You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Aircraft recommendations? A330 and the like

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

I've been thinking about starting to do longer flights, including flights that cross the Atlantic. I would like to be able to fly one of the A330/340/350 planes, and that's where I've been doing some research. The ones I've been looking at are:

• JarDesign A330
  • This A330-300 which I think is the JetSim one despite the product code indicating RWDesigns
  • FlightFactor A350 XWB Advanced

Now, they all have their limitations, apparently. The JarDesign one has pretty much the same FMS as their A320neo has, except that in the A330 it also supports lat/lon waypoints. It doesn't, however have an FMS page that would neatly contain all the information needed for an oceanic position report. There's also still no time/speed constraints or FMS support for step climbs, but I think I could live with that.

The Jetsim A330 on the other hand seems to be suffering from crashes and other issues. The developer hasn't responded to queries since January, so I'm wondering if these will ever get fixed. From what I gather, the FMS is quite well done but I'm not sure about the limitations.

The FlightFactor A350 looks really nice but has some odd limitations. There's "very limited" support for SIDs and STARs (meaning they have to be configured in an odd way and I'm not sure how exactly). Apparently, you can enter a flight plan to the FMS directly, but the thing doesn't support airways and you need to manually enter every waypoint which sounds like a big pain in the rudder.

On top of all this, my computer is a Mac, and all of those planes appear to have some issues of the crash-to-desktop variety on Macs.

So, my question to you fellow X-Plane Vatsimmers is: what plane would you recommend for me? If you have experience with the planes mentioned here, I'm eager to read it. If you can recommend other aircraft (including non-Airbuses), that's welcome, too. Freeware and payware are both ok. Please indicate your operating system, because of the apparently common Mac issues.

Thanks in advance!

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Okay, so no replies. That actually tells me something: not many of you probably have experience with these planes either, which caused me to worry a little more about spending money on them. I ended up purchasing the Boeing 777 instead. I've done a few test flights on it, and so far I like it very much. I'll be doing my first 777 flight online today I think

The only thing is, there's an airline whose routes I like to fly, and their RW fleet is all Airbus. I decided that it shall not be a problem for me, and I will be flying their routes in the 777, too.

Even though there weren't any replies to my original post, thanks to everyone who bothered to read it!

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Sorry man, I would recommend the Jar 330 and FF 350.

I personally like all the FF aircraft (B752 being my favourite) and the Jar 330. I find the JetSim A330 to be lacking compared to that of the JarDesign.

The T7 by FlightFactor was my first payware aircraft for XP and I still think it is a great product!

Philip Whitehead 1223066
Posted
Posted

The JAR A330 is the best out of the ones you have mentioned. There is brilliant soundset available for it too.

FSX- X-Plane 10 - Intel Core i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz - MSi Z77 Mpower mobo - EVGA GTX660 Superclocked 3gb - 8gig of Samsung Green DDR3 at 1866mhz

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Thanks Josh and Philip. In the end I figured out that the JAR is the most advanced and complete of those aircraft. However, I could not pay the full price for an aircraft that is still specified as a beta on the OS I'm running. Had there been a discounted price on OSX, I just might have tried it.

So. I took the 777 for a flight today, decided to get more practice before going online, so I flew offline. And it crashed. Crashed as in software error, not crashed as in uncontrolled landing. Oh well, I'll try again another day.

Jonathan Hinson 1332024
Posted
Posted

I would recommend any aircraft that you think works smoothly to you .

• 1 month later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

If you want quick replies to any almost any Xplane Question, the place to go is www.facebook.com/groups/Xpdedicated

This is a family friendly group that has some strong values such as no bad language, no one is made to feel stupid and no one will shout at you for asking a million questions.

Come and like us on the above link.

Wycliffe Barrett Vatsim c3, CEO of Xplane Dedicated.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks