You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC Voice and Aircraft Sounds

Guy Burton

Guy Burton
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Will post in here to see if I can get an answer from someone in the local region.

I want to be able (if possible) to separate the aircraft sounds (engines/weather etc) from the ATC voices so that voice comms in my headset is clear and not lost in other background noise if a controller is softly spoken or difficult to understand (accent).

I do not have a separate sound card and just use the MOBO onboard sound with speakers plugged into the back of the computer from the usual audio output sockets. My USB headset (Logitech) is plugged into a USB port at the front. I use vPilot and at the start of a session, check that the headset is shown in both the microphone device and output device boxes in the Input/Output Devices section of the Audio tab. With this configuration I get aircraft sounds from speakers and headset with ATC in the headset.

Other for interest: running FSX, Win 7 Home Premium, vPilot as already mentioned.

Any suggestions kindly accepted. Many thanks,

Guy

YPPH

Guy

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Sorry, mate, I'm from the US, but it doesn't sound like a local issue to me.

And, I'm not sure what your question is. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly -- you have aircraft/environment sounds coming from the speaker, and ATC through your headset. Are you asking if the aircraft/environment sounds can be muted when sound is active on ATC? If so, I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as two separate sound cards are being used (the one on your mobo, and the USB device). It's not possible on Windows (at least up through Win7, as I refuse to downgrade to Win8 or downgrade to Win10... don't know why people call it an upgrade LOL.... ); not sure if anyone has created any kind of program to do that.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Guy,

From what you have written, it seems you already have everything under control! If not, you are welcome to join us at our local forums at http://vatpac.org/forums where most of us can be found (not a lot of us watch this forum).

David

David Zhong

Ray Lang
Posted
Posted

You will need to goto control panel sound and make sure for example "Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio" is set as default and not your usb headset.

Within the software vPilot select your usb headset. The aircraft sounds will goto to your external speaks and atc sounds to your headset.

Ray Lang

Vatsim Senior Supervisor

Pacific Oceanic Partnership Admin

Have a question? Email [email protected]

spacer.png

Guy Burton
Posted
Posted
Sorry, mate, I'm from the US, but it doesn't sound like a local issue to me.

And, I'm not sure what your question is. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly -- you have aircraft/environment sounds coming from the speaker, and ATC through your headset. Are you asking if the aircraft/environment sounds can be muted when sound is active on ATC? If so, I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as two separate sound cards are being used (the one on your mobo, and the USB device). It's not possible on Windows (at least up through Win7, as I refuse to downgrade to Win8 or downgrade to Win10... don't know why people call it an upgrade LOL.... ); not sure if anyone has created any kind of program to do that.

Don,

Not quite, I have both aircraft (engine/environment) sounds and ATC coming through on the headset; I just want ATC. From the speakers, there are also aircraft sounds. I just want ATC through the headset.

Cheers,

Guy

Guy

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Doubt this will help the OP, but as for this...

Are you asking if the aircraft/environment sounds can be muted when sound is active on ATC? If so, I'm pretty sure the answer is no

I don't know why...haven't figured it out yet...but I have Win7 Pro 64-bit. Environmental sounds come from the system speakers and ATC voice comes from my Logitech USB headset. Works fine separating the two sounds. However, when flying FSX offline, if default ATC comes on, the environmental sounds are muted, and I don't like it one bit. Haven't figured out why. Stays muted even after default ATC is done talking for up to a minute or so, then environmental sounds start playing through system speakers again.

Frustrating, as this doesn't happen online when VATSIM ATC is talking, only offline and default ATC. I thought it was only FSX, but it did it yesterday with FS2004 also.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Use FSInn.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
Use FSInn.

This is not a solution, vpilot works perfectly fine.

In the fsx audio settings make sure you have selected from the drop down menu the sound card, for onboard cards this would be something like realtek.

In vpilot audio settings select the usb headset.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member