You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help setting up shared cockpit within VPilot.

Stephen Burdick 1296775

Stephen Burdick 1296775
Posted
Posted

Hello,

So a friend and I need some help running shared cockpit. Currently, shared cockpit only works if we set up a multiplayer server and connect to each other that way, and then set up our callsigns (with his being identical with the extra character at the end).

However, we have recently downloaded the freemium just flight 757 and when we go into multiplayer, it will kick out the co pilot with the message "Shared cockpit is now closed". From my understanding, the way around this is too go into free flight. So when we go into free flight and I set up my flight and connect to vpilot and then he repeats, nothing happens. How exactly do you go about setting this up so we can use modded planes in shared cockpit?

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

vPilot does not have a shared cockpit function in that fashion. What it does have is an observer mode which excludes any aircraft that shares your callsign minus a letter on the end (i.e. an observer with the callsign BAW123A will not see BAW123 on the network, therefore you can fly shared cockpit without seeing your airplane twice). vPilot does not facilitate or help your method of using a shared cockpit, and I fear that using the FSX Multiplayer function for this is not going to work very well . You might get it to connect etc, but then issues like multiple instances of online traffic in the session happens, and so on (if you find a workaround here, do post about it). The best way to fly shared cockpit is to use one of the add-ons that support peer-to-peer shared cockpit, i.e. Aerosoft Airbuses, Majestic Q400 Pro, and Leonardo MD82.

Note that Observers on VATSIM do not have access to write text on frequencies, so the Pilot-Not-Flying should be connected as the actual flight, and the Pilot-Flying should be the observer (to allow the radio guy to write on unicom). Either pilot can tune and use voice.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If I made a mode in vPilot where it doesn't inject any aircraft at all into the sim, would that make it work with FS-multiplayer-based shared cockpit aircraft? Or are there other issues besides the duplicate aircraft issue?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Not really sure, I've put the MP-endeavour to the side for now after discovering Falcon BMS! Could always test it and see if it works, though, having a means of flying together without the VATSIM latency would be awesome still.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
If I made a mode in vPilot where it doesn't inject any aircraft at all into the sim, would that make it work with FS-multiplayer-based shared cockpit aircraft? Or are there other issues besides the duplicate aircraft issue?

Yes, that would make it work (better) in FS-multiplayer-based shared cockpit aircraft. There are several that work that way, including all of the default FSX aircraft. Some of the advanced airliners like the DH8 or NGX have their own sharing that's external to multiplayer, but I'd recommend a version of vPilot that does not do injection.

FWIW, the person who is "observing" in that multiplayer scenario will see the main pilot's injected traffic as multiplayer-substituted traffic. It won't look super realistic, but it will look better than the current scenario (two aircraft overlapping each other).

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
FWIW, the person who is "observing" in that multiplayer scenario will see the main pilot's injected traffic as multiplayer-substituted traffic. It won't look super realistic, but it will look better than the current scenario (two aircraft overlapping each other).

Do you know if there's any way to prevent FSX from copying traffic across the multiplayer link?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

It's possible but not without a metric tonne of effort. Certainly nothing easy through SimConnect I can think of.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager