You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Suggestions] Validation of FP and mode S

Pierre Ferran

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

For the next version of vPilot, i'd like to make a few suggestions:

- Limit the callsign field to 7 alphanumerical characters, as per ICAO definition

- Add a regex validation for the ICAO code of the aircraft, we already have a list of all known ICAO codes, so why not force the check on the client side as well? An autocomplete feature would probably be nice as well, so a user typing "737" would get the option to select B737. If no code is available in the list, as per ICAO standards, just tell the user to set ZZZZ.

- Start sending over the network the mode S downlink aircraft parameters. I know the controller clients must be updated as well, but why not work with the swift team to implement this simple thing already, and let others get up to date later?

You can find which parameters are required in the EU here (see page 2, the table): https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/content/docomeents/nm/surveillance/surveillance-mode-s-information-paper-ehs-capability-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]essment-20050516.pdf

I think quite a few people would be interested in the mode S data since "Aircraft operating IFR/GAT in Europe are required to carry and operate Mode S Level 2s (i.e. with SI code capability) transponder(s) with Mode S Elementary Surveillance (ELS) capability"

Regards

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Limit the callsign field to 7 alphanumerical characters, as per ICAO definition

It should probably be 8 in order for shared cockpit callsigns whose base is 7 characters. Or maybe allow 8 when someone connects as an observer.

Add a regex validation for the ICAO code of the aircraft, we already have a list of all known ICAO codes, so why not force the check on the client side as well?

Maybe a database based on the official ICAO list?

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Maybe a database based on the official ICAO list?

How do you handle retired aircraft?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
- Limit the callsign field to 7 alphanumerical characters, as per ICAO definition

That's already done in the current 1.1 beta version. It's actually limited to 8 characters to allow for an alpha suffix for shared cockpit operations. For version 2, I'm planning to limit the callsign to 7 characters, and if you check the box for observer mode (for shared cockpit) then a dropdown list of alpha characters appears, defaulting to "A", and you choose which one you want. (Most users will just leave it as "A".) vPilot will then append that suffix to the callsign when connecting to the network.

- Add a regex validation for the ICAO code of the aircraft

Why a regex? Wouldn't it be a simple lookup from a list?

we already have a list of all known ICAO codes, so why not force the check on the client side as well? An autocomplete feature would probably be nice as well, so a user typing "737" would get the option to select B737. If no code is available in the list, as per ICAO standards, just tell the user to set ZZZZ.

For v2, I'm planning to show a popup warning if the entered type code is not in the ICAO list. The user could still use whatever they entered. This would allow for type codes that are no longer used real-world but may still be used by nostalgic pilots on VATSIM.

- Start sending over the network the mode S downlink aircraft parameters. I know the controller clients must be updated as well, but why not work with the swift team to implement this simple thing already, and let others get up to date later?

If the parameters are available via SimConnect from FSX/P3D, and the VATSIM staff approves the network protocol extension, I'm up for it. Someone else will need to take the initiative on defining that protocol extension, though. Maybe someone on the swift team could take that on, or perhaps the ES team.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Why a regex? Wouldn't it be a simple lookup from a list?

Yes, by regex I meant matching with a list

For v2, I'm planning to show a popup warning if the entered type code is not in the ICAO list.

Superb, let's hope that's sufficient to scare away pilots from using incorrect types.

That's already done in the current 1.1 beta version.

Great, are you also implementing an alphanumerical filter to avoid "-" in callsigns?

If the parameters are available via SimConnect from FSX/P3D, and the VATSIM staff approves the network protocol extension, I'm up for it. Someone else will need to take the initiative on defining that protocol extension, though. Maybe someone on the swift team could take that on, or perhaps the ES team.

Good news, and yes, they are. I checked in the Simconnect SDK before posting, if you want me to list the variable names for you, I can do that.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Great, are you also implementing an alphanumerical filter to avoid "-" in callsigns?

Yes, in the 1.1 beta hyphens are no longer allowed.

if you want me to list the variable names for you, I can do that.

Thanks, but I'll have no problem finding them if/when the time comes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted
Yes, in the 1.1 beta hyphens are no longer allowed.

YES! FINALLY!!

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation