You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Tower View not working

Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I probably missed something but here goes...

After a while, I finally managed to get FS Inn working! So I wanted to test out the ES Tower View. I connected with ES as Observer, started FSX and created the Tower network as 'localhost' as described in the wiki. I clicked the tower connection and... nothing. Even if I in FSX go to Tower view, it's focussed on my airplane and I cannot move.

I think I did something wrong, because well... I guess there should be not plane of mine on the network.

Anyone can help me with this?

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Instead of loading up as an aircraft, you need to trick FSX into putting you into a tower view.

To do this, in FSX start a LAN multiplayer session as ATC. This will put you into the FSX tower cab. You will still need to use FSInn and Euroscope to have the traffic appear in your sim.

To be absolutely clear, the FSX multiplayer session has nothing to do with FSInn, Euroscope or VATSIM. The only reason we use it is because it is the only way to enter the tower cab.

David Zhong

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Or, my preference, just go to the cameras.cfg and disable ownship tracking. The file is in the same folder as fsx.cfg, and by default there are two Tower View options there, in those two definitions just change Track = Track to Track = None. If you want, you can further adjust the view settings here, for example I set my initial xyz-position to be above the roof to avoid having my view blocked by my own tower. You can easily do so by referencing this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526984.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
Instead of loading up as an aircraft, you need to trick FSX into putting you into a tower view.

To do this, in FSX start a LAN multiplayer session as ATC. This will put you into the FSX tower cab. You will still need to use FSInn and Euroscope to have the traffic appear in your sim.

To be absolutely clear, the FSX multiplayer session has nothing to do with FSInn, Euroscope or VATSIM. The only reason we use it is because it is the only way to enter the tower cab.

Thank you. That placed me nicely in the Tower. I can however see no traffic and I've followed the steps on the Euroscope Tower View wiki page.

Or, my preference, just go to the cameras.cfg and disable ownship tracking. The file is in the same folder as fsx.cfg, and by default there are two Tower View options there, in those two definitions just change Track = Track to Track = None. If you want, you can further adjust the view settings here, for example I set my initial xyz-position to be above the roof to avoid having my view blocked by my own tower. You can easily do so by referencing this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526984.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

So I should add this line? InitialXyz?

And how should I mark it, as InitialXyz(0,10,0)? Which axis is the upper axis (because here it's often Y, but not everywhere in the world)?

spacer.png

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Some things to check:

1. Make sure that FSInn has actually connected (in the settings window, in the tab where you set up networking details, there is a status field). If it doesn't connect, make sure that in your ES connection window that the proxy server is on.

2. Is there actually traffic at the aerodrome that you're looking at? (Silly question, but is has to be asked! )

David Zhong

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

l0gSeIr.png

Connection failed.

Z1tbTsu.png

Euroscope proxy

spacer.png

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

Are you entering a callsign into FSINN (there should be a box to input this at the bottom of the main FSINN Control Panel/Window)? It doesn't matter what this callsign is - e.g. it can be TOWER or 1 e.c.t. - it probably just needs to have something set.

VATSIM UK S2 Rated (Essex RTS)

Sam%20White.jpg

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted
So I should add this line? InitialXyz?

And how should I mark it, as InitialXyz(0,10,0)? Which axis is the upper axis (because here it's often Y, but not everywhere in the world)?

Yep, it's the Y axis.

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
Are you entering a callsign into FSINN (there should be a box to input this at the bottom of the main FSINN Control Panel/Window)? It doesn't matter what this callsign is - e.g. it can be TOWER or 1 e.c.t. - it probably just needs to have something set.

I did not and I've done that now, but still didn't work.

spacer.png

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

If you go to the window that is in the first screenshot that you supplied what does it now say at the bottom of the window after you try to connect? In the image you supplied it said "User prob: CallSign is invalid" - has this changed?

Sam%20White.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

It works now, however, I see no traffic. I'm succesfully connected (and yes, there is traffic on the ground on euroscope). Did I do something wrong?

spacer.png

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

After you have connected click on 'Advanced' then 'Pla'. Are there any aircraft displayed under the 'MP Plane' tab in the window that opens?

Edit: Also after you have connected does EuroScope say anything about having a proxy client connected in the connection window (e.g. instead of "Proxy server is running")?

Sam%20White.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

DTKEI7X.png

This is the pla page.

Euroscope still says Proxy server is running

cwFEVIz.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I gave it another try today.

Like the image above, I'm connected succesfully, but the planes are not connected to a model. FSInn can't seem to find models too:

PyyRCzy.png

I tried using that AC_ICAO_54 program and matched with the models I have (IVAO and UT2), but still no models show up in FSInn.

spacer.png