You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Questions.

Bruno Lindenblatt

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted

Hello ,

Ok so I am new to Vpilot, I was always a squawkbox user since I joined in 2005.

I was flying online today and FSX crashed and I got a error from vpilot about Microsoft .net Framework crash and FSX restarted. Why would this be?

Also, I remember SB always running inside the FS, so i could see the controller list and messages will being in the simulator, but Vpilot runs on my desktop in the background, and I cant see it while in the SIM. Am I missing something? lol

Thx in advance

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I was flying online today and FSX crashed and I got a error from vpilot about Microsoft .net Framework crash and FSX restarted. Why would this be?

I called a car mechanic and told him my car was making a funny noise. I asked him why that would be. Based on that amount of information, any guesses as to whether he had any helpful advice or was able to diagnose the problem? No? Now you know how you just made us feel.

Anecdotal comparisons aside, I'm guessing you got the same error that has been posted ad nauseam that is simply a result of vPilot suddenly losing connection with FSX via SimConnect. In other words, FSX crashed, which subsequently caused vPilot to crash. Fix the FSX crash, and you'll not see the vPilot crash. To even attempt to troubleshoot the FSX crash, you'd want to start with the crash report in Event Viewer.

Also, I remember SB always running inside the FS, so i could see the controller list and messages will being in the simulator, but Vpilot runs on my desktop in the background, and I cant see it while in the SIM. Am I missing something? lol

Yup, two things:

1. Even though it would somewhat work, running SB4 from within FSX wasn't reliable and thus not recommended.
  2. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you aren't in Full Screen mode, you can enable a vPilot setting to keep its window on top at all times. (And if you are using Full Screen mode... best of luck; vPilot wasn't really designed to be conveniently used for Full Screen users.)

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted

Sorry for lack of info Bradley was in rush,

So basically to run vpilot correctly, I would have to switch between full screen and window mode? Like use window mode to check frequencies and atc lists, and then just switch to full screen and let vpilot run in background?

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

The best is to keep FSX in windowed mode and let it fill up the entire screen. So your entire screen is covered with FSX, except for the taskbar on the bottom, so you can switch quickly.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
So your entire screen is covered with FSX, except for the taskbar on the bottom, so you can switch quickly.

... except that you would hopefully be switching very frequently if you're in controlled airspace without a controller online (CoC B3). Even in uncontrolled airspace or with a controller, I tend to include vPilot in my "in-the-cockpit" visual scan (just in case I missed a sound notifying me of a PM, text message on freq, controller dropped offline, etc.).

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume me means the way I use it -- I keep FSX in windowed mode but let it fill the full screen on my primary monitor, and have vPilot on my second monitor. Brad's suggestion to include the vPilot window in your scan is a very good one.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted

I like the idea of a second screen and vpilot, I may set up my 22" then for vpilot and keep my 34" for fsx

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted
So your entire screen is covered with FSX, except for the taskbar on the bottom, so you can switch quickly.

... except that you would hopefully be switching very frequently if you're in controlled airspace without a controller online (CoC B3). Even in uncontrolled airspace or with a controller, I tend to include vPilot in my "in-the-cockpit" visual scan (just in case I missed a sound notifying me of a PM, text message on freq, controller dropped offline, etc.).

Bradley,

What do you mean by in cockpit visual scan?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Keeping a proper scan of the flight instruments, engine instruments, systems, annunciators, etc. Without a proper scan, you may not know about an abnormal situation until it becomes an emergency. For example, a good scan of the engine instruments and annunciators could warn you about a gradual of loss of oil pressure and give you much-needed time to troubleshoot, fix, go to or calculate a Plan B, etc., whereas failure to scan and get an early warning of that abnormal situation may well lead to a sudden engine loss; being surprise by that leads to lost time and opportunities. So keeping vPilot in your scan means glancing at it every once in a while just like your other instruments, systems and annunciators, which will help ensure you don't miss any messages and helps ensure/improve your situational awareness.

Don Desfosse

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Bradley, ofcourse I check for ATC coverage often enough. I already have text messages in FSX enabled, so every message will be displayed on-screen and the private message sound is loud enough.

I'll take a look at the visible window this week, but it probably will fill up a large portion of my 23,7 inch screen.

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You only have one monitor?

Don Desfosse

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Unfortuantely, yes.

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ouch. Probably stating the obvious, and sorry if that's the case, but your experience will be an order of magnitude better if you can get a second monitor. Look for good bargains second-hand; as people upgrade, they often get rid of their smaller, squarer monitors for short money. The last 2 monitors that I bought (23" square, not widescreen) were advertised on Craigslist for $50 and $60 respectively; I offered $40 and my offer was accepted in both cases (this was 3 years ago; maybe you can get them cheaper these days).

Don Desfosse

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I know a second monitor will do great, but I first need to earn some money with a job before I can afford new things

spacer.png