You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM Connexion 2017 - discussion

Gunnar Lindahl

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
It would have made more sense to have the venue near or next to one of the main airports around London for example Heathrow seeing Vatsim is about aviation.

As a first time visitor to London, I am more than happy for it to be downtown.

I agree, although I already have a question that I have to have answered before I can even plan the trip. I checked out the hotel where the conference is scheduled to be and according to their online booking system there are no rooms available that weekend. Nor are there any at the other few locations listed on the same web site. So if I presume that this information is correct, for someone who knows nothing about London and would prefer to stay at the same location as the conference but if I can't would prefer center city-ish, how do I go about the process of finding a place to stay?

Besides the usual travel agent route of course. I know if I lay this out for one they can probably make arrangements for me but before I even consider doing that I would like to get some input from people in the know.

Of course, I am curious why we would book a conference center and not make allowances for a block of rooms, but that's a subject for a different time and place.

Ira Robinson

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gunnar Lindahl

• Andreas Fuchs

• Daniel Gomes

• Martin Tornberg

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gunnar Lindahl

Gunnar Lindahl 23 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 13 posts

• Daniel Gomes

Daniel Gomes 5 posts

• Martin Tornberg

Martin Tornberg 4 posts

Popular Days

• Mar 1 2016

9 posts

• Nov 11 2016

9 posts

• Apr 28 2017

7 posts

• Feb 29 2016

6 posts

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Hi, all. Yes, the convention could have been held somewhere else in the world and yes, 99GBP might seem a lot for some. But a couple of things to remember here.

As a volunteer organisation, we need people to step up and own things that happen. VATSIM is very fortunate that a team of people stepped up and offered their time to organise this convention, they just happen to be from Europe and believed that London was the most central location and one that is easy to access from most parts of the globe. They submitted a proposal to the Board of Governors which was accepted. I hope that this won't be the last convention we host and we would certainly welcome proposals from others willing to put themselves on the line and arrange a future convention on a different continent.

As for cost, there are 37 weeks to go until the convention, which means that is 2.67GBP per week to save, probably the cost of a cup of coffee per week. I'm planning to come to the convention, and I live in Melbourne, Australia, so my expenses are significantly greater. I'm not rich, I have expenses, but I have a mindset to succeed, so I am putting money aside into a separate savings account to pay for my airfare and lodgings. All up, I'm probably looking at AUD5000 but I love this organisation and this is showing my commitment to what we do.

I also accept that not everyone can, but for those able, what better opportunity to share our hobby and meet with other members from across the world.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Mark, if I start a diet now, any chance I could get in your luggage?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Mark, if I start a diet now, any chance I could get in your luggage?

Might be slightly cold in the hold.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Ira and others:

Re accommodation we will provide recommendations to suit all budgets when website is live.

A big plus on the venue is that it is easily accessible from anywhere in London so those who might prefer a cheaper place to stay further out will be able to get in easily.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
Ira and others:

Re accommodation we will provide recommendations to suit all budgets when website is live.

A big plus on the venue is that it is easily accessible from anywhere in London so those who might prefer a cheaper place to stay further out will be able to get in easily.

Excellent. Thank you !

Ira Robinson

Gal Levin
Posted
Posted

I'm confident I'll make it, but I was thinking attending Live!, which is usually around this time. I want to book flight tickets as early as possible, and I was wondering if there is any information about Live! and when will it take place this year.

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted
I'm confident I'll make it, but I was thinking attending Live!, which is usually around this time. I want to book flight tickets as early as possible, and I was wondering if there is any information about Live! and when will it take place this year.

Gal,

A good question - head over to the UK forums and try asking your question there as I don't have the info (yet) and they are more likely to have at least some prelim speculation!

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

• 1 month later...
Norbert Pflug 899571
Posted
Posted

Hello,

any updates on this? In the announcment thread it says - tickets with next 2 weeks or so, well that was about 2 months ago...

Any update on the agenda that you can share?

More info appreciated

Cheers

Norbert

Cheers,

Norbert

wf2010banner.jpg

>>>>>> http://www.fly737.com <<<<<<

Daniel Neugebauer
Posted
Posted

I wondered the same - I've checked the Board of Governors Q3 Minute protocol published last week and (with the meeting having taken place in late November) it says the following concerning the convention:

VATSIM Convention 2017 –29-30 July 2017

Planning going well, website is already to go once the payment system is complete. Next phase is planning the itinerary. Website will list some suggested accommodation based on budget. There will be no official accommodation

Judging from just that information I guess there's some delay with either implementation of payment processing or accomodation recommendations. It may be completely unrelated but I know there may be difficulties with credit card transactions for anything that will be "delivered" more than 6 months later; maybe that's causing the delay as there are almost 7 months to go?

Personally, I wouldn't be too sad if it took another 2 months to enable bookings as I'm unable to plan a full vacation until later next month (I'm changing my job on February 1st) but it doesn't really matter as I'm quite committed to attend at least the VATSIM weekend, even if I wouldn't be able to see anything else in London.

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Airline tickets already in the pocket.

Holiday period set from July 20 to the 31st, so I will be in London yes….

Edited for a typo correction

Daniel Gomes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

logomedium.png

UPDATE 14TH JANUARY 2017

We are delighted to announce that the convention website is now live and tickets are available to book. The website is available here.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Cool stuff, just booked my ticket!

Just to make sure: non-members are not able to book tickets? At least for the dinner on Saturday night I'd like to bring someone along with me and need to find a way to purchase a ticket.

Chris Pawley
Posted
Posted
Cool stuff, just booked my ticket!

Just to make sure: non-members are not able to book tickets? At least for the dinner on Saturday night I'd like to bring someone along with me and need to find a way to purchase a ticket.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for supporting the event, we look forward to welcoming you to London in July.

Only VATSIM members are able to buy tickets to the convention itself via the website; however for the dinner on Saturday, we'll gladly organise a ticket for partners, spouses and others, though it might not be possible via the website - when we offer something for the dinner, just drop us a mail to take care of this.

Regards

Chris.

Chris Pawley

Division Director

VATSIM UK

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot, I will. In case that "she" wants to take part in the discussions/presentations as well, she will have to register with VATSIM, simples. Although it is not really the purpose of the exercise

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Booked...........

Daniel Gomes

• 2 weeks later...
Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Got a ticket and willing [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist if needed with any admin or whatever. Leave near London and also work there. Please fell free to contact me if required.

Bests

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Looking forward to meeting you Joaquin!

Tickets are still available - get yours now.

We will be publishing more details on the itinerary soon.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Martin Tornberg
Posted
Posted

How long will the tickets be out for sale? I still need an OK to leave work before buying the ticket, since I'm planning to stay a bit longer in UK.

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted
How long will the tickets be out for sale? I still need an OK to leave work before buying the ticket, since I'm planning to stay a bit longer in UK.

Hi Martin,

I don't have the specific date to hand when we need to confirm numbers but once it begins to approach we will make it known. It's best to buy your ticket as soon as you can. Look forward to seeing you there.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Atthar Ahmadi 1014334
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

I'm Atthar, an ultra-light flight student and X-Plane user. I'm very interested in Connexion event but I'm not sure if international people can join as well. If so, do you provide kind of invitation letter for getting England visa? In case of visa rejection is the ticket fee refundable?

I'm so excited about the event and hope to see you guys there.

Atthar

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Hi Atthar,

Where are you visiting from? It may be best to ensure that you can get a tourist visa for the UK and then book the tickets, however that is just a personal suggestion from myself.

This UK website regarding standard tourist visa's may be of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)