You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Weird issue with my mic and vPilot? SOLVED

Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay so I just did my first flight on vatsim. I'll post up some stuff later on it (It was soooo awesome and thanks to you guys helping me in the pilot center for the most part it went smooth and I think I did a great job especially with STARs and SIDs). But I had a problem in the beginning contacting MSP departure (If you see this, thank you for being so patient with me).

My mic is showing up in windows 10 as on, and if I do a test of it I can hear myself. But for some reason on vPilot I couldn't be heard although they could hear me. I calibrated my mic, tested it, and then it would work for a short period of time. But it was iffy if it worked or not. When I thought I got it working, after getting taxi clearance, ATC responded with (did you copy?) which.. I did but they didn't hear me. So for the rest of flight I kept contact through text.

Anyone else have similar mic issues???

Edited by Guest

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sounds like a port time out.

youll need to setup port forwarding on your router (see routers manual how to set that up). youll want to port forward UDP 3290. thats the voice port

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I'll try that, but wouldn't they never hear me if that was the case? I mean he could hear me sometimes but it was very rare. And it took me forever at first to get him to hear me. Definitely don't want to keep playing this guessing game of "can ATC hear me or not?"

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Please realize that although folks will help you as best as possible, very few folks use Win10 (and many staunchly stand by Win7), and Win10 is not a supported platform (at least not yet). So don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of help. We'll help you as generically as we can, but if it's a Win10 issue, you're a test pilot without a parachute.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Yeah I kinda figured that. In case anyone was wondering, it runs perfect on my computer aside from a glitch with my x52 flight controls which I was able to fix by completely removing and reinstalling the drivers (installing them under windows 7 compatibility mode).

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Aaaand... SOLVED!

Just to let anyone on here know (in case they are in windows 10, could possibly work for windows 7 as well), my issue was not with the mic "not" working, but with it being WAY too soft. I decided, on a hunch, to test if my mic was cutting out (a bad wire on it.. this mic is old and been abused), but what I found after talking to a friend on Ventrilo was that he could barely hear me. It was super quiet. So I went into my microphone settings (in volume controls) and pushed the microphone boost all the way to +30.0db. He said he could hear me perfect then. So while I'm still in FSX/Vatsim I contacted MSP approach to see if they could now hear me... and they can!!! Loud and clear!

So I don't know if this is strictly a windows 10 issue (I never had volume issues on chat clients before win10 upgrade) but if you upgrade, and all of a sudden can't be heard, it's most likely your volume is super low.