You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature request: rotate ASRs

Harry Sugden

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

Several ground maps / SMRs in the UK would be more suited to a slightly different orientation. Sometimes it's because the airport has a single north-south runway, and you can zoom in more when it is horizontal, and sometimes because in real life, the particular SMR is rotated to show the orientation as the controller looks out of the tower.

As an example - Birmingham has runway 15/33, with a terminal on the east side, and an apron and tower on the west side. Controllers look from the western tower towards the eastern terminal, so the SMR is orientated with the runway east-west.

Normal: https://i.gyazo.com/b920ff9c3c66bb9779a20f6efa56db80.png

Altered: https://i.gyazo.com/f37e1a28da47da125182113499192a5e.png

The way I've rotated SMRs in the past has been to change the magnetic variation in the sector file, which is how I produced the altered version. However, as shown by the line drawn over the runway, this screws up the comp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. Also, when you change the mag. var. in the sector file, it changes the orientation of any ASRs that use it, and since the London controller pack uses one sector file, it causes a bit of a problem!

So my request: to be able to rotate ASRs (independently of each other), whilst retaining the correct magnetic comp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] directions.

Anyone else ever needed to do this?

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted

Yep And I will love it, if one day it is available.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

The only thing is, if you have multiple radar screens they should be oriented the same way otherwise it gets very confusing. I would support this feature though as the same ASR could easily be used in different orientations according to context.

For example, a Tower could rotate the ASR and the ATM to match the view from the window, whereas the Radar controller would want the ASR north up when covering top-down. What's needed is a 'Tower view' heading' function where you set the heading in degrees of the way you are facing when sitting looking out the window and this heading would need to be added in to the drawing calculation when plotting the video map.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

• 3 weeks later...
Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

+1

Here at Prague we would LOVE this, exactly what the real systems do - make the main runway horizontal on the screen...

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

• 1 month later...
Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

+1 To this, using the magnetic variation just doesn't work well.

• 1 month later...
Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

@Gergely do you think this is possible? The displays down at LACC Swanwick from which London Control and lots of London airports are controlled from have a little feature that looks like this:

222518.png

I know this is on lots of the ATMs in the UK as well, and it would be really useful on VATSIM so I'd be grateful if you could investigate!

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

The rotation itself is already part of the code because of true and magnetic north handling. A bit more turning I guess should be possible. I register it, but please do not expect immediate result.

http://www.euroscope.hu/mantis/view.php?id=578

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 11 months later...
Jouka Ahponen
Posted
Posted

Sorry for bumping an old post. But noticed that this has been included on the latest r12 beta release. Where can I find this feature and how to use it?