You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Network errors

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Recently I've been getting quite a number of these error messages on vPilot's Messages tab. Not sure if the problem is vPilot or the network itself?

[16:08:38] Network error: P[Mod - Happy Thoughts] error. (Raw packet: S:VTK322:1200:1:55.42089:nan:594:0:8391384:406)

Richard Åsberg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
There is a bug in the server where it will sometimes send aircraft position data to other users that are way out of range. Happens with controllers, too.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks for the explanation and good thing it doesn't seem to have any bad effects on your own connection.

Richard Åsberg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Ok, thanks for the explanation and good thing it doesn't seem to have any bad effects on your own connection.

The bug that Don mentioned is actually related to why sometimes you'll see these errors for aircraft that are nowhere near you. The bug that causes the error to begin with is a bug in vPilot. Somehow, vPilot is sending out invalid position packets for some aircraft. (Notice it has a "nan" in place of the longitude value ... "nan" means "not a number".) The server dutifully p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es these position packets on to any aircraft in range. vPilot shows you the error if you are in range, because your vPilot can't interpret a longitude value of "nan".

I haven't been able to reproduce the error yet, so I haven't been able to implement a fix. The next version of vPilot will likely just log and suppress these errors, since there's nothing the user can do about them anyway.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ok, sounds good next version of vPilot will hopefully be able to handle this problem in a better way.

Richard Åsberg