You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Failed to create aircraft error (split)

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Is this going to overwrite previously installed WoAI packages or already notice that they are installed and not give you the option to install them?

This application does not install anything. It just downloads the packages. You still need to use the World of AI installer to do the actual installation.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Rashon Connor 1123919
Posted
Posted

Does this work for P3D !

Sean Galbraith 810451
Posted
Posted

Wow, this is something I've been looking for, seems like forever! Thanks.

Any chance you could push out your personal settings to a config file? Be nice to remember your avsim login and sim preference.... Merely a suggestion, it's pretty good as it is!

SeanG

Sean Galbraith

vCAF, RAAFvirtual

www.RAAFvirtual.com

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Any chance you could push out your personal settings to a config file?

I didn't bother with that because I figured this isn't a tool you'll be using often. Most people will grab the packages they want and perhaps never run the program again.

Sean Galbraith 810451
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply, I figured that'd be the reason. I'm one of the "other" users, where I'm playing around with AI all the time. Doesn't bother me having to add the details in each time, just so happy to have it!

SeanG

Sean Galbraith

vCAF, RAAFvirtual

www.RAAFvirtual.com

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I just put up a new version (same download URL) that will save your AVSim credentials, simulator choice, and download folder into an XML file in your AppData folder. Your AVSim p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word will be saved in the file in plain text, so there is a checkbox that you must check in order for the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word to be included in the file, in case you don't want your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word saved in the config file.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
I just put up a new version (same download URL) that will save your AVSim credentials, simulator choice, and download folder into an XML file in your AppData folder. Your AVSim p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word will be saved in the file in plain text, so there is a checkbox that you must check in order for the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word to be included in the file, in case you don't want your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word saved in the config file.

I thought plain text was the safest way to secure p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross a very welcome app that greatly simplifies the download process.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Amit Tal 1323853
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ross,

I deeply apreciate the work you do for the community pro bono.

The issue is VPilot is, for me, unusable at the moment.

Somehow I can twick and learn every software or plane but I can't come to grasp with the way AIs are generated and operated in your software.

After the IVAO exclusion I followed your instructions of how to add the WOAI planes from download to install to adding the rules...and...my ear is still ringing from all the fail messages I got from trying to fly from KLAS.

Your software is so user friendly but it seems that the issue of mismatching AIs and the messages keeps showing all over the net and in bundles.

It can't be that so many are fumbling at the exact same spot.

I know that I have spent far too much time on the issue.

In short...is there a way to get a step by step guide of how to handle it from step 1 till the completion?

Edited by Guest

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
is there a way to get a step by step guide of how to handle it from step 1 till the completion?

1. Find AI packages you would like to use for your simulator.
  2. Download said packages.
  3. Install said packages into your simulator (instructions for this will vary from one AI package to another and should be provided by their maintainers/distributors; as such, these are outside the scope of vPilot docomeentation/instructions).
  4. Download (or generate, e.g. using VMRGenerator or by creating the .vmr files by hand as per the vPilot docomeentation) the appropriate rule sets for the models you have installed (and only the ones you have installed).
  5. OPTIONAL (but likely recommended): Run the vPilot model matching test and check for errors (either missing models or ones that simply don't work correctly and crash the simulator - I believe the IVAO MTL at one point contained models that did the latter).

The package downloader Ross has provided takes care of steps 1-2 above.

Amit Tal 1323853
Posted
Posted

Hi Bradley and thanks for the elaborate answer !

I think the culprit is the 4th section...eg...which VMR file to generate/ download with so many options in WOAI.

In my opinion, most don't want to mess around with the AIs and just want them installed and working.

I think it might be better for the software to check which AIs are installed and implement them within the 3D world without any need for the user to do anything but to install the AIs.

I don't wish to say anything which is blasphemy...but...IVAO's IVAP just asks you which AIs you want to install and does all the rest.

Since all AIs are installed in the same location I think the same approach can be used here.

Just my 2 cents.

I shall try to regenerate the rules again and see how it goes.

Thanks again !

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

If you use the vmr generator it will do that for you.

Here is an example. Ross writes a rule set to include AWE (us airways) you don't download any AWE livery's because that airline is no longer, because vatsim is a place where anything goes a pilot logs in as AWE A320, vpilot throws an error because it has a rule for that aircraft but you don't have the model installed.

Solution, you still don't download AWE livery's, you run the vmr generator which does not create a rule for AWE, pilot logs in, in an AWE A320, vpilot says hey no rule for that airline, matches an A320 to the first alphabetical airline AAL, no red error, problems solved.

Or you can tell vmr generator to make a rule AWE=AAL

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
matches an A320 to the first alphabetical airline AAL

Slight correction ... vPilot never does any matching based on alphabetical order. In your example, if no rule is found for an A320 with callsign prefix "AWE", then it'll look for a rule with A320 with no callsign prefix, and use that. If none is found, it will use the default model.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Oh ok I stand corrected, I wonder where I read that, it certainly seemed like it was the case in my sim if an airline was missing it would display what ever airline started with A.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Amit Tal 1323853
Posted
Posted

Thanks Kirk !

In the end I did it the long hard way...compared through the WOAI installer which package is installed and ticked its rule in VPilot.

Then I checked if the rules matched and got about 20 packages mismatching in certain degrees.

So...I completely removed those packages (sadly most are different US airlines) and finally got 611 packeges without a single mismatch.

Checked them online and the AIs were loaded (though quite a few were white).

My experience as a new VATSIM and VPilot user: I completely agree with Ross's move regarding using IVAO's own MTL without their consent.

I also think that VPilot is very easy to Install and use while functioning at the highest level.

At the same time I fail to understand why AIs management is so complicated.

I sure don't think that it's Ross's responsibility to take care of the AI bundles within FSX and it's up to each simmer to download whichever one wishes.

I do think and hope that there could be a much easier behind the scenes way of bringing those preinstalled AIs, through VPilot, to VATSIM's 3D online world.