You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

problems with servinfo

Javier Soto 883546

Javier Soto 883546
Posted
Posted

the problem is "can´t resolve hostname to IP addres"

Please fellows give a hand with this issue, I have read a lot of pages trying to find a solution, but nothing works, i have my firewall with permissions for servinfo and nothing works, two days ago everything was ok since a lot of months, but this day started the problems. I checked for this server in my servinfo.ini file " server Url=http://usa-s1.vatsim.net/data" it looks ok, so i don´t know what might be problem, please help.

thanks in advance.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You need to refresh your VATSIM server list by holding down the Shift key while reloading (pressing VATSIM). This will force ServInfo to refresh its cache of valid servers and poll the next available one to retrieve data. usa-s1 hasn't been active in years.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
You need to refresh your VATSIM server list by holding down the Shift key while reloading (pressing VATSIM). This will force ServInfo to refresh its cache of valid servers and poll the next available one to retrieve data. usa-s1 hasn't been active in years.

Had the same issue and your trick worked like a charm, thanks

Richard Åsberg

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Alternatively, in the servinfo.ini file:

Replace: VATSIM Servers Locator Url=http://usa-s1.vatsim.net/data

With: VATSIM Servers Locator Url=http://status.vatsim.net/data

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=40871#p427142

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Even better, thanks a lot!

Richard Åsberg

• 3 weeks later...
Dennis Angel Clavel Rojas
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike

• 1 month later...
Giannis Mousouris
Posted
Posted

Thank you Mike, a big problem solved!

• 1 year later...
Robert Bodner 940061
Posted
Posted

I have servinfo 2.02 and it has been working fine until today. When I try to log in I have to now hold down shift and the login icon

I have done what Mike says in his post but it still requires me to hold down the two keys to log in

Is there a way to not have to do this way of logging into ServInfo

Thanks for any help

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Same here, has been working up until now when I all of a sudden have the same problem you describe so must be something that changed the last couple of days.

Too bad because although ServInfo is an ancient software by now I still like it and use it a lot so I hope this is just a temp glitch.

Richard Åsberg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

It's likely that something changed on our end. Hopefully one of the web/data gurus can help.

That said, I did send a note reporting the problem to the developer. I'll report back if/when I hear from him. Of course, the last release was 13 years ago, so I'm not sure if he's in the game of trying to troubleshoot/update any more.

As we know, while a bit inconvenient, the shift-VATSIM trick works.

Another similar alternative, of course, is VAT-Spy (http://www1.metacraft.com/VATSpy). I was resistant to change when I moved from Servinfo to VAT-Spy several years ago, and it took a tiny bit of getting used to, but was glad I did once I got used to the slight differences between the two programs. I made the switch 8.5 years ago, and have been perfectly happy since.

That said, hopefully the issue can be resolved.

Don Desfosse

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

OK, thanks for the info. Let's keep our fingers crossed it can be fixed. If not I'll look into VAT-Spy.

Richard Åsberg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

The developer replied back that he did indeed cease support with the release of his last build 13 years ago. He doesn't even have the code installed on his computer any more. He indicated that since it was a recent development, it was likely something that changed on our end (which makes sense to me). He was, however, flattered that people were still using Servinfo after all these years.

Don Desfosse

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

More than a few I hope. I just spent several hours making changes to the boundaries for the up coming VATPAC airspace changes. Lot of work, but I still prefer ServInfo and if it help another member then I'm happy.

The server list was VATSIMs side last time from memory, it couldn't access the server list as the address had been changed.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Indeed it was, although interestingly, the server address has not changed this time. I wonder, with the "Forbidden" error message, if there was some other permissions/protocol change on our side.

Don Desfosse

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
The developer replied back that he did indeed cease support with the release of his last build 13 years ago. He doesn't even have the code installed on his computer any more. He indicated that since it was a recent development, it was likely something that changed on our end (which makes sense to me). He was, however, flattered that people were still using Servinfo after all these years.

I can imagine it must be a cool feeling when people continue to use your software after all these years. Personally I've been using it since it was released and as said previously still use it on a daily basis so give the developer my very best if/when you talk to him next time

Richard Åsberg

• 1 month later...
Hans-Werner Mertens 819470
Posted
Posted

I can confirm the issues with ServInfo 2.02 from early November on.

Yesterday I had a look into the "ip communication" between ServInfo and the vatsim server (status.vatsim.net) and extracted from html code answer this text:

Please enable cookies.

Error 1010 Ray ID: 30d0c0c9b0b240a0 . 2016-12-06 15:25:53 UTC

Access denied

What happend?

The owner of this website (status.vatsim.net) has banned your access based on your browser's signature (30d0c0c9b0b240a0 - ua33).

CloudFlare Ray ID: 30d0c0c9b0b240a0 . Your IP: xx.xx.xx.xxx . Performance & security by CloudFare

Regards

Hans-Werner

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Well done Hans-Werner, I'm glad someone found the issue. Thank you!

I hope VATSIM IT can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist in the fix for this.......

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

FWIW, it looks like it's the "User-Agent" string ServInfo is sending that's triggering the CloudFlare blocked message. I changed it slightly and ServInfo was able to load the list of data/servers URLs on its own.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Would you care to let us know what you changed it to?

Richard Åsberg

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Please share the secret Bradley.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Hans-Werner Mertens 819470
Posted
Posted
FWIW, it looks like it's the "User-Agent" string ServInfo is sending that's triggering the CloudFlare blocked message. I changed it slightly and ServInfo was able to load the list of data/servers URLs on its own.
Well done!

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Don't want to sound rude but why would one post saying you solved an issue lots of people are having and then you omit to mention the actual solution...hmm...

Richard Åsberg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Wasn't really a solution - was more of a confirmation of finding the root cause and/or just a workaround. There's already a much easier and more viable workaround at hand - just hold shift. In the meantime, I decided to wait until Kieran could take a look and respond - for all I know the block is intentional and not meant to be fixed.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ah, got it.

Not a problem. I'll just go on holding shift as suggested, no big deal.

Richard Åsberg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kieran got back to me, and it doesn't look like this block is intentional (at least not on VATSIM's part). So, if you're interested in the workaround I used, read on...

UPDATE: This is no longer needed; Kieran modified some server settings and an unmodified ServInfo.exe should now be able to retrieve VATSIM data normally (e.g. without needing to hold shift).

Preliminary warning: I'm not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the 'readme.txt' text doesn't prohibit the reverse-engineering or modification of the software (though it does aim to prevent the distribution of modifications).

The User-Agent string ServInfo is sending to VATSIM's web servers begins with "Mozilla/3" - this seems to be blocked by CloudFlare for whatever reason. Changing the "3" to "4" allowed ServInfo to load the server URLs as normal. Easiest way to do that is:

1. Ensure ServInfo isn't running and make a backup copy of ServInfo.exe.
  2. Open ServInfo.exe in a simple text editor (I've replaced Windows' Notepad on my home and work PCs with Notepad2, though I suspect Notepad++ or even the default Notepad would work).
  3. Do a Find-and-Replace operation (typically Ctrl+H) as follows:
    Search String: Mozilla/3
    Replace with: Mozilla/4
  4. Replace all matches. There should be two instances of the string. Ensure you make no other changes to the file.
  5. If you have a "fancy" text editor, make sure it doesn't have any "fancy" features enabled such as automatically translating line endings from one style to another.

For example, in Notepad2, I had to go to "File -> Line Endings -> Default..." and ensure the boxes labeled "Ensure consistent line endings when saving" and "Strip trailing blanks when saving" were both unchecked.
  6. Save and close the file.
Edited by Guest