You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Top-Down View

Joshua Black

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Just want to say how much I'm enjoying getting to learn vERAM. Such an awesome client.

Now I'd like to ask a question that no one else can seem to answer. I've made various bookmarks to accommodate easy viewing of major aerodrome ground views and TRACON views. When I use the top-down feature to view the ground display at a major airport with ground radar, should I not see a simplistic datablock of aircraft with at least the callsign on the ground without having to radar identify them? As of right now, nothing changes between the TDM and default setting. All I get is limited datablocks for aircraft on the ground. (Squawk and altitude) That makes it very annoying trying to figure out who's who.

Is it an issue with the facility file, or a setting within vERAM that I'm forgetting/missing? Thanks.

Joshua Black

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I'd wager that you don't have your radar sites configured properly. Can you post your facility file?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted
I'd wager that you don't have your radar sites configured properly. Can you post your facility file?

Can be downloaded via the ZAB site:

http://zabartcc.org/files.php

First file listed. I posted in the forums there but no suggestions have been made as of yet. Thought someone might have a fix here in the meantime.

Joshua Black

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

It was indeed an issue with your radar sites. I'm not sure where you got your radar site data from but I replaced them with the real world ERAM radar sites.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr965p2fvqobtvc/vERAM%20Facility%20-%20Albuquerque%20%28ZAB%29.gz?dl=0

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted
It was indeed an issue with your radar sites. I'm not sure where you got your radar site data from but I replaced them with the real world ERAM radar sites.

Don't ask me. I only use what I'm given.

You da man Justin. Cheers.

Joshua Black

Reuben Prevost 1279585
Posted
Posted

Make sure to alert your FE of the problem. Justin can explain the problem of radars picking up ground traffic to him if need be.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

If a radar is picking up ground traffic there's better than average odds its elevation is set too low. Add 20-30 feet to your terminal radar elevations to account for the housing towers.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

• 1 year later...
Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
If a radar is picking up ground traffic there's better than average odds its elevation is set too low. Add 20-30 feet to your terminal radar elevations to account for the housing towers.

Right now I'm encountering the same issue with ZOA's file at RNO. Currently, all planes show up as if they are airborne. Unless I delete a majority of my radar sites, planes continue to show up airborne. I have tried placing a dummy radar site at the field (with proper elevation, and even +50 feet) with no luck.

Any ideas?

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Josh, ensure that if you add a dummy site that you remove the other sites as they might be the ones giving you the radar returns. Besides that, ensure that you have a positive number for the radar slope.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

Glottman, why didn't you ask me? It's already solved using arc tangent.