You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vATIS static noise.

Andrew Call 1312958

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

I downloaded the new version of vATIS yesterday, everything seemed okay until a pilot advised me that my ATIS was transmitting nothing but a very loud static noise. I did nothing different from the previous update. I'm not sure why it's happening, but it's occurring with a different airport file also. I've reinstalled and still no joy. I've also confirmed on both ATC and Pilot side that it's broadcasting nothing but static. I've also been told that I'm not the only one having the issue.

My KMEM config: Vp40Fgg.png

Thanks,

Andrew Call 1312958

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Andrew Call (AC) – 1312958

Facility Engineer/Instructor | [email protected]

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Thanks. I'll push an update shortly.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

No problem.

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

Issue seems to be fixed! Thanks!

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

• 3 weeks later...
Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

This issue seems to have returned, but this time only after the atis auto-updates, It works fine when I first put it up. The only other way I can get it too work after that is if I restart vATIS in order for it to work again.

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Has me stumped. I'll continue to try to reproduce it, but I haven't had any luck thus far.

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

Have you figured out anything else on this? Me and another controller have been having this issue, it seems almost everytime we control. I'm not sure what is causing it. I've reinstalled the program also, with no result.

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Same issue here. If it helps any, I've actually had this static issue using the previous v1 too.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I have not been able to reproduce the 'static noise' that is being described. What OS/.NET Framework version are you using? Are you running any anti-virus programs that may be conflicting with vATIS?

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

Anti virus can't be the issue, for me anyway (I have tried it with it on and it off). I'm using .NET Framework 4.6.1 and I run Windows 10.

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

So does it only happen after an ATIS update like you mentioned? Or does it also happen after immediately connecting the ATIS?

Can you try this version. Let me know if you get an error message after connecting the ATIS. http://radarcontact.me/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vATIS-Setup-2.0.5974.37557.exe

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

I'll be honest it's odd. I've yet to be able to figure out when it happens, as the only 2 ways I know its happening is when a pilot lets me know, or I hit the Preview Atis button, and all it does is click in and not play the atis like it should. I downloaded the version you linked previous and It gave no error.

Andrew Call, 1312958

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Does it happen every time you try to connect an ATIS? Or does it just happen randomly with no rhyme or reason?

The next time it happens, leave vATIS connected and open the vATIS directory (%appdata/vATIS) and look for an AtisStream.wav file and upload it.

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

Random. But I will upload that file next time.

Thanks

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I just tried the new version you sent over...it worked just fine for me tonight. I'll keep an eye on this issue and if I see it pop up again I'll do as you suggested with the .wav file.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Happening to me now...

If it helps, I was online earlier using a configuration profile with no issues. I then handed off the ATIS to someone else and disconnected/closed vATIS. I just went to get online again and opened vATIS, loaded a profile, and connected and am getting static.

Here's the requested AtisStream.wav file:

http://www.bvartcc.com/portals/0/miscellaneous/AtisStream.wav

After doing this, I restarted vATIS and of course it worked normally.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I'm quite stumped. I was able to reproduce this static noise once, but have not been able to since. I did not notice any abnormalities when it did occur, so I'll have to continue to investigate.

Alex Seeberger
Posted
Posted

Very odd and maybe not related but the issue I'm seeing involves the NOTAM section. In most cases, if I do not have anything in the NOTAM section, I get the static on the pilots end and when I hit the preview button it depresses and I hear nothing.

As long as I have something in the NOTAM section, even just a "." (period), everything works fine.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
Very odd and maybe not related but the issue I'm seeing involves the NOTAM section. In most cases, if I do not have anything in the NOTAM section, I get the static on the pilots end and when I hit the preview button it depresses and I hear nothing.

As long as I have something in the NOTAM section, even just a "." (period), everything works fine.

Does this happen each and every time you run vATIS? From the testing I've done, I have only been able to reproduce to the static noise once randomly.

When you click "Preview" on the ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE/OTHER or NOTAMS fields and there is no text in the respected boxes then nothing will happen because there is nothing to be synthesized.

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

So from what I've noticed, is this only happens when I am using a facility made file. I deleted the one made from my home ARTCC and then make one using just the D-ATIS feature in vATIS and it worked fine. I'll try it again tomorrow and upload the file.

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Alex Seeberger
Posted
Posted

Does this happen each and every time you run vATIS? From the testing I've done, I have only been able to reproduce to the static noise once randomly.

When you click "Preview" on the ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE/OTHER or NOTAMS fields and there is no text in the respected boxes then nothing will happen because there is nothing to be synthesized.

There was always something in the ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE/OTHER field but if the NOTAMS box was empty, I would get the static. I put a space in the NOTAMS box which allowed it to work normally and of course now that I remove it everything is working fine.

I have no clue why it's working now, that was the only way I could any profile to work correctly until just now.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I have tried numerous variations of settings and have only been able to reproduce the static playback once (which seemed to have been just a random occurrence).

Can you post your facility file?

I have a hunch that there's something in the VVL (Vatsim Voice Library) that is causing this to happen but I have no evidence to prove this.

Andrew Call 1312958
Posted
Posted

I've confirmed it has to something with the Facility files, as I made a Profile, then using D-ATIS and it worked fine. I can't seem to attach files to this forum post, I uploaded it to Mega Upload.

https://mega.nz/#!IZAAVDqJ!ZViJeVJeznzg4FA2WBwjE-Mted9hn_ysmcY3uW5nESE

San Juan CERAP (ZSU)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I have only been able to randomly reproduce the static issue. A facility file has no influence on causing the issue (and it doesn't make any sense to me that it would).

• 2 months later...
Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Here's a thought... maybe an antivirus software is causing the issue?

BitDefender blocks the voice synthesizer an I thus add it to the exceptions list.