You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can't start VPilot suddenly

David Rondeau 1322591

David Rondeau 1322591
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone may have had the same problem that I suddenly developed yesterday. Now when I try to start Vpilot I get a long delay followed by the following error:

U0m1iLU.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by Guest

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The link you tried to post as an image is actually a web page containing the image. You need to link directly to the image URL, like so:

U0m1iLU.png

Another user reported the same exact problem yesterday, but I have never seen it before and have no idea what could be causing it. I haven't had much time to search around the 'net for similar posts, but one that I found suggests that the PC itself may be low on resources (memory, cpu). Have you tried rebooting the machine and running only vPilot with no other apps running, not even your simulator?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

David Rondeau 1322591
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the tip on the image and quick reply. That may be it. My SSD was full yesterday and I was getting a message about it. I've since cleaned up an old windows install and made some room. I will update once I get a chance to check and let you know if that was the cause. I'm in the middle of a long flight but will post in a few hours so you know.

Thanks again for the quick response!

** I should have noted I tried starting it again while flying since freeing up space and it didn't work. That said, with FSX and a bunch of add ons running it may be available memory or something as well. When I land I will try to start JUST Vpilot and report back. On the Vatsim facebook page people were wondering about Win10. I did upgrade but Vpilot had been working fine since the upgrade.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, vPilot works fine for me and lots of other users on Windows 10.

David Rondeau 1322591
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I uninstalled it after clearing up some space on my SSD and then reinstalled it. Everything seemed to go well and I got the "Run Vpilot now" after install and said yes before opening anything else. Unfortunately nothing happened for a while (It was showing in the task manager http://prntscr.com/885v25 then I got this error which I think is the same as I had before. Any idea what else I can try? I miss flying on Vatsim and Vpilot is the best by a mile of the clients.

This came up after maybe 90 seconds - 2 minutes: http://prntscr.com/885wvl

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you running any anti-virus software?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Another user had success fixing this error by running vPilot in compatibility mode for Windows 7. He also runs vPilot as an administrator.

Still curious if you're running any anti-virus software, though.

Evan Nadeau 1262192
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if this would be a fix for you, but it will be a fix for anyone who has a clean install of windows 10. vPilot seems to be using directx 9. Windows 10 clean install has directx 12 in it, which should be backwards compatable down to DX10. If you have a clean install of Win10, you will also notice FSX does not work correctly unless you are using DX10 preview mode.

I just installed vPilot last night, and all is well if you install this (link below), it is the DX9.0c runtime libraries. This most certainly has fixed up vPilot for me, and probably could be the answer to FSX DX9 textures, but I've got mine working on DX10 so I'm not going back now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

David Rondeau 1322591
Posted
Posted

Sorry, was away for a couple of days. I am running AVG Ross. I will try the Direct X recommendation Evan made and also compatibility mode and let you know. The prior efforts have not been successful in getting me running. I'll post back tonight after trying these two suggestion. Thanks again - I'll update shortly.

Quick Update: The DX9 didn't install since I have a newer version. I tried running in Win7 compatibility mode but got:

http://prntscr.com/8a4coc

Which I think is the same error as before but I haven't compared it yet since I'm in a flight. I will try a reboot and running in compatibility mode and let you know if I have any success.

David Rondeau 1322591
Posted
Posted

I have it running! I used compatibility mode and disabled AVG while I loaded and it worked. I will test and see which it was, but one of those two seems to have worked. Thanks for the help and ideas.