You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot text window in sim

Jim Harris

Jim Harris
Posted
Posted

Hallo

When I'm flying and someone sends a message to Unicom it flashes up in my sim in a green window. Can I make it stay there longer as I'm not quick enough to read it! (i'm thick).

Also, can I send a unicom message, or to an ATC i'm tuned to directly from the sim or do I have to keep alt tabbing to the Vpilot app?

I have read the docs and searched, but not found the answer.

Thanks

Jim Harris

EGBN

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

1. I am not aware of a way to change the text message display rate. I fired up FSX and did a Google search, also, and did not find any way to do that.

2. Messages cannot be sent from within FSX; you need to send chat messages, unicom messages, etc. via the vPilot application.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jim Harris
Posted
Posted

OK, thanks Don..

I'll have to learn to read quickly!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot determines how long the message stays visible. It calculates the display time based on the number of words in the message. It uses a display time of 1 second for every 3 words, with a minimum of 5 seconds.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Personally, I treat the pilot client as another gauge/instrument that I need to include in my inside-the-cockpit scan. After all, how else could one comply with CoC B3 (at all times check for ATC when in uncontrolled airspace)? Plus, that sidesteps the issue of my catching all of (or accidentally missing altogether) the scrolling text in the sim when a text message is received.