You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Event Proposal :: TEC Night!

John Speranza 908835

John Speranza 908835
Posted
Posted

Well, with TGIF's future uncertian; and a few idea's floating around; I thought of something awesome that VATUSA could put on every Friday.

TEC Night!

TEC Stands for Terminal Enroute Control; for those who don't know

Basically, it's a system of routes that allows large volumes of traffic to fly at low altitudes (<10,000); and stay within TRACON airspace; That's right, no center.

Now, my idea is a bunch of short hops around busy metropolitan areas, or between them; that's what TEC was implemented by the FAA for. Usually, these routes don't exceed 100nm.

It might be a bit of a change for those heavy drivers out there

But, I think it would be a great way for many people to just relax on a friday night, and have fun!

Think about it, short 20 minute legs; Full ATC all the way enroute; as well as posssibly a few Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D towers staffed; and plenty of traffic to keep both the controllers and pilots busy. It would certianly get interesting, for approach to direct large volumes of traffic towards many different sattelite airports; But, welcome to the fun of VATSIM!

Oh, and before anyone knocks me...(Which I know WILL happen)...

Let's give it a go first. A few trial runs. If it doesn't work; Atleast some pilots will have great options for airports to fly into! But, if it succeeds, this could add a whole new perspective to VATSIM.

- "SA"

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Actually is stands for "Tower Enroute Control"

But I for sure second that idea. Ony one problem springs to mind is the fact that 95% of the pilots on VATSIM don't have all the sectional charts that are definately needed to fly a TEC route. But I think it's a great idea, from both a pilot and a ZLA controller standpoint.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

skyvector.com/all the sectionals you ever need. if this does get off the ground minneapolis would love to set up the first one!

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

oops I ment IFR enroute charts not sectionals

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Ethan Klapper 884347
Posted
Posted

Problem is not every ARTCC has TEC routes. Chicago does not, though ZLA and ZNY do. Do we throw in made-up TEC routes if our ARTCC doesn't have official ones?

EK

Ethan Klapper

VATUSA13

VATUSA Deputy Events Director

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Something like this would not work.

First like said before, Not every ARTCC has TEC routes. The way I understand this is that TEC routes are used for Busy Tracons will multiple Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B's and C's(AKA SOCAL, N90, NORCAL). There is no way that every ARTCC has the airspace that would support something like this.

The only replacement for TGIF would be for the remaining VA's to carry it on or for VATUSA to Rename it and make it their own.

John Speranza 908835
Posted
Posted

But I for sure second that idea. Ony one problem springs to mind is the fact that 95% of the pilots on VATSIM don't have all the sectional charts that are definately needed to fly a TEC route. But I think it's a great idea, from both a pilot and a ZLA controller standpoint.

Oops...My "B"...

Ok, fine. You guys win. Let's throw out every idea -- No change! Change & new ideas = BAD.

I guess I'll shut up now.

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

Yea, thats it, ignore the dicussion just because it didn't go your way!

C'mon, be real. It was a good idea, but there was discussion that brought out some flaws. The event obviously would be good for ZLA, but for the rest of VATUSA?

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

point well taken

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Oops...My "B"...

Ok, fine. You guys win. Let's throw out every idea -- No change! Change & new ideas = BAD.

Were you looking for a simple nod in agreement from everyone? I think the point of posting it on the forums was to get feedback...

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

If you want something like TEC why not just rename it and call it something like "Short Hop IFR Night Event" (SHINE)

????? ehhh.... good name huh?

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
If you want something like TEC why not just rename it and call it something like "Short Hop IFR Night Event" (SHINE)

????? ehhh.... good name huh?

Creative!

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

Yea and you can have slogans like

"Lets SHINE LGA" - flyin to LGA that day

"Lets SHINE JFK" etc

"Blind LGA and JFK night" LGA to JFK flight

"Find the bulb at JFK"

couple cheesy ideas

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

John Speranza 908835
Posted
Posted

Oops...My "B"...

Were you looking for a simple nod in agreement from everyone? I think the point of posting it on the forums was to get feedback...

Nick...TAKE A DEEP BREATH....Now, try somthing...

DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY!

Good....We're in a happy place now...Happy.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

This is actually painful to read.

John, you gave NO indication that you were kidding, joking, or anything other than very disappointed to the reaction to your post...and then you tell someone that they shouldn't have taken your reply seriously. I'm utterly, utterly confused.

In any case, I actually _LOVE_ TEC events, ZLA has had them before, and they're great. As ppl have mentioned, though, TEC routes exist in just a handful of places and other than ZLA and Boston, my understanding is that the routes aren't even published on the ARTCC web sites that do have them.

That said, SHORT HAUL IFR flights are fantastic. If each ARTCC were to host the event, and publish a list of suggested/preferred routes for some short haul flights, that would do the trick.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Nick...TAKE A DEEP BREATH....Now, try somthing...

DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY!

Good....We're in a happy place now...Happy.

I just took a deep breath, but it doesn't feel any different? Perhaps I wasn't all riled up in the first place?

Now it's your turn to try

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines