You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Trying to get back into vFlying

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

For those of you who know, it has been a while! And I'm working to get flying again. I really missed this hobby.

So, I made a laptop purchase. I decided to go for a laptop this time due to mobility versus a desktop. So here are the specs:

MSI GE60 2PF Apache Pro

i7-4710MQ 2.5 ghz (stock)

8gb DDR5 RAM

GeForce 860M 2gb

1TB HDD 7200rpm

I was FS9 all the way, then. But since most addons are now focused on FSX, I was wondering if this system can handle FSX well? Without the tormenting stutters? I do plan to install only the aircraft addons and not much about the heavy scenery downloads.

Your insights would be much appreciated!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 2 months later...
Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hey Romano, welcome back. I was indeed wondering where you had vanished, but such is VATSIM (not that I have been online much these days)

You might've gone away for a bit, but FSX still sucks. You are not going to install and get away with it, tuning tuning tuning, like as always. There is hope though, but stutters can be reduced with tuning tuning tuning...Did I mention you gotta tune the FSX settings...okay.

Take a look at P3D, seems to be doing pretty good, as is FSX:SE or Steam Edition. Neither are 64-bit yet, but there is a promise of it going 64bit. Since software, especially ACFT, are sold separately for each of the editions, in most cases, you might want to have a look see before you commit to it. P3D still involves a bit of arm twisting as far as I can tell from forums, but is definitely improving. I am still using FSX, don't want to change for now as I don't fly much.

The only 64-bit in town is ofcourse XPlane, and it has got a whole slew of awesome addons in terms of acft and scenery. So that's also worth a look.

Good to have you back man!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1