You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

More problems

Ian Campbell 1339829

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Seems resolution of the "Unable to lodge a flight plan" issue is not the last of my difficulties.

The addition of a custom model matching rule is back haunting me. Please visit icampbel.com/vPilot for snips of the error message coming up and copy of the file being loaded. Note the file page heading in bold is not part of the code.

While I can now connect to VATSIM am not getting any sound. From tips and tricks I must ensure I've forwarded UDP port 3290 in my router. Frankly communication protocols are not within my comfort zone. Have read up on UDC, and located the Port Forwarding page in my Router settings. Only five entries are required and will appreciate confirmation that I am picking the correct options:

Service Name (to distinguish these settings from other entries?): vPilot

Service Type (TPC/UDC, TPC, UDC): UDC

Starting Port: 3290

Ending Port: 3290

Server IP address (preset 192.168.1.0): 192.168.1

Also uncertain as to whether when connecting to VATSIM and wanting to observe I should be taking the "Connect as observer" option. Reason for this is that in the metacraft docomeentation mentions "Shared cockpit(Observer mode). And the role of the last communication service "Observer" is?

At this stage when I hover over any of the communications services in the leftmost window no additional info appears?

Sure taking time, but I'll get there.

Cheers,

Ian

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Ian,

A few questions:

1. I don't get anything coming up under that url. Can you check to ensure there's content there?

2. Have you had a chance to read the FAQ and Troubleshooting guide (http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=64672), particularly the section on Model Matching issues?

Server IP address (preset 192.168.1.0): 192.168.1

3. Can you check your input under Server IP address? It looks like you might be missing the last ".0". Also, make sure in your router that your computer is actually connecting to 192.168.1.0.... in my setup, my computer connects to the router using 192.168.0.16

Not being able to see the error message(s), I can't tell what the issue is, but one error that a lot of folks make is once installing AI, forgetting to configure the sim to see them. This post may help: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=69419#p491161 confirm or deny if that was an issue in play.

I also want to ask if you've used VMRGenerator yet, but will hold that question until we get a little more information about your error messages.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

The answers:

1. My domain name is "icampbel" with only one "l". Have just checked and there is content there.

http://icampbel.net/vPilot

2. Be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured have read and re-read many times looking for answers. To demonstrate, that was where I picked up need to Port Forward to bring up sound.

3. Snips on IP and DNS addresses plus Port Forwarding setup template on web page. There are a number of Port Forwarding Services, all have the same prefilled Server IP address with the blank fourth box.

Cheers,

Ian

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

1. Ah, I see. Your previous post used .com, not .net. I see the content now.

2. OK, thanks.

3. OK, it's the port forward you need. You need to fill in the IP address that your computer uses to connect to the router. Look in your router settings for something like "Connections" and use that IP. Also, not sure if UDC is a real thing or not, but make sure you're forwarding UDP.

I'm afraid I'm not a whiz on the xml stuff; Ross (or others) would be better to help with that.

Also please keep in mind the previous warning I provided about using high fidelity add-on aircraft to model match, and the likelihood of your sim crashing due to out of memory issues. I don't know what that Cherokee model is, but if it's not something specifically designated as a low-res AI aircraft, and it's a high-res add-on, you may be headed for trouble.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

[Edited]

Re Port Forwarding. Confirmed my router IP is 192.168.1.1. Proceeded to set up with this but received error message "Server IP address cannot be router's LAN IP address.

Contacted router manufacturer support. Their advice was that the Server IP required was that of the service provider on the other side of the gateway.

Guess I'm needing the IP of the Oceania VATSIM server. Where might I find this information.

Ian

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you set up port forwarding, you put in the IP of the machine running vPilot.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ian Campbell 1339829
Posted
Posted

Ross and Don,

Loaded my machine IP and ...... wait for it ...... comms active in the area lit up, hovered for the controller name, and had my first listen in!

Was beginning to think it was a bridge too far.

Oh what a lovely day!

Thanks and Cheers,

Ian

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Great, glad you got it sorted.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC