You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Traffic Touchdown Issue

Kyle Henderson 1233442

Kyle Henderson 1233442
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have an issue with vPilot when other aircraft are touching down. The aircraft get to about 10-15 feet above the runway and touchdown in mid-air. After the nose gear has touched down in mid-air, the nose dives down about 5 degrees and hits the ground, with the main gear following. If anyone knows a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's caused by scenery differences. The other pilot has scenery that has the ground 15 feet above yours. vPilot detects when the other aircraft has touched down (based on no changes in the aircraft's altitude between position updates received from the server for that aircraft) and then moves the aircraft to the ground level according to your simulator. You see it happening only after the nose gear touches down because that's when the altitude stops changing for that aircraft. This is because the altitude is measured (by FSX) based on the center of gravity of the model, and the center of gravity will still be descending between the time the main gear touches down and the time the nose gear touches down.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Kyle Henderson 1233442
Posted
Posted
That's caused by scenery differences. The other pilot has scenery that has the ground 15 feet above yours. vPilot detects when the other aircraft has touched down (based on no changes in the aircraft's altitude between position updates received from the server for that aircraft) and then moves the aircraft to the ground level according to your simulator. You see it happening only after the nose gear touches down because that's when the altitude stops changing for that aircraft. This is because the altitude is measured (by FSX) based on the center of gravity of the model, and the center of gravity will still be descending between the time the main gear touches down and the time the nose gear touches down.

So I'm guessing there is no fix?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

So I'm guessing there is no fix?

Short of restricting connections from only one type of sim and all using the same scenery I couldn't see how.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg