You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS

Tim Howard 1304907

Tim Howard 1304907
Posted
Posted

Hi - whenever I connect to a VatSim ATIS service, I also get X-plane ATIS at the same time making it impossible to hear and interpret either of them. Has anyone else had this problem or even better, solved it?

thanks, Tim

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Yes, I've had that problem. Weirdly enough, it doesn't happen every time. When it does, I get the X-Plane ATIS through the speakers and Vatsim ATIS through the headset, which helps me focus on the Vatsim one. I think sometimes it helps to tune out of the ATIS frequency for a moment and then back.

If everything else fails, you can get the ATIS in text by using the XSquawkBox dot-command .atis EGLL_ATIS at Heathrow, for example.

EDIT: This thread suggests: "To solve EVERYONES question and frustration on this, go to your settings and I think sounds and turn the volume all the way down of the ATC and restart. "

Tim Howard 1304907
Posted
Posted

1 - nice to know not just me, thanks

2 - great to learn about text .atis command, at least that is a good workaround.

3 - thanks for possible fix

Tim

• 1 month later...
Randall Girouard 1178078
Posted
Posted

I used to get this bug but make sure you turn off ATC in your XPlane sound settings. I do not get it anymore. However, just last night I had an issue that I have never encountered in 3 years flying on Vatsim. I located to KHOU which had several controllers on line. Even before I started up my aircraft, i.e., the radio was not turned on yet either, I was getting ATC chatter from both KHOU_DEP and KIAH_TWR at the same time! I reconnected, rebooted XPlane, changed airport locations, etc. None of that fixed it, so I can only surmise that it may have been some bug or set up issue on the VATSIM controller end, but specific to a squawkbox user like me?? Strange one.

The other annoying issue that I have never been able to get an answer for from anyone is anytime KDTW_ATIS is on line, I get it streaming over my radio no matter what freq it is tuned. Have had this for a long time so I just stay away from DTW when I see that ATIS there is on line.

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Randall, did you check what frequency your COM2 radio was tuned? It's possible that it was, by chance, tuned to the station you didn't expect to hear.

As to receiving radio even when it's not turned on, that might be explained by the plane you are using. Not all of them model "turning off" perfectly.

David Lovell
Posted
Posted

I always get the X-Plane ATIS problem when over the Isle of Man, on my way over from Belfast to WAL, as somewhere nearby there's an X-Plane ATIS station on 122.8 MHz!

Edit: fiddling with the sound settings didn't work, but setting the [Aircraft] | [Aircraft and Situations] | [Other Aircraft] | [number of aircraft] to 1 has hopefully done the trick.

• 2 months later...
Randall Girouard 1178078
Posted
Posted
Randall, did you check what frequency your COM2 radio was tuned? It's possible that it was, by chance, tuned to the station you didn't expect to hear.

As to receiving radio even when it's not turned on, that might be explained by the plane you are using. Not all of them model "turning off" perfectly.

Hmm...shame on me. I never thought of the COM2 potential interaction. I will fiddle with it the next time I encounter the issue on VATSIM, and report. Thanks for helping out!