You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A Couple Of Newb Questions

Danny Maldo 1334699

Danny Maldo 1334699
Posted
Posted

First question is, do i need to log into multiplayer through FSX or do I create a free flight like I would regularly do offline and just connect through Vatsim?

Also I have some WOAI packages installed but was wondering if the planes I'm seeing are manned by real people on the vatsim network or are they just generated AI? How would I tell the difference between AI and real people?

When on Vatsim I would only like to see real players not any AI.

Hope this wasn't too newbish, thanks!

-Danny

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Hi Danny, and welcome to VATSIM.

First question is, do i need to log into multiplayer through FSX or do I create a free flight like I would regularly do offline and just connect through Vatsim?

For FSX, it's the latter - you would use the "single player" mode (Free Flight) and later connect to the network via vPilot. vPilot will automatically inject the appropriate traffic into your simulator.

Also I have some WOAI packages installed but was wondering if the planes I'm seeing are manned by real people on the vatsim network or are they just generated AI? How would I tell the difference between AI and real people?

IIRC, with FS9 (which did use the multiplayer option), local AI traffic was able to be removed (probably due to the fact that the multiplayer connection method was used). With FSX, however, I don't think that's true. Thus, you might want to ensure your AI sliders are set to 0 in FSX's settings.

Danny Maldo 1334699
Posted
Posted

So setting the AI sliders to 0 would ensure I only see online pilots and not AI correct? Just making sure this is the correct way of doing it.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Yes, setting the first two aviation traffic sliders to 0 on the Traffic tab will ensure that airborne aircraft you see are indeed representing actual pilots.

You might see an occasional stationary aircraft parked somewhere on the ground if it is part of some add-on scenery.

Danny Maldo 1334699
Posted
Posted

Sweet. Thanks!