You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim & XSquakBox (X-Plane 10 64bit) HELP GETTING STARTED

Melvin Polanco 1352256

Melvin Polanco 1352256
Posted
Posted

Melvin, From New Jersey USA

Greetings to all,

Enthusiast since FS 2004, to FSX and NOW ON X-PLANE 10 for the last 7 months.

SYS: Win 7 Pro, Core i7 6700K, 24GB DD3, Nvidia GTX 970/4GB DDR5, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB,

Controls: Saitek X52 Pro // Comm Headset: Cyber Acoustics AC-850 USB Headset

I've been preparing and training online with tutorials and videos to use Vatsim.

As a newly registered user I have found it difficult to get started without jumping into a location and disrupting ATC with silly questions throwing their realism out the window to help the new guy. I am confused on how to install XSquakBox, as I downloaded the zip file and it sits in my downloads folder without me knowing what to do with it yet.

Filing a flight plan is something I'm not familiar doing myself, but I have seen the video tutorials on how to do it and I think I'm ready to try.

The more information, the more questions I have, but I have to get started somewhere.

I'd like to get started, install SquakBox, go to a quiet airport and make my first ATC call. Perhaps I can go to a busy area, show-up at a gate and just listen to ATC.

Some of these ATC controllers are so advanced that it is hard for you to repeat back, and for that I want to get myself acclimated with the environment.

I have studied the Civil Airline Glossary/Terminology and printed all the essentials to keep right here in front of me, as well as the Aviation Alphabet..

I'm familiar with getting weather information before contacting ATC in the alphabet order as they come.

Help Please.. Need all the "good to know" info that you thought was necessary when YOU WERE NEW, I'm sure you had your clueless first day.

Information is all over the place, scattered, and my wish is to install this and get on my first Vatsim Flight.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM Melvin.

We happen to have a 46 page thread on this, enjoy: To the Newbie - First Time Jitters

• 6 months later...
Martin Tilling 1244237
Posted
Posted

hello buddy,

hope you managed to get all your stuff installed and going for x-plane. I also fly X-PLANE and am looking for a buddy to fly with i am from the UK and work night shifts, as you posted this in March i [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you may already be getting the experience you need, if you would like to fly with me, you can reply on here.