You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot Model Matching

Jordan Munt 1333221

Jordan Munt 1333221
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there a way to see other peoples aircraft without it being made one of the defaults? I always get a white a321 for other people online.

Edited by Guest

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Of course. Did you follow the section in the Docomeentation on model matching? Are you having specific problems, or was that just a general question. Suggest you read the product docomeentation and the Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 3 weeks later...
Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

As a newbee and having done all the reading and much time researching feel I'm now entitled to seek help under this heading.

From my research now appreciate that the FSX default aircraft include a Piper PA28 Cherokee 180 "AI Only" instance.

Have successfully added to FSX a Piper PA28 Warrior II. Running a test to add this aircraft produced the following error message "Failed to create test aircraft with model "Piper Cherokee 180" from rule set "FSX Default Aircraft". The message repeated three times.

Accordingly set about creating my own Model Matching Set Rule using the template provided:

<?xml version=”1.0” encoding=”utf-8”?>

Pressing the Add Custom Files button produces the error message that there is an error (3, 2) in the file. Will you please clarify the error which this code signifies?

Can confirm that FSX was running at the time with said Warrior II active and parked at the YSCB General Aviation area. Connection to the simulator was confirmed.

Will appreciate your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Ian Campbell

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When I copied and pasted your file contents into a .vmr file on my machine, it loaded into vPilot without a problem. I did have to convert the "fancy" double quotes into regular double quotes, but that's most likely just a result of copying and pasting from the forum page.

You could try emailing the file to me at vatsim \at\ metacraft /dotcom/

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross.

Changed the fancy parenthesis as you suggested. Used Wordpad. Big mistake. Couldn't for the life of me save the file as anything but "vmr.txt" despite being the "All files" type. Finally changed to Notepad and in the "All files" type saved the file as .vmr.

Successfully added my custom file. Then ran the test and got this result:

[07:35:11.046] Model matching rule set test started

[07:35:11.734] Failed to create test aircraft with model "Piper Cherokee 180" from rule set "FSX Default Aircraft.vmr"

[07:35:11.810] Failed to create test aircraft with model "Piper Cherokee 180 Paint1" from rule set "FSX Default Aircraft.vmr"

[07:35:11.846] Failed to create test aircraft with model "Piper Cherokee 180 Paint2" from rule set "FSX Default Aircraft.vmr"

[07:35:20.752] Failed to create test aircraft with model "PA28-161 Warrior II" from rule set "PA28-161 Warrior II.vmr"

Whereto next?

Cheers,

Ian

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Those errors mean that the sim was not able to create the aircraft for some reason. Unfortunately, the sim only tells vPilot that it failed to create the object ... it doesn't say why. Could be that you have a typo in the model name, or the model isn't installed correctly for some reason, or it has a missing texture or panel file, etc.

Are you 100% sure that you have the model name correct, and that the aircraft is actually installed in a folder that the sim is loading objects from?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Emailing the aircraft config file.

Somewhere in my travels this morning I pulled up an expanded XML file for my aircraft. Would email this if I knew where to find it.

Your last paragraph: All I can say is that I just installed the aircraft and it became available in FSX. Which folder it is actually in I don't know.

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Seems my undoing was confusion between similar file and model names. Left it all behind for a couple of days away and on return did a complete audit. Having validated the names issue could still not p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test sequence. Came down to my editor in portrait mode inserting an unprintable character at line end while entering the ModelName field. Switched the editor to landscape mode and got the field entered correctly. So now I'm ready to fly.

Thank you Ross.