You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Introducing vStrips

Matt Middleton 1264577

Matt Middleton 1264577
Posted
Posted

We are pleased to announce the release of vStrips, a revolutionary new Electronic Flight Progress Strip system for the VATSIM network.

Euroscope includes a rudimentary electronic flight progress strip system in the form of lists, however vStrips revolutionises this basic system and provides a system that is used in many real world aerodromes. This is based on the legacy “paper strip” system. Currently, it is not intended to provide support for Air Traffic Control positions above aerodrome level (AIR).

vStrips is very simple to setup as it only requires a plug in to be loaded into Euroscope and to be logged in for the program to automatically select the correct view and display aircraft flight plans as strips.

As well as displaying the basic data that Euroscope lists display, vStrips displays many more data elements at relevant times based on the aircraft’s state and progress. Aircraft are represented by strips displaying flight plan data. Strips are moved between bays which show the progress of the aircraft.

vStrips can communicate between different controllers using it, this gives controllers a much more immersive experience. Should a controller not be online or using vStrips, the program will automatically either use Euroscope available data or show a bandbox configuration.

The program also provides 2 versions which have been specifically adapted to Manchester (EGCC) and London Heathrow (EGLL) these versions also have their respective docomeentation detailing the differences from the generic version.

Currently, vStrips comes with data and drawings for major UK airports, however you can still use the program at all aerodromes. You can submit a request for aerodrome data to be added to the program here.

As with all VATSIM software vStrips is provided completely free of charge, but should not be included in any other product without the prior written permission of the author.

☞vStrips only functions with Euroscope 3.2 on the VATSIM network.☜

Sounds great! Where can I get it? ✈ Download it here!

My airfield has no vStrips data‽ ✈ Sends us a suggestion ticket here!

Have a problem? ✈ Check the FAQ here!

Not in the FAQ? ✈ Check the forum here!

Not in the FAQ or the forum? ✈ Send us a ticket here!

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

Hi. The text doesn't have any links; please post the links so we can benefit from the plug-in.

Also, I highly encourage you to post the source code of the plug-in online as well (for example on GitHub).

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

This looks fantastic, Matt! A few questions:

1. This general interface looks similar to pictures I have seen of Australia's new electronic strip software which runs off NAVCANstrips (by NavCanada). Is this also the case for the system that vStrips models?

2. How is data synchronised between clients? Is it all achieved via the network or is there a separate server that performs this task?

David Zhong

Matt Middleton 1264577
Posted
Posted
This looks fantastic, Matt! A few questions:

1. This general interface looks similar to pictures I have seen of Australia's new electronic strip software which runs off NAVCANstrips (by NavCanada). Is this also the case for the system that vStrips models?

2. How is data synchronised between clients? Is it all achieved via the network or is there a separate server that performs this task?

Hi David,

IRT Q1 - vStrips is modelled of the UK system in use at many UK Aerodromes (e.g. EGCC/LL/KK/SS/PH) to name a few, the UK system was designed by... NavCanada!!

IRT Q2 - It's all a magical to me how this bit works... but the data one controller transmits is being sent to all others regardless of whether they can see the strip or not.

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Thanks for answering my questions, Matt.

David Zhong

Marcin Lubczynski
Posted
Posted

how to start?

19.png

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Have you already read the manual? There is a guide how to install, how to use and so on .....

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

As I have echoed to Matt, Dave and his team on several occasions - vStrips is a monumental achievement, and they've put an awful lot of effort into it's development. If you haven't already, try it! Make sure you report any bugs too, so we can all benefit from a continually improving system.

Out of interest, has anyone been using it out of the UK successfully?

On another note - we're currently combatting a list of members waiting for training at Heathrow, but if you've got your validation, or you want to join the list when Heathrow is open for visitors, please come and control! It's been great fun on aerodrome control using vStrips when there's traffic.

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Matt Middleton 1264577
Posted
Posted

We have now updated to Version 1.1

Change long as follows

Enhancements since V1.0:

⦁ QNH < 1000 hPa now displays as 3 digits.

⦁ Splashscreen is now automatically closed after the initial startup and on opening the Options Form.

⦁ Added user options to cross select flights between vStrips and EuroScope.

⦁ No longer shows the users ATC callsign in the options for the Next Frequency strip field.

⦁ Improved Holding Points diagram for EGLL (Heathrow).

Bug fixes:

⦁ Manually set SVFR state now not overwritten by EuroScope VFR state.

⦁ Options Form limited to a single instance at a time.

⦁ Strip now retains all data after clearance form has been closed.

⦁ Departure runway change via the strip now works correctly.

We are currently investigating the following issues

⦁ Failure to intialise on some (2) Windows 10 PCs.

⦁ Failure to receive users ATC login from EuroScope on some (2) PCs.

⦁ Failure to display strips for aircraft (specifically LMML).

If the above has happened to you or you have a problem please contact us here - vStrips Support Centre

Not downloaded it yet? Download Here

• 4 weeks later...
Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Hello,

thank you for this utility - it is amazing. Here at Prague, we have touchscreen strips at real life and this tool works very similar.

Just some feature requests from me:

1) PLEASE allow us to resize the individual strip boxes - they are resizable in real life to match current situation (lot of inbounds and no outbounds, etc). Just every intersection of edges should be dragable.

2)It would be awesome if we had the chance to configure the strips - the content of individual strips, which fiels is where, their size, colours, click actions, etc.

3) Even better - if we could configure the fields - where are the pending outbounds, where are pending inbounds, what is taxiway bay, etc - in our real Nova 9000 system the strips flow in the opposite direction than in your vStrips (right top is starting place for new born strips).

Anyway, thank you for vStrips.

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

• 3 weeks later...
Matt Middleton 1264577
Posted
Posted
Hello,

thank you for this utility - it is amazing. Here at Prague, we have touchscreen strips at real life and this tool works very similar.

Just some feature requests from me:

1) PLEASE allow us to resize the individual strip boxes - they are resizable in real life to match current situation (lot of inbounds and no outbounds, etc). Just every intersection of edges should be dragable.

2)It would be awesome if we had the chance to configure the strips - the content of individual strips, which fiels is where, their size, colours, click actions, etc.

3) Even better - if we could configure the fields - where are the pending outbounds, where are pending inbounds, what is taxiway bay, etc - in our real Nova 9000 system the strips flow in the opposite direction than in your vStrips (right top is starting place for new born strips).

Anyway, thank you for vStrips.

Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Many thanks for your kind words!

If you could e-mail me at [email protected] I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you to see if we can reach some form of happy medium.