You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Working With Voice ATIS Setup

Rob Killins 897126

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

I am trying to work out some problems with having Euroscope's Voice ATIS setup dialogue do what I need it to do.

I have entered the ATIS airport: CYQR. I am able to successfully pull up the METAR.

The ATIS maker URL i:

http://uniatis.net/atis.php?arr=$arrrwy($atisairport)&dep=$deprwy($atisairport)&apptype=ILS&info=$atiscode&metar=$metar($atisairport) (if I understand correctly this cannot be customized?)

With a press of the [Test URL] button, the text ATIS and multiple record ATIS script populates properly. For example:

[information]G[weather at]2300Z[,][Wind]310[at]9[,][Visibility] 15[,][Sky conditions][few clouds]{6400}[temperature]27[dew point]11[,][Altimeter]2987[,][Approach][ILS][runway]31[,][Departure][runway]31[,][Advise ATC that you have information]G[.]

Question #1. The ATIS airport, CYQR, isn't included at the beginning of the script. It should read ...

[CYQR][information]G[weather at]2300Z[,][Wind]310[at]9[,][Visibility] 15[,][Sky conditions][few clouds]{6400}[temperature]27[dew point]11[,][Altimeter]2987[,][Approach][ILS][runway]31[,][Departure][runway]31[,][Advise ATC that you have information]G[.]

. When I work with ATIS at CYWG, the CWYG is automatically included, but not with CYQR or other local controlled airports with ATIS. How do I ensure the airport identifier is included in the script? CYQR is defined in the record content, but when I manually post it into the script preceeding [information], all I get is a repeated "Regina Regina Regina Regina". The rest of the ATIS script is ignored. What is going on? Is this fixable?

Question #2. Is there any way to change the approach type for the runway other than to manually change it? It seems to always default to ILS. (I will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it's coded into the static uniatis url.)

Question #3. Understanding that the actual ATIS depends largely on uniatis, is there any way to customize to more closely match the ATIS dialogue of the airport in use?

RK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Rob,

You are free the change the ATIS maker. Just change the URL. You can write your own maker that completely fits your needs, or customize one (like UniAtis) if possible.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gergely, replies and support is always appreciated (although I hate taking you away from ongoing development of a great product to help resolve simple problems.)

I'm not quite sure I understand how everything works. The uniatis url provides an external ATIS updating service correct? It Iuse this service, is it which provides the format of the script? And if so, how is the script changed?

I can opt not to use an updating service like uniatis, but them I miss the luxury of automated updating. I would have to rebuild the script after each ATIS change? I can see that with this option, I can build my own format to meet my needs, but I lose the automation. I would have to re-enter the script repeatedly.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

UniATIS is highly customizable. You can view the different UniATIS formats here: http://www.uniatis.net/formats.php As you can see there are several different formats for Canadian airports, presumably created by whoever is responsible for maintaining the ATIS files in VATCAN.

I maintain the ATIS files for Sweden using UniATIS so I have some understanding of how it works - but I'm no expert! My understanding is that each airport with a custom voice file for the airport name needs its own custom format in order to have that name added automatically to the spoken ATIS. For example, ESSA, Stockholm/Arlanda has a voice file named ESSA ATIS.wav, which reads out as "Arlanda ATIS". Looking at the UniATIS format for ESSA, we can see that this in the top line of the format as airport_info :[ESSA ATIS]%info%, where %info% inserts the ATIS designation letter. ES interprets the letters within brackets as one word, or rather one sound clip, whereas letters or numbers outside brackets will played as individual numbers/letters.

Since CYQR does not have its own UniATIS format, it would use the generic format for Canadian airports, listed as CZZZ. The first line of this format reads airport_info :%airport%[information]%info%. %airport% means that the ICAO identifier will be inserted letter by letter, so in your case the ATIS should produce for example CYQR [information] A in the ATIS maker, where CYQR would be spelled out phonetically. If you do have a custom voice file with the airport's name, you need to have the UniATIS format changed so it interprets CYQR as one word, i.e. [CYQR].

Hope that makes sense!

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I just tried creating an ATIS for CYQR in ES, and indeed the identifier doesn't show up. I was expecting "CYQR[information]" after reading how the ATIS is formatted, but as you describe it just produces "[information]", without anything in front. Afraid I'm out of ideas!

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

• 1 month later...
Christopher Bennett
Posted
Posted

Rob you would need to write Sami at fishu (at) uniatis.net and become a uniatis Admin for Canada. After that's done you will be provided with login details to www.uniatis.net from where you can customize all airports within the Canadian airspace. Based on your modifications on the templates you retain the automation when the atis gets updated. You can also work with regular expressions to create highly customized templates. If you need any help once you become a uniatis Admin let me know and I will gladly help you out.

Chris Bennett

• 1 year later...
George Kalandadze
Posted
Posted

Help please.

In VATRUS we have our specialy recorded voice ATIS in two languages and for our airports. In Euroscope 3.1d it worked very well but in Euroscope 3.2 it doesn't work properly. Problems are with letter audio files (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, etc.). All is installed right. What can you recommend to solve this problem?

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted
Help please.

In VATRUS we have our specialy recorded voice ATIS in two languages and for our airports. In Euroscope 3.1d it worked very well but in Euroscope 3.2 it doesn't work properly. Problems are with letter audio files (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, etc.). All is installed right. What can you recommend to solve this problem?

What doesn't work any longer? You have to be a bit more precise to receive aim-orientated recommendations. Describe the error message if you get one or illustrate the problem with a picture.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS