You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[BUG] Tracking already-active flights

Josh Glottmann

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I haven't tested this in all scenarios but here's how to create the bug:

1) Track a departure (I think it'll work for an arrival too).

2) Aircraft lands, track's dropped, etc.

3) Aircraft now tries to depart

4) Attempt tracking with a DM or Autotrack

What happens is rather than tracking the aircraft, you get the "FLIGHT ACTIVE" error. At that point, the only way to track the aircraft is to "QT SLEW CALLSIGN". It's not that big of a bother, but I feel like I'm supposed to be able to DM/Autotrack the aircraft if they're departing, regardless of them being a tracked flight before.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thanks Josh, I'll log it in the bug tracker.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 1 month later...
Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted

Just trying to imagine using this in real world Ross...

Only situation I can think of is someone doing a full stop, taxi back and depart again. In a case like that, the center ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming they work the approaches into that airport) would just drop the track at some point so it wouldn't reacquire when they departed again. We would have to manually start the track again. The only way for a DM to work would be a if we removed the flight plan and the tower or us put a new one in and departed it when the aircraft departed again (lot of extra work so wouldn't happen ). For a touch and go, we wouldn't drop the data block at all. It would go into coast if it dropped below radar but would reacquire once we get them back on the radar off the other end of the runway.

If you manually drop a track, it won't reacquire unless you start a track again. You can't DM either as the flight is already active.

I don't believe this is an error but might want to double check my thinking Ross.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hrm... makes sense. I was thinking it's a bug because the flight should not be considered active once track is dropped, but from what you're saying, that's not the case.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted

Correct. Dropping the track doesn't make the flight "inactive" but literally just drops the track. There is a set time limit where the system will flush the flight plan but I'm not sure what that is (I'm sure it's facility specific).

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes