Boston, then great, I would be able to swing that, and a chance to meet you all in my old hangout, would be freaking great.

Justin Deyoe

ZBW Student

2636.png

Isaac Niedrauer 947516
Posted
Posted

Man, I was hoping it would be in Dallas and I might be able to make it.

Clear Skies,

Isaac Niedrauer

Joshua Ridderhoff 873800
Posted
Posted

I'm excited to hear it's going to be in Vegas! I'm pretty hopeful that I'll be able to actually make that one. Since I live in the SLC area, Vegas is only a day's drive south.

(Plus it'll give me a good excuse to get out of this !@#$!@^ state for a few days, which is always a good thing! )

/s/ Josh Ridderhoff

ZLC Senior Controller

Fly ZLC! | ZLC Pilot & Controller Forums

Tom Ferry 942166
Posted
Posted

Yes vegas should be a blast........but I dunno if your gonna be able to pull me off the slot machine to come control...........well i guess eventually ill run outtta money

Tom Ferry

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

To help defray the convention cost next year, Zameda is working on a laptop with ASRC that requires you to put in a quarter and pull a handle every time you issue a command!!

Dave

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
After we gave away all the raffle prizes, we began talks of where to hold the convention next year. The attendees decided upon vote to not go to a city in the Central Region again, since Chicago is done already. That left Boston in the Northeast Region, Atlanta in the Southern, and Las Vegas in the Western. It went up to a vote. Atlanta got 3 votes, Boston got 13 votes, and Las Vegas won with 15 votes! We also discussed the dates of the convention, and figured that sometime in late February or Early March would work out best since it's after the Pro Bowl (for the Gamblers) and before spring break (for airline rates).

With respect, but shouldn't this decision be based upon feedback of all VATUSA members, rather than the 30-odd people who made it to Chicago? The more feedback you solicit, the more likely you are to get higher attendance.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

With respect, but shouldn't this decision be based upon feedback of all VATUSA members, rather than the 30-odd people who made it to Chicago? The more feedback you solicit, the more likely you are to get higher attendance.

Cheers!

Luke

I'm all for Vegas!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

That left Boston in the Northeast Region, Atlanta in the Southern, and Las Vegas in the Western. It went up to a vote. Atlanta got 3 votes, Boston got 13 votes, and Las Vegas won with 15 votes!

No love for "A Town" huh?

Isaac Niedrauer 947516
Posted
Posted

As for the south option, why Atlanta? That is on the far East side of the United States even if it is in the south.

Clear Skies,

Isaac Niedrauer

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

You could use the same argument against Vegas because it's far west, but it's VEGAS! Convention Town and FUN TOWN! YEAH! That will be one hell of a location for a convention. Not to mention, cheap hotel rooms and other entertainment.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Just remeber Lance... don't try to pet the white tigers.... Lance... the other other OTHER white meat

In all seriousness, Vegas would be a great place and would attrack more members. As would Florida... any excuse for sun and fun

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

Vegas is a good choice. Hopefully I can make it next year.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

I believe it was Dave who brought up a good point: the place needed to have the low-fare carriers (Southwest, ATA, etc.) so we could get some competitive deals on flights. In my opinion, Atlanta doesn't fall in that category, since AirTran is the only low-fare airline that operates out of there...and I would not want to be stuck flying on them (Or more-so Northwest for that matter, so I'm glad it wasn't Detroit )

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I don't have an issue with Vegas per se, primarily the mechanism by which the decision was made.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Isaac Niedrauer 947516
Posted
Posted

I don't understand why Atlanta was selected as the southery option for the vote...which only included about 30 people and left the other thousands out.

Clear Skies,

Isaac Niedrauer

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
I believe it was Dave who brought up a good point: the place needed to have the low-fare carriers (Southwest, ATA, etc.) so we could get some competitive deals on flights. In my opinion, Atlanta doesn't fall in that category, since AirTran is the only low-fare airline that operates out of there...and I would not want to be stuck flying on them (Or more-so Northwest for that matter, so I'm glad it wasn't Detroit )

Not to hijack the thread, but what is wrong with AirTran? I jumpseated on an AirTran flight a few weeks ago and they treated me like a king. The aircraft was new and spotless and everyone was extremely friendly.

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
I don't understand why Atlanta was selected as the southery option for the vote...which only included about 30 people and left the other thousands out.

Don't worry bud, I highly doubt that Dallas would have been chosen over Vegas either.

Neil Corman 881190
Posted
Posted

Prior to selecting a location for next year was any research done to determine the cost for meeting space and other items? Meeting space near major airpots and in heavily utilized convention cities is always higher due to demand.

Neil C

President and CEO, Virtual Frontier

www.virtualfrontier.org

Posted
Posted

Not to hijack the thread, but what is wrong with AirTran? I jumpseated on an AirTran flight a few weeks ago and they treated me like a king. The aircraft was new and spotless and everyone was extremely friendly.

I'm sure Isaac can speak to my crazy reasons for disliking certain carriers more then others It's more of the competitive advantage AirTran has had over ATA, especially in Indianapolis with Northwest moving in, which in turn made ATA move out. I guess you could say I hold grudes...but my reasons for it are basically simple displeasures I've encountered during observations of their business model.

Perhaps it was a way to "thank" the people who came to the convention? Come to Vegas next year, and you can have the chance to argue for Dallas (or wherever you'd like).

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

A reward is one thing, but I have to agree that 30/however many thousands of users we have is hardly a good statistical cross section to use to ensure maximum attendance.

And I'm saying this even though Vegas would be very doable for me and I approve of the decision .

Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted
but my reasons for it are basically simple displeasures I've encountered during observations of their business model.

Ok, but your original arguement was the ability to have low cost airfare. AirTran is an awesome low cost alternative that flies to a lot of stops providing non-stop service to Atlanta from many, many different secondary airports.

If your logic for choosing a place to hold the convention is easy connectivity, then Vegas sure doesn't fit that mold for most people east of Denver....

Now, if you just don't like em, then you just don't like em But they sure can fly me out of Bloomington in the middle of Jan and have my butt in Orlando three hours later where the sun is bright and warm looking at Mickey. No one else provides that service for me

Go AirTran! Rock on!

LOLOLOL

Jeff

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Posted
Posted
but my reasons for it are basically simple displeasures I've encountered during observations of their business model.

Ok, but your original arguement was the ability to have low cost airfare. AirTran is an awesome low cost alternative that flies to a lot of stops providing non-stop service to Atlanta from many, many different secondary airports.

If your logic for choosing a place to hold the convention is easy connectivity, then Vegas sure doesn't fit that mold for most people east of Denver....

Now, if you just don't like em, then you just don't like em But they sure can fly me out of Bloomington in the middle of Jan and have my butt in Orlando three hours later where the sun is bright and warm looking at Mickey. No one else provides that service for me

I agree, AirTran is a low-fare airline (which is what I originally said in my post). It's just a personal "tiff" I have with them on other issues, not their fares, not their planes.

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

I agree, AirTran is a low-fare airline (which is what I originally said in my post). It's just a personal "tiff" I have with them on other issues, not their fares, not their planes.

Your just mad because they are better than ATA..... j/k