You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help In Coding SIDs in ESE file...

Rob Killins 897126

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

I have either omitted, or improperly coded SID [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments in my ESE in most part to misinterpretation of purpose and how to apply my local airport's only SID to Euroscope.

Here is a symptom I'm experienced that may or may not be related to my misinterpretation and bad coding for CYWG (Winnipeg). When I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a departing aircraft its departure runway and SID, the pilot's FP will populate with the proper route with the SID (ARKAY1/13) preceding his route. Everything looks right, however, the waypoint listing is way messed up! It will list the SID but will have at least a dozen points [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated to it before the first point in the route. To plot the pilot's route on the scope displays a web of obscure legs ... clearly not what the pilot will fly. There's no doubt this is a failure in proper coding on my part.

This is the incorrect coding of the CYWG SID in my ESE:

SID:CYWG:13:ARKAY1 YWG FAREN KEDGE ALKOG BILNO LENIK ELVUX RORMA CARSO DEDGO NORUN DEGVA YRL YQK VBI YQV YDR
SID:CYWG:18:ARKAY1 AVOTU DUXUS FAREN KEDGE ALKOG BILNO LENIK ELVUX RORMA CARSO DEDGO NORUN DEGVA YRL YQK VBI YQV YDR
SID:CYWG:31:ARKAY1 YWG FAREN KEDGE ALKOG BILNO LENIK ELVUX RORMA CARSO DEDGO NORUN DEGVA YRL YQK VBI YQV YDR
SID:CYWG:36:ARKAY1 YWG FAREN KEDGE ALKOG BILNO LENIK ELVUX RORMA CARSO DEDGO NORUN DEGVA YRL YQK VBI YQV YDR

Winnipeg is the most "complex" SID in CZWG.

Departure Route Description

Turbo-jet/turbo-fan aircraft refer to noise abatement procedures for additional requirements.

All rwys: Climb to and maintain 4000' ASL or flight planned altitude, whichever is lower. Contact Departure Control as soon as practical after take-off. Anticipate radar vectors to filed/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned route. Expect clearance to flight planned altitude/flight level 10 minutes after departure.

Rwys 13, 31: Climb rwy hdg or as [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned for radar vectors.

Rwys 18, 36: Non turbo-jet/turbo-fan aircraft. Climb rwy hdg or as [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned for radar vectors.

Rwy 18: Turbo-jet/turbo-fan aircraft. Climb and maintain extended runway centreline (184° M) by best available means to 3.5 DME (N49 52.21 W97 14.89), (AVOTU). At 3.5 DME (AVOTU), turn left, climb hdg 171° or, if able, track direct to 6 DME (N49 49.70 W97 14.58), DUXUS. At 6 DME (DUXUS) continue hdg 171°, anticipate radar vectors.

Rwy 36: Turbo-jet/turbo-fan aircraft.

1. (a) Between 23:00 - 07:00 Local time [05-13Z, (04-12DT)] Clb, turn W 5° to 359° hdg as soon as safely able. At 4000' continue hdg 359°, anticipate radar vectors.
    (b) Between 07:01 - 22:59 local time [1301-0459Z, (1201-0359DT)] Clb & maintain extended runway centreline (004° M) by best available means. At 4000' continue hdg 004°, anticipate radar vectors.

Here is the pictorial representation"

Capture15.jpg

Most other controller airports in CZWG have simple SIDs, for example at CYXE Saskatoon:

Departure Route Description

All rwys: Maintain 5000 or flight planned altitude, whichever is lower. Expect radar vectors to filed/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned route. Expect clearance to flight planned altitude/flight level within 10 minutes after departure.

Rwy 09: Climb hdg 090° for vectors.

Rwy 15: Climb hdg 150° for vectors.

Rwy 27: Climb hdg 270° for vectors.

Rwy 33: Climb hdg 330° for vectors.

Capture16.jpg

I am here humbly asking for help, whether through guidance or simple hand holding, to help me understand the best (if any) to represent these SID's in Euroscope to best optimize the features of the software.

Thanks all for your time.

Matthew Gunn 964355
Posted
Posted

Just a thought - do you need a colon after the sid name e.g.

SID:CYWG:13:ARKAY1: YWG FAREN KEDGE ALKOG BILNO LENIK ELVUX RORMA CARSO DEDGO NORUN DEGVA YRL YQK VBI YQV YDR

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

Thanks folks for your support.

Kirk, thanks for sharing the wiki that I am quite familiar with. Appreciate I am having difficulty applying the explanation to my particular situation. I think where I was going with in my original post is how do I handle "the route will be declared by any FIX, VOR or NDB that makes part of the routing with spaces between each route element." when there is no fix, VOR or NDB making up a route, as in the case of the two examples I gave. It could just be I am not reading the SID properly and with a better understanding, would have no problem applying the logic.

Other than the missed colon as Matthew pointed out, I'm uncertain as to whether the information in my current SID lines is redundant, or improperly represented, considering the nature of the SID not having any defined route. (unlike the example in the wiki). I'm not sure if adding these navaids in my definitions will cause problems or not since they really aren't defined points of the SID. Maybe in these simple cases, it's best to just leave them out, and if so, is "SID:CYWG:13:ARKAY1:" sufficient or will I encounter errors or operational deficiecies? In the case of CYWG I just pulled the navaids off the diagram (is that what the SID is really defining), but in CYXE, there isn't even that.

I'd really like to avoid any interpretation problem on Euroscope's part caused by unnecessary or misrepresented information.

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

Please post a few examples of the flight plans that cause problems. Also, please provide a screenshot of what you described as "web of obscure legs".

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

This is a radar SID... you have two choices:

1. Don't code it at all

2. Use made-up fixes (and give them stupid names like WG001) to do a "best-effort" representation of the typical path flown by aircraft complying with the conditions in the text of the SID and vectors issued by the controller

The purpose of defining these routes in the ESE files is not so an aircraft FMS can fly it. The purpose is to provide the controller with a graphical view of the route and drive the RAM logic. Given that your controllers should be fairly familiar with the SIDs and STARs available and that the RAM corridor is quite wide, it is not imperative to define the route to an (unachievably) high level of accuracy.

David Zhong